1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dell: Windows 7 price a concern

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 May 2009.

1. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

I use multiple OS at home and in work, and all of them have their good and bad points. Overall Windows 7 has been a positive experience for myself, and I would not be against purchasing it in the future. However I currently use Vista Ultimate 64 on my home machine and it does all I need. I wont be upgrading to 7 just yet.

2. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

That's an issue for me. I have no idea about audio apps for Ubuntu (An article named something like "Leaving Redmond in 24 hours" on TGDaily mentioned one) but will investigate into that as soon as I get the instruments =)
    Your item #1 isn't much of a concern. I would love to get rid of that addiction ASAP! ;D

/dream_mode
    M$ has 90% of the market and will change it's core functionality anytime of the day to make it harder for people to leave it's sheep herd. I'm impressed VMWare manages to have so much compatibility, to be honest.

I've begun my transition to Ubuntu with VMWare, actually. I have a Linux machine within my WinXP to ease the pain. I might install a virtual WinXP machine as well to test files for viruses and so forth. If anything is erratic, I simply delete the machine and start over. No harm done! =)

3. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

It should have, specially when people realize it can be applied to Appl€ and £inux as well... :lol:
    (I think I saw this for the first time here in these forums last year...)

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

1st) You can dual boot, many seem to forget that.
    2nd) 7 is more than Vista with new frontend.

5. scarrmrcc

scarrmrcc What's a Dremel?

oh, dual booting makes W7 cost less.....i forgot.

6. perplekks45

That's not what I meant but sorry if it wasn't clear.

#1 was aimed at all those people justifying not to use Linux because there are no [whatever] applications.

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Ah, I missed that one :duh:

But yeah, very few systems (apart from those uber-cheap ones) are sold with Home Basic, and quite rightly in my opinion. It's just unnecessarily bad.

8. perplekks45

Question now is: What is the bigger market, the cheapest crap ever sold to humanity with Basic or the slightly more expensive stuff with Premium?

9. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Ya even at CES this year, during their Win 7 demo, they were all about avoiding questions about fixing or upgrading the OS to include more functionality, to bow to the user ability crowd. Whats the point in being able to "show desktop" three new and different ways; when there was already a show desktop button. And above that, they kept saying it was due to space constraints, but still sat there and hid behind, "it's what customers asked for" instead of fixing multi monitor support.
    Screw em, i wouldn't pay more than $25 to upgrade to it. My xp, vista, Ubuntu, and BSD all have a show desktop button that works just fine. As to speed, well, 1-3 secs difference is just fine by me; if I need faster load times or processing, I'll spend my money on hardware thank you.

10. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

If It sucks that I'm paying a £100 licence just to play games, granted it has other features but I only use a couple of those day to day. Thanks for the one MS!

11. leslie

leslie Just me!

What did you expect from M$?
    Every time M$ has done a pricing study to see how much they can get away with charging, they have charged the maximum amount.

You could also think of this as punishment for a lack of Vista sales. Since we didn't buy that, we pay more for this. Mr. Gates (and thus M$) doesn't care if you like him, he only cares that you need him. I know many will take offense and I don't want to start a war, but let's be honest, XP is showing it's age, Vista is a dud, Mac is not viable in most offices, Linux is not viable (for most people) at home. Win7 will be the one to dethrone XP.

12. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

I don't see the point in a dual boot. If I've got Windows XP I'll just use it, how does switching between two operating systems change my problems? I either want one or the other.

13. perplekks45

Nevermind... :sigh:

14. leslie

leslie Just me!

Buy a console, then you can pay twice as much to play games.

15. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

for the last time.
    stop substituting $ with S. it's a bloody company, they make money. that's what companies do.

Last edited: 20 May 2009
    perplekks45 likes this.
  16. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

Don't sigh at me...Makes me feel stupid. :wallbash:

17. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

I'd rather use VMWare instead of a physical partition for a second boot. But both solutions should kill off most of your application problems.
    What it does not solve is the price matter, and if price wasn't a problem, then we wouldn't be having this discussion =)

I've never felt the need to move off Windows like I do now.. Maybe they aren't wrong when they keep saying it's the Linux year (at least at heart) :\

18. perplekks45

Sorry b5k. :)

What I meant to say was that all those whiners should just suck it up and dual boot instead of making up excuses why they can't use Linux. If you REALLY want to use Linux [be it Ubuntu, SuSE, KDE, Debian or whatever] but some of your applications won't run then you could dual boot or as nicae said use a VM. That was the point I was trying to make.

Oh, and I agree 100% with Fod. :thumb:

19. leslie

leslie Just me!

Hey Fod, which do you think people found more annoying, my use of the $ or your using gigantic text to make it an issue?:eyebrow:

Yes, they are in it for money, but there is also this long forgotten thing called ETHICS. Which they lack.

P.S.
    I thought the $ seemed appropriate for the thread considering the subject, I don't normally do that, maybe I should make it a habit seeing as how it evoked such an over-reaction. Have a nice day. :D

(My apologies to the rest of you for driving the tread off topic)

20. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

wait just a moment. since when did charging a price which the vast majority of people are prepared to pay become unethical?
    normal people call this practice 'good business sense'.

Tags: Add Tags