1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows EVE Online Players Sound Off!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RotoSequence, 10 Sep 2006.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I think the skill system is great, far better than most class based leveling systems.

In EVE, you have loads of skills you can learn, and anyone can learn them, no class or race restrictions.

No levels either, no XP, you just set a skill to train and later it will be done, no grinding XP from NPCs or quests. If you can't get the time to really play the game for a week, no problem, your character won't fall behind progression wise, just log in every now and again when a skill has finished training to set a new one.

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

....no...levels? No...xp? Does not compute! DOES NOT COMPUTE!

[​IMG]

3. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Eve skills > grinding.

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I'm becoming a certificate whore.

I have very few despite my high(ish) SP total though, I've trained up in a different way.

5. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

Is It worth starting now

I have never played it but would love to start but fear that i may be too late starting at the beggining now

6. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I got the MMO bug again and just brought it on steam this weekend

Thinking i may set myself up as a mining/construction sort of player to start with and see what happens from there :)

7. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Eve has new signups every day. You won't be the rookie for long if you apply yourself :).

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Definitely, there's a new starting system now where you train at double the speed until you reach a certain skill point total.

Not only are people starting every day but there are a lot of people starting new alts everyday.

I was gonna go for a carrier, only 27ish days away from learning all the required skills, but I thought I better brush up on my core skills first.

Plus I don't have anywhere near the money for a carrier :p

9. books

books What's a Dremel?

I think that was what they didn't like though. If skills increase when you are offline, then a person who started the game a week or month or year before you, is always going to be one step ahead. Is that not a problem?

10. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

The depth of skills in eve is a fixed quantity. Most of the time, a level 5 skill only provides modest gains. The only advantage an older player will maintain over a younger player is the breadth of skills (often times they are skills that don't contribute to each other) available to them.

11. books

books What's a Dremel?

Ahhh. Thanks, that sounds pretty good. I think so long as the breadth of skills doesn't always give them a major upper hand in battles, that would be ok.

12. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

Any newbies to EVE don't worry, I found the EVE community by far the friendliest around, just make general chit-chat and you will soon find a nice veteran giving you some credits and ships/ship parts to get you started!

:thumb:

13. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Just make sure you don't pop in and immediately ask "I'm new, can I have some cash?"

Eve players are friendly, but they aren't usually philanthropists, and they definitely aren't ones for handouts to random people that they don't know (no matter what they'd like you to believe in Jita).

14. yakyb

right i'm decided then i'm starting tonight

i presume that if i give the trial ago then i can just use this in 21 days if i decide to buy

edit -> does any one want to buddy me?

Last edited: 1 Jun 2009
  15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

A good way to compare EVE's skill system to your typical levelling system is to imagine the leveling system as a staircase, if you're a step ahead, you have the advantage. In EVE it's more like a stair tree or loads of different stair cases, some guy might be really high on one set but right at the bottom of another set, it just depends which set of stairs you're fighting on. Even then, you don't technically have to be on the same set of stairs to be fighting either.

Not all skills are related to combat either, there are massive amounts of skills related to mining, processing, manufacturing, research, scanning, trading, running corporations, social standings with NPCs, leading a group/fleet, giving bonuses when in a group/fleet, skills for flying non-combat ships such as transport ships and mining barges, even skills that make you learn skills faster. My alt has virtually zero combat skills but has very high skills relating to mining, refining, research and production (plus the "standard skills", skills that are useful for all pilots to learn that increase the fitting capabilites and durability of all ships (but as RS said, once they're at 5, that's it, they're maxed)). Strangely, although being my alt she has more SP than my main.

Anyway, despite what a lot of people say, EVE isn't all about PvP, there's loads of stuff to do. Even if you do decide to do PvP, IMO, PvP in EVE is all about groups. So what if you can't fly a battleship, you'll probably find friends who can, and you can probably find friends who can but prefer to fly a smaller ship anyway. The best group is a well mixed group, you need small ships to zip about and lock down targets while the heavy hitters pound them.

Right now I wouldn't dream of taking my BS out into PvP because it's simply too expensive for me to lose right now, if I did any PvP it would be in a frigate or cruiser.

Last edited: 2 Jun 2009
  16. books

books What's a Dremel?

Hehe that sound really cool. Thanks a lot for all the info. I am so tempted by this game I think I might have to call D-Link and get help to get around my router issue so I can try the trial.

17. yakyb

ok so i have been playnig about 5 days now i have have 6 ships 2million ISK and im heading for a a career as a mechanic i feel (ship Construction) i have spent a fair amount of time on my learning skills as well as a few of the base navigation skills, almost all of my points are in intel and memory i hope to learn frigates construction 3 by the end of the day, my only fear is that i will not have anywhere near the resources to build anything by the time i have learnt it

I hope to get somewhere near battleship 2 by the end of the week, am i moving too fast should i be looking to get some more base stuff in like gunnery for example so i can put up a fight if necessary or would i be better concentrating on modifications so i could run away from a fight if necessary

Last edited: 6 Jun 2009
  18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I've started getting into it again - I'm currently working on the epic number of skills I need for Mega Beam Lasers and 425mm railguns.

Many skills!

19. FatMikel

FatMikel Statistically not that fat...

I also play EVE.

fatmikel

You need to slow down, yakyb.

20. yakyb

what would you suggest?