1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Overlord II Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2009/06/25/overlord-ii-review/1

The original Overlord gained a reputation for spiking its gameplay with satirical humour. The sequel promises more of the same blend of strategic combat and mouthy goblin gits to satiate your destructive urges. We fire it up to see whether turning to the dark side is still fun.

:rock:

2. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

Looks worth a go to me, really enjoyed the first overlord as a fairly lightweight "pick up and play for 30mins" type game, and it did make me chuckle.
    I can't remember the exact nature of the controls (though I seem to remember alot of clicking was involved), how well do you see them working on a console? Got to decide wether to get this for PC or xbox.

3. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I remember it working OK on the Xbox but I still prefer the mouse controls. Sweeping the minions with a mouse was a little harder until you got the hang of it, after that it was much more precise.

The initial part of the game sounds very similar to the first one - build up your forces in a relatively boring trudge then go create havoc.

4. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

I'm not a fan of either consoles or controllers (with a possible exception made for racing games) so I cant help there. What I can say though is that it works well on a keyboard and mouse. Given that the PC version will be available cheaper and look better if you've got a half decent system, I'd say go for the PC version.

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

HAHA, awesome, I have the first one and absolutely loved it, sat down and wouldn't get up haha, great game. I will be definitely giving this one a go.

On PC it is very easy to find your way around. You have your typical WASD movement with the mouse. 1-4 selects the different types of minions and you can send off your minions with right and left mouse clicks, really easy, almost as easy as playing WoW, you click, they die.

6. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

I spent a couple of hours clubbing last weekend. In the demo that is, clubbing seals :eeek:. Great fun sweeping destruction across the land too. Definitely worth a download :D

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Seal clubbing? Makes me want to play Kingdom of Loathing again.

8. Vode

Vode What's a Dremel?

The demo is available on Steam if you just want to give it a try.

I bought the first one and loved it, currently deciding whether to just plunge in or wait until this is on special, I'm sure it's worth the money either way though.

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

/want.

That is almost all. Well except for this.

I never played MP in the original Overlord, I just completed the game then got rid of it :)

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

MP was pap in the old one

11. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

I'm going to go grab this at some point. I loved Overlord, was great fun.

12. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Oooo I just come home for lunch and Overlord II is waiting on the table to be played, however I got football after work so I wont see it till later tonight. I say see, because my wife is addicted to Overlord and will have taken over the TV and Xbox 360. She will be playing this game until she completes it.

I only hope the game is short so I can get my xbox back and have the chance to play it. Me and the wife loved the first game, and remember it being funny. I hope this does not disapoint :)

13. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I enjoyed the first game (well, what I played of it before my brother nicked it, I've only just got it back from him). There's a demo on the 360 (not sure if it's gold members only though) if you want to see which version (PC/360) you prefer

14. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

The Steam version has a "configuration utility" when you launch the game that allows for tweaking the graphics a bit more btw.

Great game, am 10 hours into it, just got the greens.

I can't say I've run into the invisible wall problem though, weird.

There is one thing you guys didn't mention in the review though, about how there's the Power columns or w/e they called it that allow you to take control of a minion to slip through areas that your large bulk as Overlord can't fit through.

There's also the costumes you get to use to fool the enemy :hehe:

I absolutely love what they did to the tower as well, they took the original Dark Tower concept and expanded it significantly, specially when it comes to the minion caverns and upgrading the tower.

You can also have more than 1 mistress :D

15. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

More than 1 mistress ey ;) sounds like fun. I was always evil in the first one and ditched my original for her sister hahaha.

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

the original was a trip.. played it on release and even though everyone made fun of it- I liked it =] that fat rolly polli guy and managing your minions was alot of fun.. played it with a 360 controller on the pc

the ending was a little too easy though- that wizard was the suck all I saw was 2 boots sticking out under his robe and my bare feet

strait console port though.. even had issues early on with a 30fps cap on the pc xD I'll play this one I guess :D

17. Darkefire

Darkefire What's a Dremel?

I absolutely loved the original and so far I'm loving this one. My only complaint is that the control-sticking bug from the first game seems to have carried over; occasionally clicking the mouse too fast and too often makes your minions stuck in attack mode until you fiddle around with other buttons for a few seconds. Nothing too horrible, but it happens just often enough to be annoying and sometimes fatal. The humor in this game never fails to please, either; clubbing baby seals and the new hippie elves in the demo made me laugh harder than I have in a long time.

Of special note is the fact that I was a penniless college student when the first game out so I had to do the evil pirate thing to play through it. Now that I have a job and money I pretty much bought the game as soon as it was available on Steam. Support the good game devs, kids!

18. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Didn't play the first one...does it happen to have the same "feel" as the old Bullfrog games? I am longing for a game like that....

19. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Yea I get that fairly often, kinda nice sometimes though, saves me from having to hold the mouse button(s) :p

Tags: Add Tags