1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 7 unlikely to boost ailing PC market

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

There might not be a big bump in sales, but I imagine that there'll be a considerable decline in the rate of returns. That's got to be good for business.

3. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

Well,..... I'm sure they were a little embarrassed with Vista, and are just trying to gain confidence in the consumer market than make extra dough. I understand Vista is modestly stable now,...... but first impressions mean everything to the PC illiterate users. Nice to have Windows 7 work well straight off the CD unlike the beginnings of XP and Vista.

4. scrimple3D

scrimple3D What's a Dremel?

5. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

The keyword to look at in that thread is...

I'm on7201 and it works fine, did the steps exactly as described, but let's all jump to conclusions due to a bug in a non-final version of software :rolleyes:

That's because Apple's revenue comes from the hardware, not the software.

6. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

I have Build 7127 and have worked it extensively. I have found no problems and I have used it for things most users would never do. It's an excellent OS and this is coming from a guy that does not like Microsoft and prefers Linux/ freeware. I was hoping to find faults so I could rant about it. :)

7. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

Well given that I have Vista Ultimate 64bit and there are still issues with it (like certain soundcard issues or random crashes) I would hope that they offer an upgrade plan. But knowing MS , they won't.

8. DarkLord7854

Um.. they do.. it's called the Windows <version> Upgrade package, and costs less :hehe:

9. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

I think Microsoft's Bill Veghte is correct. Anyone would be quite naive to think there would be a anything like a huge jump in sales.

Look at Vista: if you stop the average person on the high street, they will not be able to explain the difference between xp and vista.

This is because most high street consumers do not really care.

If they need a computer at any point in time, then they will get one. They only hear about vista or the latest Windows 7 if a sales person sells the pros to them. But all the average consumer wants is something to surf the net and produce docs etc. If they are female, then they want to play sims.

At a previous work office where we had Vista and XP machines, most workers couldn't tell what operating system they were using unless you asked them and then they checked afterwards with a reply such as 'I think it's XP / Vista'. I found it incredible. All they knew is that it was a PC and they could check their emails and work on their documents etc.

Mac buyers are usually people who are attracted to the HARDWARE first. They couldn't really explain any software benefits of Mac software over Windows. The only people who understand software benefits are the relatively small community of enthusiasts, such as members of this forum.

Windows 7 will be the same as Vista, in terms of 'MOST' high street consumers not being aware of any selling points. If they decide to buy a new computer, they would have bought a new one regardless.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2009
  10. scrimple3D

scrimple3D What's a Dremel?

By preferring Linux/freeware I take it you mean 'spends less time using'. Give it a rest.

And how foolish of me to have used Microsofts official Windows 7 RC download. If they've sorted the problem in a more recent build then I'm happy to hear it.

11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I can believe that, some people here think they're running Vista because they have the new ribbon bar in office.

12. DarkLord7854

Really? LOL! That's awesome! :hehe:

13. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Why would they even think it would effect it? That's foolish, who goes out and buys a new computer just for the operating system? Especially considering the amount of people who went and jumped on the Vista bandwagon on release, they'll already have decent hardware unless they absolutely cheaped out and got a 512mb vista machine (I feel for you guys). Most people I know that are interested in Windows 7 have good hardware and build their own computers and will just get a pirate copy of release day ^_^

14. DarkLord7854

I hope karma burns em :)

15. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Well, I know people (lots of them) that don't know what Windows is, it's all just a "computer" for them. Most people just prefer to be ignorants and are too lazy to get interested in things they use every day. "-What car do you have? -Blue" is not just a joke :)

Tags: Add Tags