1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony responds to Activision's threats

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

until we see the PS3 slim they wont be a price cut as that box is too costly to manufacture.

i do hope sony does get a good kicking this gen, because its the kick in the arse they need.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

not really sure anyone cares enough

Activision blizzards biggest game is wow, Which will never get a console port. Call of duty and gh are meh titles. Rockband kicks ghs arse about 100 times over. COD is one overhyped game at best

would activision really stop producing for a console that has 3million sales of cod 4, 3million lost sales = lose lose. Sony as a company are just like microsoft both need there arses kicking around the block a few times.

my guess activision wants more developer help

4. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

5. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

bit more PS3 bashing lol, I have to admit i've only seen the bad side of that thing ever since launch.

So PS4??

6. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

it's too expensive because they built it wrong, they need to drop the price to gain Market share, but to do that they'd have to remove/cut down on parts, it's a catch 22 and I think they are kind of stuck down this path. I just hope they learn their lesson that people don't love Sony, they love whichever console has the best games and the most reasonable price. I think they decided in their arrogant minds that the success of ps1/ps2 was brand related, but as xbox and 360 proved, ppl will move to a new brand if the price is right and the games are good.

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Who cares what you think about CoD and GH? Last time I checked, it is all about sales, and those two franchises are incredibly good sellers. If the PS3 were to lose them, a LOT of people would have no reason to buy a PS3.

8. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

GH is losing ground to Rock Band.

COD is the only thing Activision has that would affect anything. Sadly for them COD4 and COD5 didn't spike PS3 sales so it wouldnt affect PS3 sales at all.

9. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

is it the download charge per MB for downloading patches that Activision is talking about ?

10. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

So what are you guys saying? That Activision is just a sad distributor who doesn't have any impact on anything?
    What's all the fuss then? Sony can just ignore this like they do with everything and the world moves on.

Sorry If I don't understand something. I can't stand all this geek drama.

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Because this is a public forum?

The best CoD was 2 :)

Activision = someone call the waahmbulance.

12. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Also plays games.

13. TurtlePerson2

TurtlePerson2 What's a Dremel?

They made all the wrong decisions when designing the system. They spent most of their time trying to have the best processor ever, but everyone here knows that games are usually GPU bound not CPU bound. They used Blu-Ray and it has still yet to catch on. And now they won't cut price because they're not willing to lose money on the front end.

They need to look at Microsoft and see that you sell the console for cheap then sell four or five games each year to make your money.

And as a response to an earlier comment, Activision is probably the most important developer out there. The CoD games print money because they're a lot of fun. GH games may not be as great as RB (I have RB not GH), but they're still more popular, so they're incredibly relevant. The real threat is that the other studios follow, like EA. Without the EA Sports games PS3 will really be sunk.

Finally, I have a PS3.

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Well in response to Turtle, I think the Bluray drive was a good move for a few reasons, one they dont have to worry about game capacity, and ya having a bluray drive to watch movies is a nice plus, I also like the fact you can use any 2.5 sata hdd and just format it unlike on the 360. Personally I find the PS3 more "upgrade" friendly and have more of chance of expansion over that of the 360, hell there is even a kit legally sold for the PS3 to install and use Linux on it. I consider the PS3 to be a cheap Home Theater PC for most respects.

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

This is like a constant chess game where the goal is to see which player will bang their head onto the board first.

16. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I am pretty sure you can make a cheap HTPC for cheaper than the PS3, and likely superior as well.

17. trig

trig god's little mistake

lol...disciple of the following i suppose...

losing ground? lol...i wonder what its like to say things without knowing what you're talking about and just believe it's true...let me try...the wii is made of sugar and will fart pixie dust when it overheats. pc's will be obsolete in 8 months and will be replaced by flying monkeys with keyboards on their butts. my wife looks like olivia newton-john in her 20's and size doesnt matter to her...

man, this is fun...

18. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

There's only 1 word to describe the awesomeness of trig's post:

OWNED.

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ehh not really, $399 for PS3 with blu-ray playback.

You couldnt build an HTPC with blu-ray play black for that much well if you did it all legally and by that I mean not pirating the OS or the Software to play bluray. The Bluray drive is going to be around 100.00, the OS and software is going to be around 150-200, so your at 300 already and you havent even gotten into the HDD, Mobo, CPU, Ram, PSU, Case. So ya I will stick with my statement when I say the PS3 is a decent low end HTPC.

Last edited: 22 Jun 2009
  20. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

In the UK it's £290/$473

Tags: Add Tags