1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fans boycott Left 4 Dead 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jun 2009.

1. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

With any luck, all those people who refuse to buy L4D2 will be the same ones who ragequit in current Vs. games, keeping themselves out of the loop in the future.

Personally, I'm looking forward to L4D2.

2. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I thought all game companies started on the sequel of any game right after or even before the release of the first one lol, anyhow some of those arguments are valid while the rest sound like child bickering, personally I look forward to L4D2 and hey if I dont like it well I dont have to buy it and can keep playing L4D.

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

To me, this is the problem. I've also been really looking forward to some of the mods that people were making for Left 4 Dead - yet they announced L4D2 just a week or two after the official mod tools come out. We already know they've tweaked the new AI director system too, so now the mod scene for L4D1 is just going to shrivel while people wait for the sequel, then for those tools, etc.

I'll still buy it. I'll still love it (probably). I'll still play it. I have to admit I'm a little annoyed at Valve for doing this though - especially since they could develop Episode 3 and Portal 2 in the mean time and give players a big dose of what they really want.

4. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

mods for l4d1 will be forward-compatible with l4d2, or so it was claimed. i wonder if it will work the other way around, too.

5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I have to say I'm not really fussed about EP3 anymore. I've played through the others, and they were enjoyable, but I feel it's DNF syndrome all over again. Leave a game in development for long enough and people lose interest.

6. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

7. Fod

er, ep2 came out a year ago. it hasn't been 12 years.

8. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Same here. I bought L4D not long after it came out and played it to death. Now I'm waiting for L4D2. I don't care if it's full price. It's a different game.

9. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

:p Yeah, I know, but the HL2 storyline has been strung out since 2004.

10. Fod

still, to compare it to DNF is hardly fair. each release has been, strictly speaking, a standalone game.

11. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

'DNF syndrome', as in a long wait? It's largely a failure of episodic gaming making people wait years to see how a story pans out.

12. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

I believe that l4d 2 should work like a company of heroes expansion. 100% compatable at the very minimum.

13. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Yes id love new content for L4D BUT im still wanting L4D2 to come out!

Ive played the crap out of L4D and I just want something new.

14. Natima

Natima What's a Dremel?

I can't beleive nobody mentioned COD4:MW2.
    Where's the boycott for THAT? Well?
    Same engine... same graphics... looks kinda the same gameplay... cod4 is only 2 years old!
    I'm outraged at Infinity Ward's lack of respect for its customers! :p

Seriously though, I never got L4D.... I never really wanted it. But to me L4D2 looks like a game I might buy.
    I'm not complaining... it just looks like they're releasing a game which is what the original should have been.
    Ain't that what sequels are for?

15. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

There's a huge difference between a year old game (from a developer reknowned for taking ages to make titles) and a two year gap from a publisher that's openly admitted to just exploiting franchises over and over and over.

16. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

I didn't read much the thread because most of it is the same...But here's my view, because you all obviously care. :)

Creating a sequel 1 year after the release of the original is absolutely mad, especially when the original is still unbalanced and glitchy. Reminds me of what EA did with Battlefield 2. Rather than continue to support the game, the release a NEW game which is set a bit in the future but the majority of everything is the same?

Everything in Left 4 Dead 2 is easily possible in a patch or update. They're still using the source engine, just an updated version, so saying that they HAVE to release it as a full game is a load of crap. It cost £40 or so for the XBox version. Telling a gamer that after playing the game for less than a year that the sequel, which is almost exactly the same, is coming out and will have everything that the original should've had (That's what valve have literally said)...Now that's mental. Specially in this economic down turn. wtb bang for buck. That's why I now play Warsow and Quake Live. Free with constant updates. ;)

17. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Except they took the time to create a whole new singleplayer which is the main reason to buy the game.

18. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

A full blown boycot is a little extreme I think but I certanly see where they are coming from. L4D is still quite healthy and the timing feels far too soon (like 2142 to BF2, and Ep3 is where in realation to this?). Its still fresh in our minds and has a very EA like tinge to it.

Also what is added seems a little on sparce side in an already sparce game. It's certanly in the realms of an expantion pack (with backwards intergration), but nowhere near full new game or free DLC.

I cant see this announcment causing anything but a nose-dive for L4D sales while prospective buyers wait it out. Looking at Steam L4D had hardly taken a down turn had it?

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

LOL that makes me laugh... yes please work your ass off spending hundreds of hours and give it all to us for free because we are cheapskapes and dont think you deserve money for what your making....

Come on people really??? I mean I know times are tough with the economy but come on....

20. SBS

SBS What's a Dremel?

How is this news? Valve have an absymal record in supporting their multiplayer games after release - all three CS games and DOD:S have game changing bugs that have remained unfixed years after release with the games all effectively abandoned as soon as the majority of customers get bored of bitching.

It's a shame because the actual games are generally great.

Tags: Add Tags