1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MS to ship Windows 7 in EU without IE

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Jun 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

But, looking at things the other way, you could equally argue that Apple holds a browser monopoly on OS X...

2. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Forgive me if im being thick, but how would you install any other browser if you dont already have Internet Exploer installed?

Usually when I do a fresh install when it is done, I use Internet Explorer to go and to the Mozilla website to download and install Firefox, but if there isnt a browser installed how do I get the latest release of firefox from the web?? Some kind of Application Store or something?

Silly EU....

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Its hardly insurmountable linux (in some cases) ships with out a browser and you use a gui tool to install what you want.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

How to install IE8 in Windows 7 - you will see IE8 probably as optional package in Windows update. Or you will just use your USB stick/computer magazine with DVD and install it.

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

Linux has the option to use wget to grab files via HTTP/HTTPS/FTP/etc

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

It will come on a separate CD in the Windows 7 box. Stupid, ridiculous, pointless, etc.

7. steveo_mcg

Yeah and it also uses Synaptic to provide a front end for apt which would be a very easy way to allow the user choose there browser.

8. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

I don't see what's the problem. Moms and girl-friends don't install Windows, they just buy new computers and PC manufacturers will install whatever browser they want, most likely IE. The only people who buy Windows at retail are geeks that won't have a problem installing IE or Firefox from the extra CD or from a USB drive or what have you.

9. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

c:\users\SoWhat\Desktop\ ftp releases.mozilla.org
    user:anonymous
    pass:anythinguwant
    cd "/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.0.11/win32/en-US"
    binary
    get "Firefox Setup 3.0.11.exe"

There you have it, how to get another browser without a browser.

10. matee

matee What's a Dremel?

11. proxymoron

proxymoron What's a Dremel?

Well, at least we could never accuse Mr Smalley of sitting on the fence.

Can somebody who knows more about these things than I do explain why having a particular web browser on your OS allows you to migrate documents and settings, but not having it does not - because frankly I cannot see the connection between the two.

12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Ahah way to go. The EU's original idea is just retarded, so it's only fair for MS to give them something to think about. Just so ridiculous... Just WHY ON EARTH should they provide you with all browsers? Why don't they also have to provide you with all office programs (there's note included, right), a couple of calculators...

13. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

why should microsoft supply 3rd party software with their os?

at the end of the day, they are going to let oems decide wether or not to install a browser, including ie.

i for one think the anti trust rulings ae nothing but a pain in the arse for consumers, if the 3rd party browser makers, or any other sofware for that matter, want beter market share, they should provide a USP (something all businesses need in order to survive)(unique selling point for tose that don't know)

users will find software they like/want to use, or has the features the user requires.

14. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

The real victory would be if you could also choose other programs than Explorer and WinMedia. But I don't want more people on my side of the fence because it would encourage new virus creations,..... and then whats the point.

Also I don't know about you all but old Government websites and the likes only code to IE and everyone has to visit one sometime. If you have Firefox you have to addon a IE tab plugin to view such sites. For people that want IE taken out probably have difficult times just knowing how to install the browser much less customize it for such compatibility problems.

I guess this will increase income for self employed PC repair guys, and the the Best Buy Geek Squad. 10% increase in revenue with problems like "I can't view some sites.... Can you fix my PC?,...... I think it has a virus."

15. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Providing the rest of the installation is the same, I'd prefer this E version as I don't use IE anyway.

16. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

But will windows update work with firefox, chrome or safari because it does not at the moment. You have to have ie.

17. amacieli

amacieli What's a Dremel?

They should stick to bananas.

18. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Although petty and childish, it is fun to see MS make the commission eat their words :D
    Why on earth though would they be expected to bundle a competitors software with their product? Wouldn't bundling all the other browser options cost a massive amount of money in licensing fees?

19. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I was just thinking this actually, kind of ironic that the EU does not want IE to be included with windows when a fair few goverment websites can only be viewed through IE (ignoring IETAB and similar for the moment, as they shouldn't be needed if the websites were coded to standards and I doubt most [non-techie] people would know what IETAB is)...

20. steveo_mcg

IEtab wouldn't even work in W7EU unless you downloaded IE.

Tags: Add Tags