1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Need some help picking a video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dr_s99, 11 May 2009.

1. numanoid

numanoid Modder

well im not intending to overclock for good, i just tried it, put it back to standard clock speed now (901mhz)
    im so happy with it, plus its not as long as the gtx 275, so if you have a small-ish case you will be ok with the 4890
    take care m8

2. Jambo72

Jambo72 Playstuff.net

Personally, I think you should always go where your loyalties are. I have been an Nvidia fan for years and would always try to pick them if I could. ATI fans would say the same. Personally, I love the competition because it means more models at lower prices for all of us :D

This is what bit-tech had to say about these two cards (Read the full article - What to buy May 2009):

3. numanoid

numanoid Modder

your right m8, it does depend on your loyalties, although ive had a few nvidia cards and just as many ati cards, but ive always favoured the ati cards for some reason ( mabe its cos the cards are red , ( im a huge ferrari fan and l support liverpool fc :D, ) there is no other reason to explain why i picked ati over nvidia :confused:
    take care

4. Dr_s99

Dr_s99 What's a Dremel?

Thank you all for your help :)

I finally got a Graphic card .... and the card I got is *drum roll* XFX Radeon HD 4890

I love the card! I'm not exactly use to a GPu runing at 60C :) ! Overall I'm happy with the card!

It was a bit hard to get it working in linux but it wasn't impossible :)

5. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Idle at 60C? Isn't that a bit high? My 4870 isn't too different, and it idles at like 52-3.. Maybe get a fan on your case door? Antec Spot Cool?

6. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

60­°C on idle is very good. My 4870 idles at 80°C.

7. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

In winter your room does not need a heater then, I surmise?

8. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Reference 4870's are geared towards low noise. The fan doesn't even spin up until 70°C.
    Mine has hit 92°C at load before I set up fan profiles myself.

Graphics cards can take more heat than CPU's anyway, you wouldn't expect them to be idling lower than ~50°C, and some hit >100°C at load (we had a 9800GX2 in at work that hit 120°C).

9. Dr_s99

Dr_s99 What's a Dremel?

well the case I'm using is a workstation case so the air flow is really good!