1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 isn't working.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by docodine, 14 May 2009.

1. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I have been trying to get Win7 RC1 working for the past day or so, using the upgrade method. Installation was fine, pretty quick, I started in Safe Mode, installed all the shiny new Windows 7 drivers, restarted, logged in.. and I'm greeted by a black screen with only my mouse, and Windows 7 Evaluation Copy. Build 7100 on the bottom right, in white letters.

I can open the task manager, and run some software with it, but nothing really works as it should.

Explorer.exe crashes upon startup, when I run explorer.exe, WerFault.exe also starts, which is apparently an error reporting thing, then explorer.exe closes. I don't even see the taskbar or anything. I searched around, and apparently the fact that my monitor has an HDMI input may be the problem, but I can't open Catalyst Control Center to do whatever fixes were recommended. Another suggestion was to disconnect my monitor, and restart, which did nothing. I disabled my graphics driver, and all that did was turn the black background to a blue background. Should I just give in and try a fresh install? I tried to repair the OS, but no problems were found. Does Win7 have problems with Shuttles?

All that's running in the task manager:

csrss.exe
    dinotify.exe (Windows Device Installation)
    dwm.exe (Desktop Window Manager)
    rndll32.exe (Windows host process (Rundll32)
    taskhost.exe (Host Process for Windows Tasks)
    taskmgr.exe (Windows Task Manager)
    winlogon.exe

Really confused atm, I don't know how I can backup all my files when I don't really have access to anything, so a reformat is pretty much not an option.

Help? :sigh:

2. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Personally I think you're in trouble and need a reinstall from scratch. As for getting your files - do you have a friend you can borrow another hard drive off? Or someone who can take them off your hard drive and save them for you while you install?

They do warn that Win7 shouldn't be depended on for anything important as it's only an RC, and it's not 100% stable yet.

RwD

3. docodine

No, I've got an external, I guess I can use Safe Mode to get the files off. Really bugs me though, it's not like my PC is a particularly weird one. P35, C2Q, etc...

I'll try using the newest Shuttle BIOS, see if that works.

4. docodine

OH F#&%

WINFLASH + WIN7 RC1 = WORST IDEA FOR A LONG TIME

I'LL SEE YOU GUYS AFTER AN RMA.

Why oh why didn't I do it the normal way.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yeeeaaa... running software not designed for an OS, especially when we talk about BIOS here, and especially that the OS must still be considered a beta, is not the smartest of ideas.
    Well at least you prevented others from falling onto this problem until the official release of your BIOS update software.

Motherboard manufacture should provide the original BIOS with the motherboard that you can install with OS in case something bad happens. One day, it will happen... hopefully. This is something I don't get, as not only it's smart and convenient for the costumer, but they don't have to give you a new/refurb mobo to you and pay shipping, and labor costs, so they save money.

Last edited: 14 May 2009
    Krikkit likes this.
  6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Oooh, ouch. At least you've learnt the hard way so someone else might not have to... :(

7. docodine

It's not so bad, an eBay store has a replacement BIOS chip for $18 with shipping.

I guess it's a learning experience...

8. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

lol, epic fail :D