1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Spielberg: Virtual Reality is the future

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 May 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

next: OnLive 3D

3. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Virtual reality devices that allow gamers to interface directly with their tv... much like a games console I think... This goes in circles.

He thinks consoles will be replaced by these devices... which essentially are consoles?

Am I just getting confused?

4. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Nah, I think Spielberg is confused :p

5. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

I was thinking the other day that, virtual reality will probably make a come-back once ray tracing can be done up to 30fps @ 1280x720p. And with any luck the wearable devices won't have to be so damned big.

6. choupolo

choupolo What's a Dremel?

So much media in the past has fantasised about holgraphic 3D touchably interactive games/experiences that its hard to think we'll ever give up on the idea - especially for a director like Stephen Spielberg. The days when we walk into our own bespoke media rooms to actually take part in our games is nigh. Can't imagine it'll be purchasable for ~£150 any time soon though!

In the meantime - at least we can try to do better than: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkzF56tGYSg

Awoogah! :D

7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

LOL thats like saying we will have flying cars, its like duh the future is the future so anything that can be thought of will one day happen so of course virtual reality will be how people will game in the future but still be awesome if that was in my life time. Ultimate goal Halodecks ^__^

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

BTL baby :)

9. Rexxie

Rexxie What's a Dremel?

Virtual reality has been talked about for ages and ages and ages. It's always "the next big thing". Have not seen any big progress in ages though.

10. dylAndroid

dylAndroid is human?

You only think that because you took the blue pill. :p

11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya the military has some kickass virtual reality training simulators, but they cost a few mill, hell Nasa has one that cost a few bill but as for consumer ya we wont be seeing anything for a good while.

12. sadlydefiant

sadlydefiant What's a Dremel?

What a joke. Nothing wrong with my 20" LCD on my computer or my 108cm plasma for one of my consoles.
    Reminds me of the movies called lawn mower man 1 and 2.

13. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

Hate to disappoint you but we already have flying cars. they are due to be on generally pre-release to the people who can afford them in 2011 and its already had it first sucessful maiden flight.

Flying Cars link

Only down side is that the car costs £138,000 and to get into the queue to buy one you have to put 10k of that up front just to get on the list apparently it flies at 115 mph and has a range of 500 miles on one tank of normal petrol. I bet its a pain to program the sat nav though I can imagine it now.

turn left at the next cloud and travel for 1 mile until you see the next goose.

14. barack

barack What's a Dremel?

yes its right, whenever something advanced comes in field it outclasses the previous invention.That's why he said virtual reality will replace the gaming consoles, this does'nt means that peoples will throw out gaming consoles.

15. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

and I'm a gay robot.

16. bridgesentry

bridgesentry 3verything must bee wat3rcooled

not needed, they will turn you up and down by a special chair:D

17. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Steven should stick to making blockbuster movies. How often have we heared people say VR devices will be the future of gaming.

I really hope he is wrong, cos i bought a 24" monitor on Monday and would like to get some mileage out of it before I have to dress up as a gimp in a VR headset and prance about my front room playing the latest games.

18. choupolo

choupolo What's a Dremel?

VR goggles would be great with racing games like GTR. One better than Track IR - but would probably make me feel very motion sick!

I'm sure Wii2 will get a VR set along with the waggle.

Tags: Add Tags