1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel to discontinue Core i7 920 & 940 CPUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 28 May 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Haha i knew they would do this

3. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

So looks like i5 is going to be more expensive than first thought. Glad I've already got my i7 then. :D

We really, really need AMD to provide some decent competition to get Intel to bring down their prices and to give the consumer a better deal.

Which i7 CPUs are going to be left? Just the extreme edition? Sounds like their killing i7 off completely TBH.

4. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

I still don't understand what they're trying to do with the Core i7. When I look at it all I can think of is them shooting them selves in the foot.

5. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

This is going to truly piss off the enthusiast market. I bet that the i5 will not overclock as well as the i7, due to its rumoured higher BCLK of 250 MHz, hope I'm wrong...

"Lynnfield's performance is so close to the cheaper i7", does that mean the i5 will be more expensive than the i7, or was it a typo?

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

And then the added knowledge that the cheap i5 boards get Sata3. I guess early adapters must feel very angry now with their expensive i7 motherboards. And why do we need another socket for the i5.

7. Turbotab

I agree, except that i7 owners could always add a Sata 3.0 PCI board if they really needed it.

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Sounds like it, yeah. This is quite worrying, really - while I'm not likely to kill my i7 920 any time soon, if the only possible replacement for it is a chip costing in excess of £750 (more than 920/mobo/RAM/GFX combined cost!) I will certainly think long and hard before buying any Intel kit ever again.

9. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

We're not sure on price for i5 but it will certainly be cheaper than i7. What the sentence means is that i5's performance is so close to the lower end i7s - i.e. 920 and 940 - that they will become pointless products.

10. Turbotab

Apparently, the hex-core i7 will only be an extreme edition part as well, so i7 owners are pretty shafted on any upgrade routes, that don't involve major wallet torture:eyebrow:

11. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

I wasn't planning on my new i7 rig untill autumn but in light of this i think i'll be snapping a 920 now before they vanish of the shelves!

12. Paradigm Shifter

Yikes.

I hope Intel change their minds about that.

13. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

you gotta love intel's constant socket hopping. they really should take a leaf out of AMD's book in this regard.

14. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Good thing this news came in before i started building an i7 rig.

What should i do now? Wait for the new socket or grab a 920 and hope it won't die untill my next overhaul?

15. Paradigm Shifter

True. They stuck with 775 for a while, but even then when they released Core 2, they changed the specs so older boards didn't work.

I know AMD did this with the socket 754/940 going to 754/939... but creating a socket (1366) with a fairly broad range of processor prices on it, then killing off all but the very high end on it seems... daft.

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

damn, so the best upgrade route now would be to wait for i5 to stabilise in price?

after i read the article, i was going to hope on the i7 920 bus as soon as possible.

17. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

I'm thinking the same. Any coments on this?

18. Turbotab

An OCed i7 should last you a few years, and will be much cooler than an i5, do you really want the same processor as a future iMac owner:)

19. EvilRusk

EvilRusk What's a Dremel?

Well that is quite hilarious. When chip companies do this they really need to have a good reason for doing so. Or probably not as people will keep buying from them anyway.

I'm becoming more skeptical about the notion of upgrading a CPU as the trend seems to be to change the socket with each generation. For those who bought Q6600, what upgrade is there that will actually make a difference? Seems to make more sense to build a well stocked PC and run it to the ground before building a new one.

20. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

+1 i dont tend to upgrade as i go along, not the CPU and mobo anyway

so not too fussed to be honest ill keep my i7 until its mediocre but i will change my GPU every year to keep my graphics nice.

Tags: Add Tags