1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Enough power for 2 8800gt's?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pas7680, 31 May 2009.

1. pas7680

pas7680 overcloked Pc = Central heating :-)

my current setup is an e4600 - with a small overclock an 8800gt 256mb and i'm using a Be quiet Dark Power Pro 450w which is SLi certified. I've got a wattage monitor on my system which says under full load (smp & gpu folding) the max draw is 220w. Will adding another 8800gt be ok? it shouldn't use more than 350w but as nvidia keep insisting on a 500w psu, will i be ok?

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

It may be pushing it, but just try it anyway. Worst that'll happen is that it won't boot, I think.

3. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

Sorry, I don't think that's enough. At worst you will need to have a new psu anyway. That is, unless you plan to have the 8800 within its exchange period if it's defective.

Rushing to get a psu before that time expires will be the only way to keep your exchange period intact. With that in mind, it would be a good idea which psu you want in advance. That should include time to hassle with a bad psu if you get a double whammy. After that window closes, you would need to go through a warranty.

:thumb:

4. Ady6UK

Ady6UK Feck Off

I'm inclined to agree with Gooey_GUI on this. Try going to the Be Quiet! site and try the PSU Calculator they have. It will give you a rough idea as to what your requirements may be.