1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Unidyne

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slipperyskip, 21 Jun 2009.

1. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

for the record: i realized that, i was jokin'

off the record: i did already flush it, no photographs were taken, no witnesses where present. i should have thought about the immense scientific importance, but i didn't. sorry.

2. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks. It didn't turn out as "rounded" as I wanted. You'll never see me post an original next to my creation..LOL. The thickness ot the outer fin walls kept me from taking more out of the corners. I'm happy with it mostly because it was so much fun to build.

Thank you. Writing worklogs to a single site probably wasn't a very bright idea. Thanks for allowing me to fix an old problem.

Thanks. I was hoping that I would catch a few new viewers.

Cool! I'll take that. :thumb:

I apologize for my rant. This process brought back some old memories both good and bad. My definition of a computer is anything that can get onto the Internet, send/receive e-mail and perform light word processing tasks. That is what 95% of the world's computers do and nothing much more.

Some people can't grasp the idea that you can own more than one computer and they don't all have to be water cooled gaming towers.

:thumb:

I hear ya buddy but I really do hate categories. Maybe for contests. Does anyone here actually use the "Case Mod"/"Scratch Build" forum category to filter out one or the other? Seriously? Are there case mod purists out there who can't stand scratch builts so they get a tool to filter them out?

If it's a computer and you can't go down to the store and buy it then it's called a custom computer. It is what we have in common.

I think I've exceeded my TMI quota for the week. :hehe:

Here is funny little tidbit. My Ingraham was just recently a finalist in a CASE MOD contest. All the other finalists were scratch builds. Ingraham is a case mod (Silverstone LC06). I really wanted to scream bloody murder just to be an asswipe but I decided to sit back and enjoy the irony instead. I didn't win, Cheaters. :D

3. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

@ slipperyskip : i wasn't having a go at you for your rant, i was just supporting what you said and your opinions. :thumb:

4. tuberc

tuberc What's a Dremel?

A mod is a mod no matter what the form factor or final use for the PC will be, so dont listen to what 'critics' on the internet say about your work

I like this case, its original and came together very well, its just a matter of personal taste when it comes to displaying it in your own home.

5. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I know and I appreciate that. Thank you.

Thanks!

The case modding old school got their panties in a bunch and that was fun to watch but there were some personal public attacks that were un-called for. I don't think they expected the reaction. They yelled "pile on" and few people showed up. lol There's been a lot of stupid mutual animosity ever since.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

24 hours as the front page "Top Project". Awesome. I wonder how that's measured?

I'm in the planning stages of building a full ATX tower gaming machine as my next project. Stay tuned because I think it's going to be quite a show. :thumb:

Last edited: 25 Jun 2009
  6. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

7. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

[​IMG]

This evening I found this old, crinkled-up piece of paper. It is the master comprehensive plan for the Unidyne. :hehe: I thought I would toss it in here at the end even though it is suppose to be at the beginning. Oh well.

Javerh likes this.
  8. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

Very nice work.

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

It's good to finally see how you made all these great builds! Thanks for the logs.

10. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks! :thumb:

You are welcome. Thanks for suffering through some old stuff.

I've got a new project coming in a week or so.

"Has anyone seen that confounded....Dremel?"

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'm loving that you are dropping all your logs in here. (I should re-phrase that. :worried:)
    I get a double dose of nostalgia reading them. One for the artistic era, and one for seeing your work again.
    -New project!!!! Are you already done with it, or do we get to see it progress in real time?

12. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

It'll be coming at you real time. I just tested the Full ATX motherboard :eeek: and CPU last night. I don't think I've done enough irreversible damage yet for it to be qualified as a project log. :hehe: All I have so far is some unboxing ceremonies and a teardown of the ATX mid-tower case :eeek:. I am anxious to get some feedback.

I see that you are back to your evil acrylic voodoo ways. All is right in the world. :thumb:

EDIT: Here we go!

Last edited: 30 Jun 2009
  13. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

That is a truly great build. I'm seriously impressed.

14. Ampersand.

Ampersand. What's a Dremel?

The thing I am most impressed by (besides the painstaking shaping and layer buildup) is the finish of the paint.
    At a casual glance it really looks like it is made of aluminium, the only reason I know otherwise is because you have told us and I have read through the work log.
    Is the effect as pronounced in person? Would you still think it is aluminium when you are in the same room?
    Thanks for sharing.

15. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks. I displayed the Unidyne for the first time this past Feb. in San Francisco. It was fun watching people's reactions to it. I completely repainted all the black recesses but the shell still looked pretty good. I use an industrial paint that contains actual aluminum paste in it. There is so much real aluminum in the paint that it will actually start to oxidize over time. It's not a bad look. It's what aluminum does.

Here's a photo from the event:

[​IMG]

You can see more photos from the event in this thread...

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=180333

Kylevdm likes this.
  16. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

Awesome project dude! Love the work and dedication that you put into it! Mod On!

17. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Sorry for the necro bump but I thought this might be interesting to those who followed along with this project log. (I posted this earlier in the Modding Section...I forgot I had back-fit my project log here...sorry for the repeat).

Fans of the video game Civilization V might recognize the icon that was used for the technology "Radio".

[​IMG]

It was based on my original photo.

[​IMG]

Pay special attention to the mic cable wrapped around the chrome stand support.

The Civ series is my favorite game and I think it is kinda cool to have my work "borrowed" for it. It would have been cooler yet to have been given some credit for it. It makes me want to pirate the game even though I already own it. LOL

Link to game reference

So do you think they should have asked permission to use my image?

18. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

In a way that is kind of cool I guess, but maybe not in the "right" way... I mean, it would be one thing if it were the same design/style, but I mean... that's the same angle, the same tilt of the mic/pole, same cord, same cord location... I think they'd be hard pressed to say it WASN'T a copy of your picture... Not sure how I feel about this though... Game studios and such go after people for making/distributing/using illegal copies of their games... but they go and copy an image and use it with out asking? I mean, maybe it wasn't a "copyrighted" photo, but still...

I feel like to be that close they should have contacted you... maybe you should contact them about it and see what happens?

19. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

I'm with mosquito on this one. I'd like to see what they would say if you contacted them regarding this.

20. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I do have copyright to my photos just as you have copyright to yours. Copyright is not something you apply for. Publishing photos on the Internet doesn't automatically make them public domain nor cause you to lose copyright.

I sent a friendly e-mail to the company. It has been awhile and I haven't gotten a reply. I don't really expect to get a reply.

Fanbois of the game and the company argue that the original art has been changed just enough to no longer make it mine. They go so far as to applaud the company for engaging in such frugal actions to help them save money.

Regardless...it is still kinda cool. :D