1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Get it serviced? That could help either telling you it's buggered or that it just needs a good looking after. :)

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

99% outta money, there's a long list of things to do, really. The point is, it's been making weird noises all the time, and to some level it's normal for that model. Anyway recently when riding a bit bigger, I've been getting a bit worried...

3. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Just fitted a pair of spanky new 2.1 Kenda Small Block Eight's to my GT and a Knog N.E.R.D (bike computer, got chuffed riding home as I averaged 35 on a mile long stretch of road with a slight up hill, then remembered firstly I'd not set it up and secondly it was in KM.)

Just waiting on the shop getting its delivery of BMX's then i'll have my Mary to play with.

4. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

I think it was 07 DJ1's that had a problem, i had two mates with the same year\model and both had same issue with a strange knocking noise (both fixed under warranty at the time). What year\model and how long since they've had a service (or atleast an oil change).

SB8's are supposed to be pretty good i've heard. What BMX's they getting?. I need to sell my BMX really (too many bikes :(), dunno if there would be any interest on here though.

5. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I run them on my STP all year round (had them on for over 2 year now), and just put them on my GT Zaskar. This time of year when the trails are dry and dusty or mabey have had a small shower on them they are perfect. Offer loads of grip but are also really fast rolling.

BMX'ing has really taken off here due to a skatepark being built so everyone wants something running 25/9 gearing. At the moment Haro's come in at the best price from £260, but we are getting some DIamond Backs too. This is all down to GT and Mongoose going silly with their prices and putting them up (so far 3 times since Sept.)

6. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

:hehe: i remember shitting a brick first ride with bike computer (that i had setup but not switched to miles) when it read 45 coming down a hill in the park :p

7. Jipa

'

Damn I'm not even sure, maybe DJ2 2004? The service is a loooong time ago as well.

BTW as a side note, I almost hit a reindeer today. :worried: (well it was 5 meters away when I noticed it, and actually it was a tree I almost hit after seeing the darn thing)

8. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

My DJ3s make some very rattly noises all the time, over small bumps. It's the bushing which have gone, and it seems to be a compliant of nearly every DJ fork I've seen. They're solid forks though, I wouldn't worry too much about breaking them (They weigh like 6lbs).

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

My new commuter bike, its bloody fast and bloody sore to ride around here roads are a bit of a mess in places. Just need to get the engine in shape....
    [​IMG]
    Gary Fisher Ar Super.

10. Jipa

Ok cheers for the reassuring words! I just saw someone snap a fork once, but it was some 130 mm single-crown, which to me seems like a disaster waiting to happen :wallbash:

Last edited: 27 Jun 2009
  11. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

My last rock shox fork rattled, it was really annoying. My pike is much better.

12. Jipa

:wallbash: :wallbash:

As I said, the DJ has always been making noises, so I've kinda been just suspecting it has started to make even more noises.. As it turns out, some of the similar noises come from the crank/bottom bracket area. O' cock. I already snapped one bottom bracket the other summer, and had to wait most of the summer for a replacement :(

I should really get the whole bike serviced, but am wondering if it's worth the money and effort. It's already closer to 10 years old, and I'm starting to guess most parts would require some repairs/changing :cry: Also the Bruiser frame has a tendency to snap, which is starting to seem like just another disaster waiting to happen.

Luckily I have a spare 1000 € to shell on a new bike. Nope, just kiddin.

Maybe I should just try to capitalize on the cheap £ and get some parts from there... Although that still wouldn't change the fact that I don't have any of the special tools required.

13. Krikkit

You could get the parts all sorted then take them down to a bike shop and get them to fit 'em. I'm sure that wouldn't be too expensive. :)

14. Jipa

Yeah I guess I'll have to do that. Now that £ is still pretty low, I might order the parts from UK. Any suggestions on cheap online stores? Another option is Germany... Finnish bike stores just don't have enough volume to keep the prices down :(

As of now I think the main issue is the rear brake (I guess I'll just throw the front brake out of the window), and the chain/cassette-area. I recently changed the front chain ring after taking a match with a rock, so it's probably the part that's in the best shape ATM.

So I guess I'm asking for cheap UK/German online dealers and suggestions for a new rear brake. I'm thinking a mechanical one would be powerful enough, so there's no NEED to go hydraulic, and I do have the tools to service mechanical brakes, unlike hydraulic...

I'll just forget about the worrying noises coming from the fork and frame, I can't afford to check what's wrong there :waah:

15. Krikkit

www.Chainreactioncycles.com is a great retailer - I've ordered a few times from them and they're very good. They do international shipping, but it is a bit pricey for shipping. In one big order it won't be too bad though. :)

16. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I'm pimping Merlin cycles at the moment - they're very efficient and have great prices (The last couple of things I've bought were significantly cheaper than ChainReaction prices).

The only decent mechanical disc brakes are the Avid BB7 / BB5. Everything else is cheap and rubbish. I wouldn't be put off hydro discs either - They're essentially maintenance-free, and no harder to set up than mechanical discs, plus they're more powerful, and auto pad adjustment is useful. Something like Shimano Deore hydros are more than good enough for an XC bike.

17. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Hoping to be back on the road by the end of next week, bike is going in for repairs on Sunday.

18. Jipa

Yeah I noticed that some hydr brakes come prebled, so those are one option. Currently I have avid mechs, which were good when they worked properly.

Oh and I don't care about the weight if heavier is better in some way. The bike is Trek Bruiser in case it matters.. Mainly orig. parts from seven(?) years back.

Last edited: 30 Jun 2009
  19. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I've not bought any thing from them in years (not bought any bike stuff in years) but the first mail order bike stuff i ever bought was a rear wheel from Merlin that was 8ish years ago and the sucker still runs like a trooper, top wheel-smiths (is that word?).

20. soopahfly

soopahfly Minimodder

Me and the wife have "His and Her's" On-Ones.

Her's is a 14" 456 in "That Blue", Rock Shox Revelations, Mavic 321 Rims, Hope Hubs and Avid Juicy 3 brakes. Needs a new headset as it pulls to the left. 456 Stem and Orange Supercross bars.

Mine's a 16" 456 Summer Season, in "Raw" finish. Marzocchi Bomber Drop Off II's, D521's on Hope hubs, Mono M4 brakes, Race Face Evolve XC cranks, XT front Mech and a Half Deore Half XTR rear mech. Hope Headset, Raceface bars and stem, Specialized Body Geometry saddle.

Last edited: 30 Jun 2009