1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gmail adds import functionality

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 May 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Does it add IMAP import? They've had a POP3 option for ages now, but my uni email account only supports IMAP.

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

They can grab e-mail from Yahoo.com? Sweet - presuming it can grab all the e-mail already there, that's just what I was looking for...

4. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

GMail has had IMAP support for nearly a year now! Go to Settings -> Pop3 and Forwarding and then near the bottom is the IMAP settings

5. fodder

fodder Minimodder

I set my Yahoo! account to forward to my Gmail. Much easier and instant. However, the hotmail support is a very welcome addition. I have been wanting to integrate that into my Gmail account since I got a G1. Hotmails mobile support (even on the newer WM) is pretty horrendous, whereas Gmail is excellent (on the G1).

Just wish Gmail would have a skydrive or live desktop, then I would fully switch from my Hotmail account.

6. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I was going to post exactly the same thing! Durham get IMAP from Monday (about bloody time)

You get access emails using IMAP from Gmails, but Gmail can't access emails via IMAP.
    For example: I have my uni email account which I would like Gmail to access the emails from via IMAP. But it can't. I have Thunderbird, which has IMAP support, and this can access emails on my Gmail account.

Does that make sense?

7. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Can't you download your mails from the other imap server and pop em in a folder on gmail? *never tried*

8. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

No, I'd like IMAP import, not access.

Edit: oops, cupboard already said that

Last edited: 15 May 2009
  9. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Doesn't your uni allow you to set up forwarding?

10. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Yeah, but not for email that's already arrived :(

11. Cupboard

I haven't been able to get forwarding working, when I did manage at school.
    Currently the work around is having a bit of software on a server that gets the emails from Outlook web access and delivers them to the computing society's web server! when it works, it is fine but it isn't 100% reliable (this morning for example something broke and the cron job emailed me about 50 times) and it has to be run every few minutes so the emails get through quickly.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Easy. Set up Thunderbird with IMAP accounts for your current e-mail and your new Gmail account. Drag the contents of your current inbox to the Gmail inbox. Wait. Et voila - your old messages are now magically imported to Gmail.

ch424 likes this.
  13. barack

barack What's a Dremel?

yes it definitely convince a lot of users from other webmail services to shift.its a very intresting feature indeed.After all they are the king of the web.

14. Cupboard

The only way that would be useful is if you could do it on a computer that is always on. Now if you are a chronic folder, then that is a possibility but mine does get turned off occasionally!

Just got to find something that will let me do that on a server...

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I assumed - possibly incorrectly - that it was to import existing messages before moving to Gmail.

Plus, just set up a forward on the server - grab existing messages as above, then all new messages will be forwarded to Gmail automatically.

16. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

That's a great idea Gareth, thanks :)

17. Cupboard

You may well be right Gareth, I am not really very sure myself!
    And that previous post now sounds a lot ruder than I had meant it to be.

18. manxminx

manxminx Opps, I broke my Dremel . . .

Give Google access to my private data? You gotta be kidding.

http://www.google-watch.org/gmail.html

Ali :nono:

19. manxminx

manxminx Opps, I broke my Dremel . . .

Privacy

Google automatically scans e-mails to add context-sensitive advertisements to them. Privacy advocates raised concerns that the plan involved scanning their personal, assumed private, e-mails, and that this was a security problem. Allowing e-mail content to be read, even by a computer, raises the risk that the expectation of privacy in e-mail will be reduced. Furthermore, e-mail that non-subscribers choose to send to Gmail accounts is scanned by Gmail as well, even though those senders never agreed to Gmail's terms of service or privacy policy. Google can change its privacy policy unilaterally and Google is technically able to cross-reference cookies across its information-rich product line to make dossiers on individuals. However, most e-mail systems make use of server-side content scanning in order to check for spam.[40][41]

Privacy-advocates also regard the lack of disclosed data retention and correlation policies as problematic. Google has the ability to combine information contained in a person's e-mails with information about their Internet searches. Google has not confirmed how long such information would be kept and how it could be used. One of the concerns is that it could be of interest to law enforcement agencies. More than 30 privacy and civil liberties organizations have urged Google to suspend Gmail service until these issues are resolved.[42]

Gmail's privacy policy contains the clause: "Residual copies of deleted messages and accounts may take up to 60 days to be deleted from our active servers and may remain in our offline backup systems." Google points out that Gmail adheres to most industry-wide practices. Google has stated that they will "make reasonable efforts to remove deleted information from our systems as quickly as is practical."[43][44]

Google defends its position by citing its use of email-scanning to the users' benefit. Google states that Gmail refrains from displaying ads next to potentially sensitive messages, such as those that mention tragedy, catastrophe, or death. [45]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gmail#Privacy

:nono:

Tags: Add Tags