1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage is it time to move to SSD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wyx087, 14 Jun 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What one do you have?

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Corsair M64. The 128GB is too dear atm. It's a bit up in the air as to which controller chip is actually in it. It should have a J-Micron 'revision B' chip. It sounds like if it does, there's not a whole lot of cache. Tbh though, I didn't notice any stuttering. I'll run some tests on it (it got 5.9 in WEI if it matters).

Last edited: 16 Jun 2009
  3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

OPEN IIIIT.

Corsair doesnt use JM afaik.

/looks into it

EDIT: no it's Samsung something - the hard brushed Alu case is typical but it has no cache either according to their support forums.

4. kenco_uk

That's what I found on the Corsair forums, too. Ram Guy mentioned it 'could' use J-Micron revision B chips, but the spec was up in the air and it depends what colour socks someone's wearing or something.

If it's easy to get into, aye, I'll have a look.

I'm trying to find some info, but it's very few and far between and what there is, isn't much.

One thing I did try and I'm not sure about - in Windows 7, in Device Manager, looking at the Policies tab for the drive, there are two settings for cache. The bottom one is unticked (only for drives that don't lose power, iirc it's the one that can leave data in the cache, i.e. it doesn't clear the cache as often, I've left it unticked, is that correct for an ssd drive?). The top setting - should it be on? I tried to untick it but I think it gave an error when I tried so I left it ticked.

I've also disabled defragging and set the prefetch to only prefetch system/boot files rather than the default, 'everything'.

edit - I think I remember seeing somewhere either the Corsair being a clone or another 'make' being a clone of the Corsair...

Last edited: 16 Jun 2009
  5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ohhh that's naughty ****. You should buy a product and get one thing. Jmicron is significantly cheaper than Samsung.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

if it's samsung controllers, sure looks very similar to the Samsung MLC 64GB i linked in OP.

let's see whether the other guy on the forum want my Raptor, the £91 for 64GB is very tempting

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Still considering it myself, but is it more of temptation rather than need i ask myself...

8. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

I' going to do this too, I just hope that prices of the SSDs have reduced significantly by autumn/christmas this year...

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Though according to the specs i found, the M64 is actually significantly faster than the 128 gb one, with the 256gb one being the fastest. Did i get wrong specs?

The official site doesn't specify read and write speeds for the 128.

10. kenco_uk

Here's an Atto Benchmark run:

[​IMG]

Peaks at 91MB/s @ 64KB Write and 165MB/s @ 2MB Read.

Comparing to others, it's similar. Not sure why the read speed builds up, then drops a little to build up again. Also, one of my Samsung F1's was about the same speed writing, but nearly half the read speed!

11. Panther57

Panther57 AMD Dragon Fan.

It seems that the SSD's are going to be the next common storage for general use. The SSD's have been proven for along time. The military and other users for thier benefits have been paying big dollars for them because it has been worth it according to a lot of articles. I guess we should be glad that ssd's are in airplanes, fighter jets and the like, hard drives crash too often in comparison.

But 2 1/2" only, we need regular size for a claen fit in our PC's. Mabie that's next. Hmmmm.... 256mb is big enough for me, do it or wait for them to be cheaper?

12. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i picked up a 32GB vertex for $115. plenty big enough to work as a system disk, and cheap enough to be worthwhile. i just got it running, and it flies. from black screen to working desktop seems to be pretty much instantaneous, and firefox loads as soon as you click on it. and any other ubuntu users will know that firefox loading instantly is quite a feat.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2009
  13. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

oooo nice, time to google!

I'm eyeballing the 128GB Falcon myself. 128 GB is the sweetspot for me to be able to install games and apps without worry, and the Falcons seem to be a reviewers favorite.

I'm also trying to get my hands on a 2nd hand samsung SLC 64GB drive. If i get both, the sammy will move to my laptop.

14. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

yeah i considered doing this but, i dunno. i want to at least be able to have my steamapps folder on board which seems unlikely at 30GB, 64GB is the lowest i would go

15. kenco_uk

Well, Windows7 x64 RC (7100) took up around 15GB of space after installation.

The Vertex drives are very quick but is fairly dear (£/GB). The Indilinx chip performs a minor miracle.

Fill your boots - Samsung 64GB MLC for £91.99!

Just noticed this was in the first post! :) Bit of a bargain, tbh!

Last edited: 17 Jun 2009
  16. Koolpc

Koolpc Minimodder

So, you trying to sell me a duff raptor then? Thanks!!

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I agree - that's ABSOLUTELY NOT COOL.

The fact you said in his trading forum thread "it gives Zero errors" but here you clearly state its ****ed, that gets you a one strike trading forum ban, wuyanxu.

Community protection and trust come first here.

18. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

yeah i thought that was a little odd! at least sell it on ebay and then comment on it being duff here!

19. Ransoman

Ransoman What's a Dremel?

SSD's are still far too expensive. Untill i can get 128gb for under £100 then i won't be making the move.

It is a shame as i have a project in mind that will use a SSD, but i have not plan to start it untill the price comes down significantly.

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

it turned out to be not the hard drive, now running perfectly stable, CPU down to 3Ghz instead of old 3.4Ghz.

WD diagnostic tool gave it 0 errors, if you don't believe me, i can post a photo.
    i offered to sell only after WD diagnostic tool gave me the green light.