1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Firefox calling out!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nicb, 22 May 2009.

1. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

I like having as much control over my computer as possible. I don't like my computer doing things I did not tell it to do. I have many programs to monitor or control any Out/In/Pass connections.
    CommView
    Protowall 2
    NetworkMiner
    NWInvestigator, etc.
    I have not had a virus in about 4 years. I use no toolbars, I could go on all day, but it would be a waste of time. I've been able to silence my computer on the internet in almost all cases but one.
    When Firefox first opens up it makes this connection to google:

Host IP: eh-in-f121.google.com

I have gone to about:config in Firefox and disabled update certificates / authorities but it does not seem to work.

I know this may be extreme thinking, but I want it to stop.

I don't have anything to hide guys,....... but like to some people that want to squeeze out and extra FPS from their GPU, my hobby is to stop one more unauthorized connection to the internet.

Anybody have any ideas to what is happening? I thought it was certificate connections but it does not seem to be the case. And I don't have a default page that is google.

Edit: For first time readers I can see that this post looks like I'm trying to be anonymous (Impossible) on the internet, but its just about controlling programs from unnecessary actions.

Last edited: 23 May 2009
  2. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Is Google your homepage, if so, have you tried using no homepage. No comment on your mental health status :D

3. Nicb

My home page is Bit-Tech. :D

I think I just figured it out soon after I posted.

Firefox comes with google map tools. You can view it by clicking on "tools"
    I think that explains it. :rock:

Now to decide if I want to keep it or not. :geek:

4. Turbotab

Isn't that part of google toolbar, not Firefox itself?

5. Nicb

Depends on how you want to view it I guess.

Firefox began adding google toolbar accessories but it does not work like the trogan Google toolbar that is so common. It's an add-on, but it is not working like a tracker. Only places a cookie if you choose to use them.

Two things from google come with Firefox:
    Google maps Tool and The Search Engine

I can disable them, even remove them.

What do you think?

6. Nicb

By the way, I did not answer your question Turbotab. It is included in the installation and is not an option to not include it.
    It's integrated into the installation, but that does not mean it can not be removed after installation.

7. Turbotab

I can't see in it in my copy of Firefox 3.0.10 or beta 3.5 beta 4, can you post a screenprint of it, for my curiosity, thanks.

8. gnutonian

gnutonian What's a Dremel?

Ditto here, I can't see anything related to Google Maps either. There's the standard Google search box in the toolbar, but no extensions or plug-ins (and nothing in Tools).

I'm at work though (not my fault I have to wait for stuff and have nothing better to do :p), and should probably check again when I get home (different OS). It'd be interesting to see, once I understand what you mean, if those things have been removed in IceCat.

9. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

No google tools are included by default, please don't misinform.

10. Nicb

I'm very sure I did not choose to install these. But who knows check out the picture below.

[​IMG]

11. Nicb

aaahhhh :duh: sorry your right some where in one of my addons included the google map tools. But I did not specificaly choose the addon Google map tools. Now I have to find out which one it was.

But on my wifes clean FF with no addons there still is the google search bar to the right.

I'am trying to install a Q6600 and having problems and dealing with this. I'm not focused. I think I need to do one at a time. haha

Thanks guys

12. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

you can always redirect it in the hosts file %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\

add in 127.0.0.1 eh-in-f121.google.com

13. Nicb

the hippoz, thats a good idea. I'm going to do that now.

By the way I don't use Google directly, I use www.scroogle.org and use encrypted search.

14. barack

barack What's a Dremel?

i also think that it is due to the Google toolbar, i have heard sometimes that toolbar works as a spy for detecting network sites.

15. thehippoz

XD what kind of searches you trying to hide.. I think they could track it back to you- fbi would go to scroogle and waterboard the guy for his logs

16. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Er... OCD much? o_O

There are always going to be ways of tracking you, unless you don't use the internet at all.. AFAIK Firefox integrates quite a few things from Google out of the box, mainly the search.

You could always use a different browser though ;)

17. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Don't forget the tinfoil/armadillo hat!

;)

18. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Yeah no offence but I haven't had a virus on any of my networks (I run 3) in more than 5 years now and I haven't got half of that stuff you mentioned installed. I smell paranoia? I am aware of the ability of both the US and the UK governments to closely monitor internet usage for any individual they want, and wouldn't be surprised if I myself was being monitored, but unless you actually are doing something illegal (and I'm not talking about filesharing here) there really is no need for the measures you're taking.

19. Nicb

I'm some what old school. I'm 31 and worked with my dad when I was 13 on computers and helped start a small computer business. Back then the internet was wide open, computers performed simple task. When you where on the internet communicating you knew it was just you the ISP and the other person. Then programs became more complicated and viruses and such arrived. Back then you could instantly see the impact on your computer if it was performing more than just the task at hand from you. So we ended up spending time figuring out what was going on in the back ground that we did not know about and try to end it. That has always stuck with me in a hobby like way. If I did have a negative view on such things I would have to say I find it profiling and violating my expectation of what I thought this program would do or not do. But at the same time I'm not disturbed by it, I just like to stop it, makes me feel in control. :nono:

It's fun for me to put a program in a sand box and find out what it does and eliminate unnecessary actions. I'm not paranoid but when I'm bored with other things I'll start picking on a program I haven't looked at closely and see what I can do. preferably before I do a complete install. Also I like to make portable versions of programs.

I use linux OS's 64 and a Lite XP Pro Corp 32 version I did my self. I have a network of 4 computers that have not had problems in years. A lot of what I do is over kill, granted. But because I try to learn the hidden things behind the curtains over all it ends up good in the end. My computers are fast to boot and shut down and the two old ones I use are as fast as my new ones because of the basic "processes" and actions they perform. I have a Asus Eee Atom processor that will boot in 19 sec (compared to over 2 min when I first got it) plays HD video because of how light the OS is.

It's not about average worries viruses, hiding things, believing you can be on the internet anonymously.:duh: Its all about simplifying a complicated system from unnecessary things that do not benefit it's user. Almost every program I use except XP and games are free and open source/GNU.

Sum up, if I don't use it get rid of it. If it does non beneficial things for the user stop it. But it has nothing to do with secrecy. :thumb:

20. thehippoz

sounds like a true tweaker nicb :)