1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress The Decomatic HTPC - 2007 Intel Design Contest Finalist

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slipperyskip, 1 Jun 2009.

1. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

I'll admit that I tend to be a bit of a visual perfectionist at times. I've been known to straighten random pictures in people's homes. I've also been scolded from the wife for doing it in public places, usually restaurants. I really hate it when they are screwed to the wall and can't be leveled... Lol. That being said, I also wouldn't have noticed it had you not said anything. It may not be centered, but it looks perfect visually, and that's what matters.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2009
  2. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks man. High praise indeed coming from a professional. :thumb:

This was a two-part illusion. The white oak box is set into the mahogany corners with a larger gap at the bottom than the top. First I centered the chrome stripes on the white oak section and then I bumped it up a tad more for the perspective correction. The white oak box is a big conspirator in this visual crime. :D

At least that is the way it played out in my head. Your explanation sounds better. :hehe:

I tend to distrust levels. They lie and deceive. If it looks level then it is level regardless of the laws of physics.

This brings me back to my original point. In SketchUp a person would have the tendency to just divide the distance in half and then wonder why it doesn't seem to look right. Or...more likely, never realize how much better it could have looked.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2009
  3. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

4. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Lol, I love the story.

Hey, while I'm thinking about it, would you mind if I linked your site on mine?

5. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Sure...why not? I'm flattered.

Uh..Oh! It looks like some newly registered Intel employee just cowardly updated my "stars". ROFL

6. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

lol thats funny...

good work :)

7. GuyInTulsa

GuyInTulsa Dremel Molester

Your work is amazing. I always enjoy your blend of fine wood craftsmanship with computer technology.

I have a question, or two, regarding the waterslide decals you use… Do you use the white ones? If so, how do they work? Does it simply substitute white for black (meaning you use black letters in your software, but the decal ‘prints’ in white)?

Thanks in advance.

8. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Good question. It is kinda confusing. Let me try an answer:

Printers (most of them) don't print the color white. Instead, they leave gaps to allow the white of the paper to show through. When you print on a transparency, like clear decal paper, you lose the color white. You can correct for this by using white decal paper.

Sounds simple but there are issues. White waterslide decals look like labels instead of the illusion of hand lettering that clear gives you. The downside of using clear wateslides is that white is generally required for any color other than simple "solid" colors or black. Colors printed on clear waterslides can come out looking very different due to the lack of white.

How was that?

9. GuyInTulsa

Thank you for the explanation.

Clear as mud (or brown printed on a clear decal)!

That means a 2”x3” while decal would be a solid 2”x3” white decal with colors printed on it? So, if I wanted white letters I would have to cut them out of the decal?

Sounds like clear is the way to go for lettering.

10. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

That's my conclusion as well. I have some white but have never used it. It would be best for something like a photograph where you could easily trim off the white right down to the photo's edge. That doesn't work well for lettering.

An interesting combo is to use the clear on a white case. All problems solved. Use a high quality color laser printer and a person could do some stunning photo-realistic stuff for very cheap.

Gratuitous self-promoting photo....:D Sorry. I wanted the "Ingraham" to be aluminum-colored but gave up in the end simply because of the lack of white. I thought it was going to be so simple. :wallbash:

[​IMG]

11. GuyInTulsa

Thanks again!

Ordered a pack of the black ones.

12. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

I used both the white and clear decal paper on my 737 case. For the white I had to cut each letter out individually to make it work. Tedious, but came out well. :)
    [​IMG]

I printed the smaller black logos on the clear.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2009
  13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Did you ever consider photo-etching your logo?

14. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

LOL Pick up a spare clear toner cartridge while you are at it.

Daaamn! That's hard core buddy. I think I would have gone with pre-cut vinyl lettering but I can appreciate time consuming labor-of-love effort also. Nice result.

No I didn't. It sounds expensive and I'm all about being cheap. My project budgets are typically around $150. The Decomatic was more because I couldn't get all of the equipment donated.

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Not as expensive as you'd think. Try this linky for info.:thumb:

16. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Another beautiful HTPC mod mate, very well executed. Congratz on the win :thumb:.

17. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

That is.. Extremely well done. Showed it to one of my friends who do a lot of woodworking, and he appraised it very much :D, 6/5 stars from Denmark.. The extra one is for cheating Intel :D:D

18. Ampersand.

Ampersand. What's a Dremel?

Almost a year late ...

But I had to reply.
    I love the intrigue and deception that went into your entry. So very funny to pull one over Intel.
    I have to say that the winning entry looks very cheap and tacky. I wouldn't be paying much more than $100 for it really.
    I would really have liked to see some better views of what the rest of the competitors entries looked like. From what I could see they looked fairly average, yours seemed to have the highest level of finish.

I also noticed your comment on greg hinzmann's website and laughed at his petulant reply.

Last edited: 15 May 2010
  19. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

"So which Apple computer do you use? The white plastic one or the white plastic one?"

It was funnier three years ago. :D