1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Variaty of questions :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hoffs, 18 Jun 2009.

1. Hoffs

Hoffs Seek

Ok, so i'm building a system late August and have some questions

-If Core i7's are getting phased out, yet I believe that they're better than i5, would it be best to do an i7 build whilst they're still around as opposed to waiting for i5 whilst being at risk of "missing the i7 boat"?

-As it's just before the release date of windows 7, will I be able to: Use the RC for a month or two, then will their be an upgrade path that I can take, without losing any of my data?

-How much will Windows 7 Home Premium cost (rough approximation.. I understand no official information has been released, i'm looking for rumours)

-I might be getting a new TV (http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/551260/SAMSUNG-LE32B530P7WXXU) looks awesome.. It has HDMI on it and I hope to hook it up to the graphics card that I'll be using (Atm probably a 4890 but it may change maybe due to future releases). Will the HDMI from the graphics card carry the sound to the TV so that the sound my computer outputs will use the TV's speakers?

-Can anybody recommend a good wireless router that's got good stability and security. Our current one is a load of tosh and needs reseting every 1-2 hours and has no security on it!

- What is the minimum amount of money that can be spent on an SSD before you get the real power of an SSD. E.g, there are some cheaper ones and some more expensive.. What would you advise as the cheapest you would go where the performance is worth the price

Hope you can help me.. By the way, my budget for the build is just over £1100 but August is a mile off so the actual components of the build are pretty irrelevant due to changes in tech and prices.

Hope you can answer some of my questions :)

Last edited: 19 Jun 2009
  2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Intel will cancel the Core i7 920 and 940 from my understanding, however the Core i7 will still be there. You will have 3 classes. Core i3, i5 and i7. Core i5 will be low end, i5 mid range and i7 high end. I believe each stages of the CPU will uses a different socket just to piss off chip set manufactures (probably so Intel stay the biggest chipset maker for the CPU), and most importantly, you.

This is the last month for Win7 RC, so you better download it as soon as possible and write down the product key for your August system. Just make sure you have the 64-bit version, else you'll seriously regret it.

Rumor says (probably retail cost):
    Windows 7 Home Premium Edition: USD $259.95
    Windows 7 Professional Edition: USD $299.95
    However, note that UNLIKE Vista, Win7 Pro is added features over the Home premium. It DOES NOT replace anything. Of course that could change, but I don't think so it will.

I can't find reviews of your TV, that is something I don't like. Not all TV supports PC connection. Meaning that it will work, but your image will be blurry or have a strange affect on the screen image. If it does, then yes, a great majority of videos card today has HDMI by either have a converter (yes audio is passed on these setup), or a main HDMI plug (with audio as well). All you have to do is to attach the special SPDIF audio cable provided by the video card to connect the audio form the sound card internal SPDIF connector to the video card so that your HDMI output has sound. However, remember that not all brands offers that audio cable despite having the plug on the video card. Presumably it's to make more money by having you paying 4-15$ for it more (even thus it's stupid cable that cost a penny the box of 300, probably). I know that BFG (Nvidia) video card has that cable, but check reviews to make sure the cable is provided.

Yes, the sound should be on the TV, if your TV has speakers, and that your sound card is properly configured to output sound via SPDIF, and that you connect the special cable from the internal SPDIF to your video card AND that your sound card has this internal SPDIF plug.

Also, Intel is expected to release a new Atom CPU at the end of the year. I would personally would go with an Nvidia Ion (which is also using an Atom), but that is just me. WAIT WHAAA!?!?!
    You cannot attach a Core i7 to a Atom motherboard. Even then I think the Atom is soldered in.

Every wireless router has some level of security. Anyway, look at D-links and Linksys model they are pretty good. Just make sure once you get it that you update the firmware, and DO NOT use the software provided with the router. Most of the time this supposedly easy to setup wizard end up screwing the hole router. And of course if you don't like you can return it for a different one. Wireless-N router is for sure to have the latest security system such as WPA-2. But it all ends up being how good your password is.

I have no idea, but usually in computers you always get what you paid for. If it's not the product than it's the service. However, they are few exceptions.

3. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

The Intel X25 series/OCZ Vertex series and any other SSD based on controller chips using non JMicron chips should be fine.

4. Hoffs

Hoffs Seek

After seeing that you said that the TV may give distorted picture, can you suggest any other TV's that are between 26-32inch, Full HD (1920x1080) and that have decent reviews at around £400

I saw the Samsung T260HD has a TV tuner, so does that mean you can just plug it into the aerial and it will display the terrestrial channels?

5. GoodBytes

I don;'t know. i myself still uses a Sony 27inch CRT TV (the ones with the tubes). I don't have digital cable, and the TV works perfectly and has component so I can plug anything I need. In result I never did research.
    I said was based on issues that other faced as their TV, has HDMI but not PC supported for maximum image quality. Some TV do have, but via VGA or something else other than HDMI. So it's things to look for.

That mean's you can plug an analogue antenna or standard TV cable (not digital), old nintendo (NES) via cable, Famicom (original nintendo console in Japan), and anything that uses analogue connectivity. Just like the good old CRT TV's.

6. Fredrics

Fredrics Hmm...

The T260HD also has a couple of HDMI connectors so you can plug your Sky+ or V+ box into it as well.

Also it has a DTV tuner so it gets the digital channels.

I have the t240 and i think it is great!

7. Hoffs

Hoffs Seek

ahh! 2 people saying different things.. One says analogue, the other says digital?

Also, saw this on a neighbouring forum:

http://channel.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=18965

I think this is a great idea. So by buying that copy of vista, I won't be caught in between operating systems with a near enough guarantee of not losing data when upgrading.

8. GoodBytes