1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

What make\model brakes and how old they are?, what diffences have you noticed since they were working ok?

Disc brake pads can handle much more heat and general abuse than rim brake pads, they also last a lot longer as they're are a much denser and not rubber based.

The usual problems other than pads wearing out are... air in the system which makes the brakes feel spongey and unresponsive, which can be fixed with bleeding the system. Getting oil on the pads is another common problem, which is best solved by replaceing them.

If you're not sure what the problem is it's probably best to see what your local bike shop thinks, good shops will happilly give free advice :)

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

?
    Do bike disk brakes tend to fade when they get wet?
    One of the problems with car and motorcycle disk brakes is that until you heat them up and get the moisture out they tend to be less effective.

john

3. Malvolio

Malvolio .

To a certain degree, yes, but it only takes a split second to burn the moisture off. Even in winter, while running high-friction race pads you don't notice any real issues, as they heat up real quick.

Though here comes the real problem: heat is a killer. Cheaper disks will not be able to cope with the heat very well, and their power will fade. The more expensive calipers/rotors will dissipate heat rather well, not heating up as quickly, and managing the heat better. Hence the reason for multiple pistons (increases the amount of fluid, preventing it from heating as quickly). Also the reason a lot of hydro's utilize dot-fluid (doesn't heat up as quickly).

4. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

On my bike, after a long downhill (I'm talking like 40 mins of heavy breaking pretty) my breaks begin to act weird. The fluid inside heats up so much that it expands, at first you don't realise because while your pressing the lever the pressure just increases the power to the breaks, but as soon as you relax the lever the brakes auto adjust and next time you need to brake there's nothing left.

It's scary as a very scary thing when that first happens, but pump your brakes a little and they will start gripping again. Once at the bottom often they will lock up as things cool down, but again, pump the levers and it all sorts itself out. Oh, and don't whatever you do spray water on them. The discs can just shatter or warp.

All that depending on if you have auto adjusting brakes. Which unless you have little twisty things on top of the reservoirs, you should have.

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Don't drag your brakes. Let off until your actually need them and then brake harder.

6. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

That does depend what your doing though...

Sometimes you can be in a situation where relaxing the brakes for even a few seconds can double your speed.

And having a little rest is for pussies!

Actually, it's more often the opposite. They glaze over and get all shiny. That's when you really loose friction. I've often had to take the pads out and sand paper them a little bit just to get the shine off. They get crumbly after serious heat too. At least my eco friendly ones made of banana skins do.

Last edited: 27 May 2009
  7. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Firstly - I now feel the most unfit I have ever felt in my entire life! Secondly - I finally finished my bike:

'Saracen' frame
    Onza Lite guy forks
    Onza short derailleur with Shimano XT shifter
    DMR Wingbars
    Easton EA50 stem
    Avid Single Digit 5's
    Shimano Deore rear hub, Mavic rims
    Gusset SlimJim pedals
    Cane Creek headset
    Truvativ Hussefelt crankset

[​IMG]

Cheers to everyone who gave advice. Not used to riding again but I'm sure i'll pick it up.

RwD

8. Connection|Closed

Connection|Closed What's a Dremel?

This isn't as flash as some of the bikes on here, but i picked this up from Halford for 240 quid after 20% off...

[​IMG]

I haven't had a bike for nearly eight years, but since i got this at the weekend i have found an uncanny determination to do what i loved as a teenager.... RIDE HARD!!

I used to strip my old bike apart and put it back together for fun, i have spent a few hours on this one just tweaking the breaks and gears. Took it for a 6-7 mile ride last night and loved it (and felt it!!!).

Can you recommend me a good site for accessories and toys? I know eveans and cyclestore, but there must be others out there.

P.s. I know the front break cable shouldn't be there, I was being lazy today and didn't sort it. It feckin up with my OCD...

Cheers

A

9. interzen

interzen Real men use chainsaws.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/

If I do mail-order then Wiggle are my first port of call - fast delivery and a sane returns policy (eg. I ordered a hub, found out I didn't need it after all, returned it too them and two days later a refund on my credit card)

I've also ordered stuff from Edinburgh Bicycle and I should also plug my local bike shop Cycle Sense in Tadcaster who also do mail order.

Might have to take pics of some of my fleet now, including:

• A 1999 Marin 'Point Reyes' which has been resurrected as a singlespeed
    • My custom-built fixed gear for long distance riding (£1600 worth of fillet-brazed steel, alloy and carbon goodness :naughty:)
    • My Gary Fisher 229 for off-road action ... (I'm mainly a road rider - so sue me :D)

Last edited: 28 May 2009
  10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The best biking site (imo) is ChainReactionCycles.

That looks like a pretty nice bike to me, what fork is that?

interzen likes this.
  11. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

They look like SR Suntour XCM with a preload adjuster on the left (as we look at it) leg, doubt there's a lockout on the other leg.

12. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

coming up for 8-10months old now
    It's this bike

I think i may follow your advice and ask in the shop though, they've been very friendly in the past when i've gone in.

It's been nearly a week now, the front brakes have returned to normal (and lost a very annoying loud steel-slinky-spring noise they had when riding fast down a road) so thats good.
    The rear brakes are still quite dodgy, seems to require more travel on the brake handle to kick in now, so i have to squeese them really hard now. I'll need to get those checked out i think!

Last edited: 28 May 2009
  13. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Eep! scary way of doing it :hehe:

14. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Much less annoying than leaving them on then when you get to the bottom of a run, you realise that the brakes are locked solid and your disk rotor is bent :)

15. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Anyone seen a Tour series race/in a town it's coming to?

16. interzen

Yep - went to see the PruTour a few years ago when a stage ran across the North York Moors. Rode up there early, bagged myself a good spot on Rosedale Chimney Bank and then watched the pros suffer as they dragged themselves up a 1:3 incline - quite reassuring to see that they were human after all :D

I marshalled on the Tour of Britain a couple of years ago (another Yorkshire stage) and a mate of mine helped with the marshalling on the TdF Prologue when it was in London. Spectating is a bit disappointing really, especially on a flat stage as it's a case of "Ooooh! Here they come!" and then "Wooooh .... there they go!" - having said that, it really hits home just how fast these guys can ride

A stage of the Tour of Britain is finishing in York this year - the end of possibly one of the most boring stages known to man. Still undecided as to whether I'm going to turn out for it - will probably wait until the route details are finalised.

17. interzen

Totally forgot about Chain Reaction - last time I checked them out, admittedly a while back, they were very much MTB-oriented. Having looked again, they appear to offer the same sort of range as Wiggle (including touring gear - woot!) but with free postage. Definite win!

18. Connection|Closed

Connection|Closed What's a Dremel?

Cheers for links guys, I'll have a little look later today. :clap:

Correct! There is no lock out on it. Might change it for something a little less spongy.

19. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

wiggle do free postage on most stuff too
    i bought a pair of shorts off there for £20 and got free postage :)

20. interzen

Pretty sure I paid postage on my last Wiggle order - mind you, given that it was over £50 I did get an extra 10% off which pretty much wiped out any postage charges anyway.

Easy come, easy go :)