1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU £85 psu, which one.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 6 Jun 2009.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I am currently in the process of upgrading my pc, I already have a MSI 790FX GD70, 955BE, Titan Fenrir (may have to change this) and my OCZ ram is hopefully coming on tuesday.

All my old gear is going into an identical case for my wife and son to use.

The dilemma I have is that I need a psu for the old rig as I was planning on keeping my thermaltake 750w in my new one. I am now thinking of maybe getting a new psu for the new rig but I don't know which one to get.

I am considering getting another thermaltake 750w as it has done me well so far or I am also considering getting a Hiper M880W as it has had some good reviews (especially from jonnyguru). By the way I'm not interested in comments from anyone saying Hiper psu's are sh!t as they only got their bad rep from a dodgy batch of 580w type R's from what I have read. (I have had a 580w type R for nearly 2 years with no issues and was in my main rig running 7600GT's in SLi with a case full of kit and is now happily running my daughters PC).

Any suggestions will be happily considered.

Thanks

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What's the spec on your rig at the minute?

I'd recommend Corsair, but they're starting to get a bit older now. Have a flick through the PSU reviews on this site - the guys do a great job testing PSU's, iirc the Seasonic M12 is a damn good unit, although it's a touch pricier than your budget. :)

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

It would help in recommending a PSU to know the setup it should power... New PSU for an old setup first brings Corsair CX400/VX550 in my mind. Not nearly £85, but surely going under the budget won't hurt.

EDIT: Damnit Krikkit.

4. Krikkit

Should've read the first post! Duh!

Definitely something Corsair tbh. If the CX400 will do the job I'd have no qualms in buying one, I've used a couple of them in builds now and they're fantastic.

The VX550 is a good substitute if you need more power.

5. Ady6UK

Ady6UK Feck Off

I think I had one of the dodgy ones. When it blew it did a lot of damage to my then system, but the replacement is still happily working (now in a friends machine). I recently had 2 duff Corsair VX 550W PSU's (both replaced under warranty) but the third one works great in my test computer. Even with the problems, I recently bought a Corsair 850W for my main system.
    If you are happy with the Thermaltake then stick with what you know and get another. I've seen them for around the £90+ mark (you could probably find a better price).
    The Hiper 880W can be found here fore a good price (I'm assuming its the one you want):

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/41244?source=googleps

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Thanks for the advice guys, has given me something to chew over. I still can't decide whether to replace my psu and hand my old one down with the rest of my gear after upgrading or just buy a slightly cheaper psu (like the VX500) for the old system and save myself a few quid.

I have been having problems with black screening and bsod's recently and don't know what is too blame. I have removed my overclock to see if that was the cause (it was only a measly 300mhz) and it hasn't done it since but then again I've not used it much since I did it.

I'm slightly reluctant to stick my thermaltake with my new gear just in case, but I'm sure its not going to be faulty as its not that old and is a decent psu.

All my voltages seem fine.

7. Krikkit

What's the spec of the old rig?

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Currently it is a X2 6000+, M2N32-SLi mobo, 4gb Ballistix pc-6400, 2 x 8800GT in SLi, 2 x Samsung F1's 750gb.

This rig will be dropping down to a single 8800GT and a single F1, as it will only be an occasional gaming rig and general purpose pc.

The other 8800GT and Samsung F1 will go into the new rig and shortly after, this 8800GT will go into my daughters rig replacing her 9600GSO XXX as I will be buying either a GTX 275 or possibly something else if anything new comes out soon.

Last edited: 6 Jun 2009
  9. bagman

bagman Minimodder

10. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

If you can find one, Corsair has a New 850w modular power supply. I don't know the pricing though.

11. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

£5 over budget but great value vs performance.
    got top reviews from alot of the major hardware sites.
    also those flex modular cables look like a godsend to work with when it comes to keeping things neat and trim.
    NORTHQ BLACK MAGIC PSU