1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft confirms 2009 Windows 7 release

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 12 May 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Except BSOD on resume and black login screen ? Usable :).

3. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to this! I really like Windows 7, can't wait to get the full retail copy of Ultimate :D

4. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Im quite liking win7 RC, the only real reason is its the cheapest 64bit OS that runs windows apps I could get my hands on... it really doesnt seem like they are going anywhere - the control panel continues on its march to 80 useless tools amoungst the important ones, the abortion that is the 'registry' is still there... what exactly have they changed other than the UI and forcing people to use it if they want DX1x?

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Very much looking forward to this.

This is going surprisingly well for a Windows product.

6. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I don't usually bother upgrading until there's at least a service pack, or possibly two, out for the next generation OS. Since Vista is effectively ignorable in this context, looks like it'll be late 2010 before I move away from XP.

But the issue is that, given that Windows 7 seems to be an alternate name for a product called Windows Vista Actually Finished, isn't it just going to have every problem that Vista has?

And, p3n, as to the registry - it's not a great idea, certainly, but the only real alternative is a bunch of text files floating about. This is how windows used to do it, with .ini files, and how Linux still does do it, and it is not very much fun.

P

7. robyholmes

robyholmes I'm under your desk...

I have run, 7000, 7077 and now 7100 and all have been very good! I now run 7100 on my gaming rig. Everything works fine apart from punkbuster, which there are workarounds, but not great ones. To be fair tho it was hard enough getting PB to work in any OS!

I can see what p3n is saying, and its not perfect, but it very close and windows has a winning on its hands. Now they just have to get it out fast (Driver support is aready on way) and give thos poor vista users money back or free upgrade to Windows.

8. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

I've got Windows 7 RC running on three of my machines, it's easy to use, easy on the eye and very easy on the wallet. It's much more intuitive to navigate around than Vista. I'll definitely be investing when Windows 7 goes RTM.

9. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

I'm having trouble telling W7 apart from Vista - to me they are the same. They are the same to use but the task bar looks a bit different. Luckily I like Vista...but I already have Vista, I'm not compelled to spend £250 retail on a new taskbar.

10. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

gavomatic57 there's a huge amount of technical differences between Vista and XP. Just as there was between Windows 98 and Windows 2000/XP.. but they *looked* the same

11. Matticus

Matticus ...

Windows 7 is a great OS, been using it for a few days now on the eee.

It does look basically the same as vista but with some tweaks and a few extra features. But anyone with a high powered system is missing the point of win7, it runs beautifully on my eee, I would say its about as responsive as XP but with features and looks that make it a lot more usable.

The leap from XP to 7 should mean about the same performance with a nicer gui and lots of features.
    Vista to 7 should mean its slightly quicker but you probably won't notice on a fast system and a few extra features.

Also my battery life seems to have noticeably improved.

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What Matticus said tbh. I've installed Win7RC1 on my laptop, it's wonderful. Battery life is marginally improved, the thing feels nice and responsive, and looks nice to boot.

Having said that the settings are so strewn through hell that for a veteran XP user like me it's not a very pleasant experience to try and sort through it all... :(

13. dolphin-promotions

dolphin-promotions What's a Dremel?

I installed the beta on my home machine and found it to be a bit too buggy. Installed the RC on my laptop and it is working perfectly. Though I am not sure if I want to take the risk and upgrade my main machines just yet.

14. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Fixing a broken system is far more fun if you can boot a live CD, mount your drives, and edit said floaty text files. Do that with a broken Windows installation..

15. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

after many moons of resisting vista i ended up buying a laptop with vista pre-installed (Home Prem) and i havnt had much to complain about to be honest. Although now that im hearing good soothing noises about 7 im tempted to jump on it as soon as its released instead of my usual "wait untill the SP" method.

Only problem is that if its going to end up costing a million $$$s to upgrade from 64bit Vista Home Plemium ( :p ) then they can swivle!

16. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Works fine here, tho I did have a few bumps and grinds with GPU drivers at the beginning.

17. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

with a couple of new builds planned for around november /january time i think i may migrate my systems to windows 7 then

18. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

The only thing that i'm not overly convinced off is Homegroup, the new Networking system, it took me 20 mins to share 5 folders, for access from another win 7 machine, and a xp machine, other than that, i like it. I will however, wait and see for feedback for netbook reliablity, battery performance etc.

Sam

19. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

That got the chop on my way to disable UAC, they even still have the workgroup stuff - why re-create p2p networking?

20. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

I'm actually looking forward to the release of an OS. It's really damn good!

Tags: Add Tags