1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Dual Loop Phase Cooled Lian Li By RetroGamer1990 - **UPDATE 04/02/2010 Video**

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by retrogamer1990, 22 Mar 2009.

1. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I will make to transition to i7 at the end of the year hopefully, with a new mod.

The PA120.2 for 2 GX2s? 4 GPUs on a 120.2 sound just a little too much for me. Personally I would use a 120.3 with some nice Scythe or Yate Loon fans.

2. retrogamer1990

retrogamer1990 What does 'Stock' Mean?

A PA120.3 wont fit with a phase unit too :( or i would use it.
    A 120.2 should just fit at the top or failing that, a little modding and it should fit in the drive bays.

3. The boy 4rm oz

Sounds like the PA120.2 will have to do then.

Judging by your first sketch and Lian Li's in general you should have plenty of room to mount a PA120.3 on the top of your case and lose the access of your top (1 or 2) drive bays or you can keep the 120.2 where it is and add a 120.1 to the rear exhaust.

The 120.2 should be able to handle it but personally I would like to have that little bit extra for piece of mind, especially if you will be OCing the cards.

4. retrogamer1990

thanks for the reply, but a pa120.3 wont fit due to the GX2's :( might try a single rad in the exhaist though, good idea ;)

thanks
    Nick

5. The boy 4rm oz

I forgot you were using 2 GX2s lol, in your sketch you only had one haha. Yeah I would add the 120.1 to the rear exhaust of possible, or squeeze a 120.2 up top and lose the first drive bay (the rad should finish just before the GPUs) and mount another one on the rear or where you originally had toe 120.2.

6. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

That case man is just wow! Its the case modders dream and I am a little jealous with your project man! I always wanted to go below zero! Really below zero!!! Keep on modding man! Wish the best! :)

7. retrogamer1990

thanks dude ;)
    yeah havent done much actual modding yet but been sleeving cables for the past few days, and the mobo is due tomorrow / monday (PLEEEEEASE TOMORROW)

than i can get started modding once i know the layout of the components :)

8. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

Is there an update coming soon? :D

9. retrogamer1990

should be today in fact, as long as the postie hurries up :eyebrow:! *taps foot impaitiently*

10. retrogamer1990

well as promised here is the update :D
    I beleive i am one of the very first to get my hands on this motherboard, since I got it imported and I can't find anywhere that sells it in the UK.
    It is a quality motherboard, the colour scheme is PERFECT, and the heatsinks look amazing. there are so many accessories included too - literally 7 SLI / crossfire bridges, dozens of SATA cables, temperature probes, the lot!

anyway, I unboxed it and did some nice shots of it. I'm can't match sniipe doggs pro studio, but i gave it a damn good try.

I'll let the pics speak for themselves mostly, but any questions, please ask! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was sceptical about this feature, the OC Dial. but it works VERY well! I literally turned on the pc for the first time, pressed the button, twiddled the dial a few turns, and I'm sitting at 3.6ghz instantly!! :rock: (for now)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a cost-inflating feature MSI should'nt have bundled however, the Green Genie. This is an overclocking board MSI, why would we be concerned about power consumption and want flakey looking add-in boards controling our voltages?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You really do get a lot of extras :jawdrop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

****IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT THIS CONNECTOR IS PLEASE LET ME KNOW***
    I NEED AN EXTENTION FOR IT!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This little doo-dad lets you monitor the FSB (or whatever it is on these new-fangled chips :p) voltages to the NB and CPU, and the temp on the included probe! SHAME ITS UPSIDE DOWN IN THIS CASE! I shall need to make an extention cable to mount it in the side (see the above pics)

[​IMG]

So there you have it. The basic stuff for the build has finally come together :D Now that i've made you load what seems like the entire internet's worth of images, feel free to hate me. but please, comment on what you think first. :thumb:

Obligatory list of stuff to do:
    powdercoating
    lasercutting
    phase cooler (next on shopping list)
    Lap the CPU (stay tuned for that, soon)
    spray the DVD Drive
    Sleeve ALL cables
    Cut some holes in mobo tray
    sort if I'm watercooling the GPUs or not (probably last on the list TBH)

Until next time! and thanks for watching :clap:

11. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Hey retrogamer, I'm not sure about getting an exact connector for you, but those look like standard ".100 KK headers." (2.54mm for the rest of the world!) You could make up your own extension cable fairly easily if you don't mind a little crimp work. It looks like there are 2 rows of 6 (well, minus the 1 keyed connector hole.)

I just came back from fry's electronics where I picked up some of those headers (right angled instead) and some connector housings and terminals. They had them in all types of configs (well, not all types, but enough to make up something!) I ended up getting a pack that had 3 1x6s, and another that had 5 1x2s. I think a scavenged Front Panel audio connector or USB connector is what that looks like, with a different keyed pin.

Check this link to see if it helps:
    http://www.tme.eu/en/katalog/connectors-dubox_100352/#id_category=100355&cleanParameters=1

retrogamer1990 likes this.
  12. The boy 4rm oz

Love that mobo, the blue is so rich, really stands out. I hate your awesome tech lol, not fair haha.

13. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

:jawdrop: Nice kit! That motherboard looks awesome!

14. retrogamer1990

hey thanks for that modminded, I'll do some investigating :thumb: imaginary rep+ ;)

15. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

imaginary?

16. retrogamer1990

yeah you cant give rep on this forum... can you? :s

17. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

You can; there is a little button on the left hand side at the end of the post.

Also any updates? :D

18. retrogamer1990

ah cool, didnt know :p rep+ added
    and no updates, sorry :( lapping cpu this weekend. would do it tonight / tomorrow but have exams and then work :(

19. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

thanks for the rep retrogamer! (imaginary and real!)

There are some pics in my recent log posts of the connectors I got and set up. It's working great!

and yeah, that is a sweet mobo!

barry99705 likes this.
  20. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Lol, you should remember, you gave me some for calling you a genius. :p