1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple unveils iPhone 3GS 16GB, 32GB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

With the inclusion of video, MMS and copy and paste, Apple are running out of the "should have been included from the start, but this way we can charge for new models when they're finally introduced" features. They might actually have to start... dun dun duuuuuuuun... INNOVATING!

3. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

So the original iPhone wasn't a massive innovation then?

I take it you have one?

4. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

£540 is ridiculous. You could buy a decent gaming PC for that. I love Apple's pricing scheme...

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Still no word on what the upgrade options are for existing contract holders.

Bah.

6. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

i'll be getting one. tbh it's the same price as an ipod touch so it's a bit of a no brainer. people who criticise it just don't understand how freaking amazing the software and app distribution model is. now that they have fixed the major issues with the OS (copy and paste being the major bugbear) it makes for a very very good phone in addition to hands down the best PMP there is. not having to carry around two devices is a major plus for me.

as for MMS; really, how many MMS messages have you sent in the past year? me: zero. email is free, and much more easy.

as for innovation? hardware is no longer important with devices any more. at the end of the day they're a dumb computer with a touchscreen. what's really exciting, and i do mean 'this gives me tingles' exciting, is the software, and frankly apple has really shown people how to launch a platform. the SDK, distribution model and ease of entry make it so easy to get started, which is proven by the amount of stuff on the app store. sure a lot of it is tat, but a LOT of it is also very, very good stuff.

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

This.

I picked up an iPod Touch for roughly £120 and, considering how much I use it, I consider it a fair price. For £540 though I'd expect a mobile phone to occasionally dispense jellybeans into my pocket.

8. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

We should be able to swing free upgrades because most mobile providers like to entice customers to stay.

9. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

So when you're looking for a new phone you think a gaming PC is a perfectly suitable alternative? I'd like to see how that works...

10. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Yeah it was. Oooh two years ago. I'm not dissing the product, it's an excellently put together bit of kit, but since the launch they're now on the third itteration of the phone and have basically added nothing that wouldn't be standard features in many other phones. I think they've been quite deliberately avoiding making the iPhone as good as it could be because this way it prolongues the lifespan of the phone. Up next: a FOUR megapixel camera! Wow!

11. I-E-D

I-E-D Minimodder

540 quid??? Just get a PC, a Phone and a MP3 player, simple.

12. Fod

and yet it is still one of the most user friendly devices i have ever come across. only now companies are beginning to play catch up. why fix what was broken?

i am confused. where is this figure of £540 coming from? it starts at about £150 on contract. i understand you're rolling in the total cost of ownership over the course of the contract, but nobody uses the same pricing strategy when they talk about any other phone, simply stating that it is 'free on contract'. make up your mind, use one system or the other for pricing.

i'd also like to see you carry a PC, phone and mp3 player all in one pocket, and with a TCO of less than £540.

13. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Yeah I agree with that, a 3megapix camera is wasted on me anyway. I've never taken photos with camera-phones they always look like pixelated crap. Copy and paste I cant see as any benefit to me what so ever. The new gfx chip, battery life and general speed boost all apply to me and I can't wait for those. Any other additions will be added bonuses.

The one thing I really want to see is a D-pad added. Then I could sell the PSP and DS and do some quality gaming.

14. sicone

sicone What's a Dremel?

What was so innovative about the original iPhone? Apart from the multi touch screen, there was nothing on the phone that couldn't already be found on phones a year old (and they only beat HTC to it by about a month).

Having said that, now they have included stuff that it should have had plus a bit more, I can see this phone doing very well.

15. Fod

another thing i should point out: the PAYG models come with free wifi and 3g access for 12 months. that's pretty freaking awesome. and now i'll stop, because i sound like an appleite. i'm not, really, i'll just praise a company when they get something right.

16. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

I take it you have an iPhone or had at least a good amount of time alone with it to try and tell me its not innovative?

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The amount of dick we suck we pay for the contract should give us an upgrade for nowt.

18. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

I have an iphone 3G, while the 3GS has some cool new features i dont think i'll bother. I can live without the notorious apple 'speed increases', i have little use for the compass and hardly ever take photos on my phone. Depends on how much O2 want for the upgrade, bit if they have the cheek to charge £15 / 3gb for the tethering bolt on i cant imagine it'll be cheap!

On the other hand i cannot wait for os 3.0, roll on next wednesday! Tempted to get a mobile me sub too, the find my iphone feature looks pretty cool. I wonder how secure it is? Is it just a setting a cunning thief could turn off? Sending a sound to find your phone down the back of the sofa when its on silent is pretty sweet though!

19. Fod

here's the problem: you look at the function list and think: "my phone does all that." and you would be right. then again, i can do all the things my quad core intel processor does with my pocket calculator, eventually.

what the iphone did was completely rework the interface for phones and in doing so made it ridiculously easy to use. a complete moron could do something like send an email, or load up google maps and find directions. now, we, as geeks, occasionally find this hard to appreciate. we have grown up with technology and almost take for granted that a little cumbersome tech is just par for the course. but it doesn't have to be this way! THAT'S what the iphone is innovative for. sure it left out some HUGE chunks of functionality in the first OS releases, but for apple to come to market, never having developed a mobile OS before, with such a downright accomplished and polished bit of software, that makes MS's winMo offering look laughably arcane in comparison, is an immense accomplishment.

20. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I think Fod has nailed it, almost all of the functions SE or Nokia have had for years but brining it too the masses was the trick. Though having a touch screen, admittedly an appalling LG, i think i prefer the tactile interface provided by a real key pad.

Tags: Add Tags