1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. gar

gar Minimodder

If for some reason you can't get the casstte off. (How hard have you tried) You could just remove the the splined freewheel body. It's more or less impossible to put the cassette onto the wrong splines.

How many sporckets does the cassette have?

2. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

I've tried pretty hard, so i'm guessing it's as fibre+ said. If it wasn't there'd have been nothing keeping everything held on to the freewheel. It's a 7 speed cassette. And Cookie - I have no idea on age. They're MAvic Energy M7CD rims, which appear to be pretty old.

Pretty much settled on having some built up, seems easier in the long run! cheers for the help though guys.

RwD

3. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

What's your budget for wheels and for what type of bike?. Generally you're better off getting pre-built wheels unless the shop is not charging labour or you want something really high end.

Madison (supply any decent bike shop) do prebuilt wheelsets at a reasonable price, normally Mavic or DT rims on Shimano hubs, ideal really if you just want some good quality wheels at a reasonable price.

Also Bontrager do good quality\value wheelsets, and you get 5yr warranty on all there stuff.

All suppliers prices have gone up so buy current stock if you can.

4. RinSewand

As cheap as possible for the budget - and Trials / Mtb...

I can probably get a built up set for about £120... and I'm struggling to find any prebuilt ones for that price. Cheers for the help!

RwD

5. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

I bought some WTB SpeedDisc rims on Shimano hubs for £80 the pair at CRC about a year back. Lasted better than the Mavic on Hope Pro II that cost me about three times that amount, they got ruined after about five rides. The cheapo pair lasted me a year's abusive riding (think rocky Welsh centres on a hardtail with an 80mm fork), then got sold to Jamie for another couple months' abuse before being moved on in perfect nick with his RockHopper. Sadly I can't find them on the CRC site any more.

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Not so much fun on the road today, I had quite a big off...

I came round a bend, not blind, but quite bad visibility where a sideroad justs out, oh and I was wearing a white t-shirt, going past a brick wall, so not like I was invisible. I saw a guy sitting in the side road, and saw him turn and see me, and then just as I rounded the bend to where he was, he utterly gunned it, cutting right infront of me. I slammed down on the breaks and the bike slid away from under me..

Ended up ripping all the padding stuff on one side of the handle bars, took a big bit of rubber of the inside of the tyre, and scratched up the front wheel fitting...

The thing that really got to me was that after he stopped and saw I had hit the deck, the sh*t just drove off... Luckily I had some help from other people...

Bike seems to be fine, its perfectly rideable, and no cracks/bends/impact on the frame, but I've sucessfully taken a huge chunck out of my knee, palm and elbows.. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: 14 May 2009
  7. RinSewand

Owch, glad to hear you're relatively ok mate! Could have been a lot more painful, pretty unbelievable that he just drove off, then again, people are like that. At least with the bike it's just scratches...

RwD

8. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Ahhh that sucks man!!!

I've resorted to always keeping two fingers on the brakes, there's always some tw*t that'll see you then pull out, happened so many times to me, I've just been lucky though, not come off yet. Seriously, it's not like were wearing all black!! We're kinda obvious!!!

9. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Jesus that was quick.

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Nice to hear you and the bike are ok mate - you've christened it nicely now. :D

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

We get a lot of idiots around here, beeing stuck next to Slough. :p

12. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

I've been riding 5 years and still have not had an off. Lucky really. I've had so many near knock-offs that some-times I wonder why I bother to cycle at all. I've had a bus driver pull out forcing me into the right lane, a lorry squeeze between me and opposing traffic I could feel the length of the whole thing brushing my arm, several utter twats who've overtaken me on a junction only to take an immediate left turn and almost take my ****ing head off, and one numpty who took an illegal u-turn right in front of me, downhill where I'm doing 30mph. I wear a Hi-Vis top too, so it's not like they don't see me, they just think themselves better than me and should I get injured it's my fault for being a cyclist :wallbash: ***** like that really piss me off.

Good to know you're alright though mate. I know a few people who have not been so lucky.

13. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Could've been worse: some c*** drove off and left me unconscious in the road with a broken and dislocated shoulder and, for the first 28 hours of A&E, suspected broken neck. Beyond comprehension how people can do it eh? He never got prosecuted either (witness got his plate). Glad to hear you're alright though :thumb:

If it helps any more, I came off my mtb on Tuesday over a jump I've ridden a heap of times (and in fact I built) when my front wheel dug in the landing and tweaked sending me in to a heavy face/shoulder plant. Fortunately the full-face saved my head, just trying to remember what broken ribs feel like as it's pretty sore atm.

After the afore mentioned road munching I only buy the brightest God damn clothing I can find, like a sunshine yellow Pearl Izumi jersey and a fluorescent orange Helly Hanson one that burns the retinas. :naughty: :hehe:

Amen. I got mashed in Mytchett (near Farnborough), so not too far away.

--

In other news, I got the Chris King 1.5" BEAST of a headset fitted to the Furious today, and dang it's sweet.

[​IMG]

14. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I've got top similar to that, except it's only the back that's bright orange...

One thing I hate? Cycling through the town during rush hour, your almost garunteed to get knocked off. :sigh:

15. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Unlucky Mankz, there are far too many idiots on the road that think just becasue they are in a car they have right of way in all situations. It doesn't help when they presume all bikes travel at less than 10mph so think there's plenty of time to pull out when your ridding towards them at 20+ mph :grr:.

Atleast you and the bike are o.k.

The 1.5" Chris Kings are friggin huge aren't they, pretty expensive too but TBH I wouldn't use anything else on any of my bikes, light\strong\pimp. The Comencal is looking really nice, you just need a nicer stem to finish it off :p

I didn't know Swinley Forest (noticed it on your FlickR) had some trails, it's only 2 miles from my girlfriends house in Windlesham :D . I definately need to bring my bike down next time i'm at hers. I've finally got my Remedy 9 finished with a chainguide 22T/36T rings with bashguard and also swapped the X0 for XTR.

16. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I'd have swapped you it for my XTR.

17. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Next time you're down this way I'm sure we can give you a tour of Swinley's best bits. :rock:

18. RTT

RTT #parp

^ 2nded

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

If you're ever free I can shove the Fuel 90 in the back of my car and come over :p Only about 20 mins away

20. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Cool beans, i'd definately be up for that :D

B.T.G.B.M
    Bit-Tech Geeks Bike Meet!

We did try and go for a quick look earlier today, but we went to Swinley Forest on the other side of the A322 :duh:, but we know exactly where it is now. Found all the info I need on www.gorrick.com/swinley including a handy map.

Looks like I might finally be able to see my girlfriend and ride my bike at the weekends! :D. We do go out on slooow casual rides along the river (to a nice pub ;)) but that's not as fun as falling off your bike at high speed in a muddy forest :thumb: