1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Native Video and Audio dropped from HTML 5 spec

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Jul 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

"uncertian patent landscape" ? ...but it's open sauce! (sic)

Apple don't like their free stuff do they... the only thing i don't like about iTunes is the lack of any open sauce goodness (FLAC et al) :(

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Hmm.
    I hate to admit this, but I think the W3C made the right decision here... With vendors not agreeing, there's no point in implementing. We've all seen that vendors ignore spec anyway or interpret it in their own way. No Common browser manages 100% in the Acid3 Test (which, by no means should be the alpha and omega here, but according to spec, all 100% compatible browsers should do it right).
    I'd say rather stick to more important factors in the spec (rounded corners are nice, since they'd drastically decrease loading times over using images, for example).
    Countries with enough bandwidth to really enjoy streaming video have a big spread of Flash/Shockwave/Silverlight at any rate....

4. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Bit of a shame, I've seen some nice demos over the last few months...

I know they would feel like a complete sell-out, but I wish someone big in the Firefox team would go work for Microsoft and fix internet explorer. Just bin what they have and start fresh.

5. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Very misleading title you have there, all they have done is drop the bit about which codec should be used and personally I think that is fine and we should let the net (see whatever Google goes with long term) decide which codec wins out.

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

the issue is, that this is gonna take forever to sort itself out.
    Look at how many people still use GIF's when PNG would be perfectly suitable and look better. in the same way, it's gonna stick forever that people embed flash/silverlight/shockwave for Video...

7. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

Google has got a point on the Theora quality. Other alternative would be dirac which is better and also open spec, but still nowhere near h264 with a good encode (x264). Shame about Vorbis though, since it can hold itself very well against other contemporary audio codecs.

8. boogerlad

boogerlad What's a Dremel?

apple can go screw themselves and their "superior"ness

9. boggsi

boggsi What's a Dremel?

Just me that is sick of flash lock in for multimedia content on the net?

Native video support would have rocked, gutted they are taking it out of the spec!

10. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

That's a shame, it would have simplified things.

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

The key word in the headline is Native. If you need to install a plug-in, it is not native support.

12. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

Users won't update their browsers for years anyway, so this feature won't be usable by accessible websites until at least 2015.

13. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Wow misleading title, I thought they had completely removed audio & video tags from HTML5, turns out they just made it where you have to specify a codec which is, IMO, a much better implementation than forcing a codec by default.

14. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

You won't have to install a plugin, the browsers will have the video & audio codec(s) built into them as FF & chrome already do. The whole point of this is to free us from flash & silverlight which it will still do rather nicely.

15. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

Browser market share worldwide as of today:

IE8: 10.7%
    IE7: 27.7%
    IE6: 22.4%
    FF3: 24.1%

I would say people are slow to adopt, but faster than 6 years. People don't update right away because everything still works. Break it and they will update.

16. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

No they'll just b*tch and whine and complain as they always do and demand a fix for the old version.

Perfect example are people b*tching about Windows 7 not looking like XP :rolleyes:

17. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

Yes! And that's what makes it uncertain.

If ogg becomes mainstream, how many companies are going to crawl out of the wood work and claim they own some of the techniques and code because they bought a company which bought a patent from a guy who once coded a solution for a friend of a friend and although it only rotated 8bit binary digits and has nothing to do with compression, they still claim they have got a rock solid patent !

18. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Just give me windows classic and I won't care :)

On topic, why should Apple get the final say? I'm almost starting to think they are bigger dictators than Microsoft now! Just because Apple won't implement OGG doesn't mean native support should be dropped.

19. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

It's not just Apple, Google are going with h.264 for YouTube because Theora simply isn't good enough yet to handle the levels of compression necessary to run such a massive site without raping the entire worlds bandwidth although that might change with time as open source alternatives mature although whether any codec can get to as high a level of compression while still maintaining excellent quality without stepping on a load of patents is doubtful at best.

20. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Why can't Apple do the same is what I'm getting at.

Tags: Add Tags