1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google announces Chrome OS

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jul 2009.

1. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I think it's interesting but I'd never use it, google's idea's for themes and stuff have always made me wanna vomit, but it could be promising, GMail is very lightweight when you compare it to the bloatware that Hotmail is so I use that and the question won't be will they defeat Windows IMO it will be will they beat the big Linux giants that are Gentoo and Ubuntu, etc? Apple's OS only got as big as it has because they sell machines with it on, if it was install only people wouldn't have cared as much and I don't see it coming on retail PC's, it being Linux and all. Maybe on Handheld devices and 5" laptops or some shrimpy weak machine.

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

We all knew it's coming. We just didn't know when. We still don't actually, just sooner than soon.

3. ImInTheZoneBaby

ImInTheZoneBaby Bring it on sucka!

WE ARE COMING.
    o_o

4. El Rando

El Rando I know what a dremel is

I'm actually intrigued to see what this is like. DOwn side is, yeah, no gaming but as samkiller42 said its not intended for huge gaming rigs. I love Google Chrome as a browser. Beats everything in my book so I'm looking forward to the OS

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

As far as my home PC goes, nothing will ever usurp Windows. It's too embedded now; all my games run on Windows, all the applications I use and am familiar with all run Windows, all the heavy-duty stuff I do (like image editing, video editing, video encoding/transcoding) all uses Windows software. I *know* there are open source alternatives, but I've tried that in the past - frankly I got sick of "Sorry, your system needs 3 bajillion other libraries before using this", "Sorry, you can't install this library to run this program because you haven't got the right version of some obscure package", "Sorry, you can't have this program in a pre-compiled or pre-packaged format - here, have some source code instead...", etc, etc, ad-infinitum. I'm more familiar with Windows - end of story.

However with my netbook, I'm far more open to trying out alternatives. I use my netbook for very little: web browsing and occasionally watching videos. So far, the best OS I've used on my netbook has been OSX. If google can pull off an OS that does the job just as well (that means: very simple to use, intuitive and uncomplicated) then I'll install it the moment the first RC, beta or even alpha is out.

And just before the Applebashers come out of the woodwork, try the damn thing first: for what I need out of a netbook, OSX runs beautifully.

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Chrome OS is for the netbook market. They never mentioned introducing it as a competitor to XP/Vista/7 or OSX. It's a lightweight OS to run on the low end hardware in netbooks.

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

No, but OSX and Win7 will all run on my netbook right now, so if Google can do it as well as, if not better, these then great - means I won't have to pay a fortune in licensing.

8. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

How was i wrong, i said it was a light weight OS for netbooks, and you took this to help your arguement:
    So, it backs up what i said, even the second source say, it's targeted at Netbooks, so, from what i can see, i'm far from wrong.

Sam

9. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Browser games should work plus I expect this isnt really meant for gaming as netbook owners are typically businessmen or students on the go.

10. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    So, no threat to Windows.

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

A threat to Windows in the netbook market. I mean what other games run on netbooks?
    Having said that, the LucasArts games might work. ;)

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Scumm VM would work on a netbook so you can already run old monkey islands etc

13. an4rew

an4rew System Builder

Google are going to fail with this one... reality check for them!

14. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'll stick with Win XP on a netbook

Tags: Add Tags