1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Empire: Total Farce

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dr_Horse, 16 May 2009.

1. Dr_Horse

Dr_Horse What's a Dremel?

Is anyone else still having problems with Empire? When it's running it runs amazingly on my system, but the random crashes to desktop are beyond a joke now. I get excited with every patch but all that happens is the old errors are replaced with new ones.

I feel like I paid £30 for a playable demo, and don't mention the hundreds spent upgrading my comp to play it in the first place. Gutted.

Is anyone else in a similar position?

2. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Not really, it's only CTD once during a multiplayer 4v4 game.

TBH, I've played this game way too much. If you were part way through a Grand Campaign before the patch, then you'll need to start a new one for it to take effect as the old save games won't be fully up to date. The only major issue we found is the 'no response from host' in multiplayer which can be sorted by running hamachi.

A couple of things to try while I remember; turn down anisotropic filtering to trilinear. I was speaking to someone earlier who was having issues with it turned to x16. Also, make sure you're using the latest graphics drivers, although I'm still on nVidia's 180.48 under Vista x64.

Last edited: 17 May 2009
  3. Dr_Horse

I've started new games with each patch, all the latest drivers, reinstalled the game even. Hadn't heard that thing about the filtering though, good call, I'll give it a go. If that doesn't help then I'm installing win7 this week which might work.

4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

i wish you good luck. Spending so much for a game and not being able to play is extremely frustrating. I know what you have to deal with

5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Fyi, my current graphics setting are; All high except shadows which are on low* / Anti-Aliasing x2 / Texture Filtering Trilinear / Unit Size Large / All check boxes below except SSAO, VSync and depth of field.

*Not sure why shadows are low, I'm cranking them back up. It's running at 1600x1200 on an nVidia GTX260 maxcore and E6600 at stock speeds. Drivers are as above, but honestly, I haven't been seeing the same problems as everybody else.

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Have they fixed the naval selection yet? My game constantly crashes whenever I try to select certain naval units and it was quite a common problem as you got further into the campaign.

7. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

8. Peter187

Peter187 What is a Dremel?

lol this is the only game I've ever bought that locks my comp up. I also feel like it's a demo off the front cover of a mag from the newagent. Having all the setting on high with no eye candy seems to run ok, but I still get flickering in game.

Also try and use some of the basic sound settings.....should ease the load on the bugs.

9. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

ETW was released as a Beta, but the last patch (1.2 in 29/04/2009) finally corrected my crashes and made VH economy a challenge.

Next patch will come with CPU multi-thread gains.

10. Dr_Horse

Started yet another new game, this time with anisotropic filtering turned down as suggested. Around 30 years in and it's crashing to desktop again.

Seriously, this is the first PC game since COD4 which has lived up to its billing gameplay wise and it doesn't even work. Next time I'll spend my money on a console.

11. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

just wondering, have the memory leaks been fixed? i haven't played since the april patch because the degrading performance pissed me off. it's still an excellent game though. one of the best.

12. barack

barack What's a Dremel?

looks very frustrating hope reinstalling will solve this.

13. impar

impar Minimodder

14. Rapp

Rapp Minimodder

I have had lots of problems with the game as well, such as not being able to select some naval ships because they get bugged and crash the game, which is really annoying when they have got a big army on board I just have to leave them to rot and wasting money.

It also seems to crash a lot during battles both sea and land the sea battles are less common now since some of the patches but its just become a real pain to play with how often it crashes. I really want to like the game, I'm a big fan of all the other releases and this one is so close to being great but its just been plagued with problems for me

15. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    CA changed the grid pattern of the map (now the map has a lot more possible destinations) when the game tries to calculate the possible destination of the fleet it crashes.
    Correction should come on next patch.

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

That's good to hear, there is a noticeable delay when you click on a fleet. I have 1 fleet right now where I click on it and it CTDs. Unfortunately this has a big army in it and fleets are even more vital than ever in Empire compared to other Total Wars so this bug is pretty devastating to the game.

17. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

i specifically mean the leaky ram issue. it basically causes to performance to drop over time until things become unbearable slow to load, frame rates hit single digits and crashing is inevitable for meager tasks such as clicking on a large army or fleet. so far, I've heard the only way to "fix" it is to reboot your pc.

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    The click delay is also caused by the new movement system.
    Should also be corrected in 1.3.
    If you give the game more RAM, the slow-down effect takes longer to notice.
    Not a fix, but it helps.

1.3 is expected to come with an improved CPU multi-threaded system too.

19. Rapp

Rapp Minimodder

do you know when 1.3 patch is due out?? would be get to get it working again

20. Dr_Horse

A patch to fix the patch? Hilarious.

After going back 6 years worth of saves I've found one that didn't ctd on 1733 (I'll let you do the maths on how many turns I had to re-play through to progress) but I'm around 1973 now. I've had a couple of fort defenses that have dropped to 1fps following deployment but those are fixed by just restarting the game.

It's an amazing game but my ctrl and S buttons are worn out!