1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Win 7 SE three-app limit to go

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 May 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. NeedlesKane

NeedlesKane You're a Dremel

i think its a good idea, though tbh with max specs like that on the netbook, theyll be lucky to get away with more than 3 apps

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

BUt if MS impose max specs like that, they'll be shooting themselves in the foot. They're trying to cripple the hardware specs of netbooks - for whatever reason - but then surely netbook manufacturers will just go back to using a version of Linux that doesn't have any limitations.

It's a bit short-sighted of MS, imho.

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

You're completely missing the point. They're not trying to limit the hardware at all, what they want is for more premium versions of Windows 7 (like Home Premium) to be installed instead of the low-end, limited versions.

Starter edition is there to get Windows on to the very cheapest netbooks (rather than Linux). Home Premium and all of the "Premium" versions are aimed at the masses who want a more complete experience and are willing to pay for it.

5. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

hmm, another sensible move from MS...... does anyone else feel that the world might implode at any minute?

6. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

No. M$ should leave in the 3 app limit... may as well turn it down to 2.
    It'll force even more people into using linux, and convince even more that it's the way to go.
    Two main things are keeping them in the lead for the desktop/server. 1) exchange, and 2) the lack of newer games for linux.

I say let them shoot themselves in their foot and see where it gets them. It's no wonder so many people resort to pirating their dodgy OS. They pretend to provide a valuable piece of software and the users pretend to pay. ;)

C'mon M$, even Apple went the Unix route years ago.

(I'm very sorry to all the M$ fanboys/fangirls/fanits that I may have offended. The truth hurts, no go cry in the corner.)

p.s. I use linux on everything. I'm not missing anything for games since I have a couple consoles for those. And on a plus side I don't have to worry about rootkits like you do on a PC (spore, bioshock, sony pictures DVDs (maybe blu-rays too), etc.)

p.p.s. I don't mean to start a flame war. I'm just stating my opinion, which is based on my experience with the above mentioned products. I know a lot of peoples opinions may differ quite substantially and I accept that. It all really comes down to what you want to do with your computer and what your personal preferences are.

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

If what you said in your PPS is true, why writing in such an aggressive way in the first place? :eyebrow:

I think a nice Win7 netbook for next Christmas might be something I could look forward to. Getting rid of the 3-apps-at-a-time limit is a good idea though I think Needles might be right, depending on the applications used they'll be struggling running more than 3 anyways.
    I've had 99% positive experiences with Win7 so far and MS seem to do a couple of things a lot better than with previous versions. I'm aware there are a lot of people who had trouble of some sort or another with it and I won't say it's anywhere near perfect, but it's the closest MS have ever come in my opinion.

8. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Just another Microsoft License to Print Money!

9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

What is? An OS? Yes, that's part of their portfolio. :eyebrow:

10. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Yes but they do it so well... don't you agree?

11. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I also imagine their trying to avoid the Vista situation where people bought "Vista capable" machines that barely ran it. If you've got a really underpowered Netbook, MS will push you into using the 'correct' version of the OS (i.e. Started Edition).

They're really just making sure the right products target the right market. There's no point pushing Premium editions on the Netbook market, and they'll only get problems if they push Starter Edition on anything other than the weakeast of Netbooks.

12. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

How on god's green earth did they not get sued for imposing the 3 app limit at any time thing?

13. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Because it's there program and they can make it do whatever the hell they like.

14. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

What they're trying to do: make the starter edition just underpowered enough so people will go buy the 'full' OS

What they'll achieve: cripple an entire genre of laptops into being artificially underpowered, pissing off everyone in the process.

I can see why they're doing it, but damn it's a stupid move...

15. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I think you'll find its the hardware vendors making the netbooks underpowered... not Microsoft. Windows 7 runs just as well as Linux or XP on netbooks.

16. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

think i maybe worded it a bit wrong.

win7 does run nice on slow hardware, but thats not the point.
    it's the arbitrary hardware limitations that annoys me.

17. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Those updated limitations are at the request of Intel who are worried about new chipset's & platforms coming along that they cannot compete with at the moment.

18. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

The official line is that the Starter version is not even for our countries. Last I checked, it won't even be available here (although if someone could clarify or confirm this, I would appreciate it).

It is not Windows 7 Netbook Edition, it's Starter Edition. It is not meant for you and me, it is meant for developing countries where you can't get a 4870X2 or a GTX 295. I would be surprised if they even had 3 programs that they needed/wanted to run.

This all just feels like people complaining about how a Ferrari has no decent boot, so is useless as a family car. It isn't meant to be a family car!

If MS decide they do want to move it towards netbooks, you will see these specs get much better in a rather short time. But as it looks, they are still aimng for developing countries.

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Skiddy thats not really true, China is considered a developing country and it can get such hardware with no issue, it tends to be for third world countries that meet a condition national GDP, your right that starter edition does not go to 1st and 2nd world countries but what they want to do is make a version of that for the netbook side of the market as it uses low specs.

20. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

That was the old line, now it will be sold internationally to OEM's provided the specs of the machine do not exceed these artificial limit's imposed at the request of Intel.

Tags: Add Tags