1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Users revolt after The Pirate Bay's sale

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 1 Jul 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Can't say I used the site before the aquisition, and nor will I use it after.

**** site, **** users (mostly), **** uploaders, only good for keeping 90% of the nubs away from decent sites :shrug:

3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

the cash cow has roid raged.. I read they make 9 million a year off that site- or $25,000 a day 8o

4. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

What would the admins expect?
    IT IS a stab in the back. And if the admins where smart enough they would just be silent and perhaps form a new one.

Aye.. RIP TPB... Arrrrrr

5. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

RIP TPB. She were a good ship, the captain should'a gone down wi' ye. Barstards.

I am in mourning, not for the site, but for what it stood for.

One step closer to having to pay for all content on the internet.

6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Glad to see the creators have got some money, the site will now hopefully sink.

7. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

I think it feels more and more like they have some kind of agenda for selling out, there's just no other good explanation (Unless they did it just for the cash, but I refuse to believe that).

I'm entirely convinced that the "new" Pirate Bay will fail, miserably, but I also believe that the guys behind the site, as well as the entire Pirate movement will become stronger than ever thanks to the money that comes from the sale.

I might sound a bit naive thinking that the money will ever be used to make the internets a better place, but I still trust the creators of the Pirate Bay.

8. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ehh i barely used tpb so i could care less about the outcome but the sale seems obvious in that they probably had a lot of legal fees and fines to pay and might be able squeeze out just enough for a good retirement.

9. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

they sold it for $10 million. i doubt they would have done that if they were making 9 million a year.

10. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Maybe now it will stop hosting so much illigal stuff and stop making piracy "ok" in the eyes of the average jo!

11. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

They don't host any "illegal stuff" :rolleyes:

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

isn't it ?

13. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I have never visited/used this site because i am convinced that 99% of content was illegal. Who cares if they sold out, at least now it stands a chance of becoming legal.

14. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

LOL, get a kick out of this false sense of entitlement people have, you should have to pay for stuff on the internet just like elsewhere, what a spoled generation we live in today.

15. knuck

knuck Hate your face

of course it's illegal , hahahaha

16. TheUrbanWalker

TheUrbanWalker What's a Dremel?

I don't think anyone had a problem with Pirate Bay making already free stuff available to the masses.

I gather the main problem is the thousands of films, albums, and TV shows that you SHOULD pay for being made available for free to the masses. And I'm not on a high horse here, I've torrented like everyone else, the difference I know that really, if I'm honest I shouldn't.

17. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

Yea a stab in the back because they don't want to go to jail for a year so you(we) can download your movies/music and not pay for it? Also how much they sold it for isn't that much more than what they got fined. The rest probably covers legal fees.

EDIT: Also would this be a mutiny?

Last edited: 1 Jul 2009
  18. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

I think that it is ridiculous how self righteous these pirates are. I used to use the pirate bay, but I changed my ways. Even back then, I wasn't self righteous about it. Don't they realize that if everybody pirated everything, then nobody would make anything worth pirating? If you look at the games that are open source and free, they all stink to high heaven compared to professionally made titles like Crysis or Bioshock.

19. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Agreed. I have a big smile on my face cos of all the whining users out there who are throwing their dummies out of the pram.

20. Coldon

Coldon What's a Dremel?

+1

i also used to pirate games when i was younger, now I'll go out and buy games and feel good about it. Its because of piracy that we have intrusive DRM, feature removal (starcraft 2), reduced support for PC platform (HALO, crysis)... Gaming is a luxury if you cant afford the game don't play it. Think about crysis, it sold terribly and at least 90% of people on this forum has played it and i doubt more than 10% bought it.

Movies/tv shows are a little bit better in regards to piracy since they make most their money at the cinema or from selling the show to a network.

If TPB goes down its no major loss to me, i buy all my software and games. Software developers need to make a living too.

Tags: Add Tags