1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Activision suing Brütal Legend developer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

What a confusing story. So Double Fine makes game, Activision funds them, Activision merges with Blizzard, then Activision presumes Double Fine canceled the game development, but Double Fine still continues anyway, then Double Fine Sells the game to EA and Activision want money for that.

eh?

3. remixme

remixme Own a Dremel, but not used it yet!

I'm confused. Surely if Activision paid Double Fine Studios $15 million, they have a right to get something in return for that?

I cannot see how the lawyers would allow it to be any other way. Unless there some clever clause in the small print.

4. CardJoe

Me too.

5. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

Showing my age, this is a bit like how Atari lost the Amiga. They paid for a chunk of initial development but then pulled out and in stepped Commodore.

It'll all come out in the wash, there's be some small print in contract A which contradicts contract B and the highly paid lawers will sort it all out soon enough.

6. I-E-D

I-E-D Minimodder

Me three

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Me four :p

What always get's me with lawsuits though, is how big the timeframe between when what the party is being sued for happens, and when the party actually gets sued.

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'm not confused.

I'm baffled...

9. CardJoe

Now I'm downright confuzzled.

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

It's kind of brütal, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure all will turn out well in the end, though. It has to be! I'm in serious need of a Tim Schafer fix and right now GF won't do it as I've only just played it again (again).

11. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek What's a Dremel?

I suppose it would depend on the specifics of the contract Activision made Double Fine Studios sign. A failure to meet development deadlines would give Activision the upper-hand, though, it again would depend on the reasons why the developer has failed to meet their deadline. Regardless of the merger I would assume Activision own the rights to the game since they have successfully upheld their financial obligations, and I doubt that the contract stipulated a return of rights over such a short period of time, allowing the studio to approach EA legitimately. Though, it must be said that Activision's demands are ridiculous.

12. remixme

remixme Own a Dremel, but not used it yet!

I've noticed most lawsuits seem to have some ridiculous demands, it's kind of like bartering, they start out from a higher position, knowing that some things will get turned down. It's probably also an intimidation tactic to show that they mean business.

That said, I remain confused ;-)

13. Mithyx

Mithyx There is no Dremel

All I know is it better not delay the game. Rocktober better happen as planned :)

14. King of Heroes

King of Heroes What's a Dremel?

No surprise there. Activision probably realizes they'd be no match at all for EA's legal department.

15. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Surely EA's legal department would step in? If they're trying to delay the release it does have a direct effect on EA's profit. I imagine they want to make sure they get it out before Modern Warfare 2.

Tags: Add Tags