1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Games I Own: Final Fantasy VII

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 3 Jul 2009.

1. mauvecloud

mauvecloud What's a Dremel?

Wikipedia indicates the PlayStation supported resolutions from 256x224 to 640x480, but I guess either it couldn't handle the 3d graphics at 640x480 or Square didn't think the higher resolution was worthwhile considering composite output and CRT televisions. (the latter might also explain why they didn't upgrade the graphics for FF Anthology and FF Chronicles)

There are some legal uncertainties with using emulators like ePSXe, but I think I had the 3d parts of FF8 (running from the PSX discs) looking even better than the so-called "PC version", because it can render at resolutions as high as the monitor supports, though even that couldn't do much with the low-res backgrounds, and I didn't play very far. I think FF7 crashed ePSXe the last time I tried it, but I think that was in Vista, and I only tried it with one set of plugin choices; in XP with different plugin choices, it might work. I also have yet to try running it on my PS3.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Cool, cheers for the links.

You can't watch a foreign language film in an English dub, has to be the original languaqge all the way. However, I put the English dub on for a laugh... Never again. Even the subtitles on the DVD release suck, the fansubs are so much better.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

4. mauvecloud

mauvecloud What's a Dremel?

It might be possible on the PS1 - the F and A keys for the PC version are probably just mimicing the functions of buttons on the PS1 controller, but it may be tricky to figure out which buttons.

5. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

yeah, i played it on PS1, and it worked the same way.

I believe you hold a shoulder key and then bash away on X or something like that :p

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

If you're using the default button config, you have to hold down "select" and mash "square". As soon as you press Select, the menus & stat bars disappear. If you do it during a GF sequence and you've taught them Boost, a little hand appears in the bottom right: if it's solid, mash away; if there's a cross over the hand, don't touch square - you'll lose the boost you've gained so far; if the hand is flashing, the GF summon sequence is about to end.

The highest you can boost is up to 255. Not all GFs will go that high though... unless of course you're using an auto-fire pad, but that's just not cricket - you can get GFs to 255 boost without an autofire pad....

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yup, that's it.

I can only get Eden up to 255, I can't get any of the others. I've managed some of 'em as far as 210, though... through luck rather than judgement. ;)

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Eden is easy to boost - the sequence is so damn long! I think I damn near broke my fingers while playing FF8... I think that FF8 had the best battle system out of the FF games I've played so far (have only finished: FF7, FF8, FF9, FFX), but FF7 is still the best... All those hours breeding a damned gold chocobo, trying & failing miserably to beat Ruby & Emerald weapon, levelling up materia just to get the master materias....

Ahhh, nostalgia.... :)

9. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yeah, exactly. Eden's easy. The others are a nightmare. ;) And autofire/pulsefire joypads are cheating. :hehe:

I liked the materia system in VII (although it was far too easy to abuse the hell out of it and powergame to a ridiculous level...) it was harder to abuse the junction system in the same way, although Sphere Grid abuse was fairly simple as well if you could be bothered to grind for hours.

I liked the levelling system in Final Fantasy II a lot. Stats improve as you use them. Unfortunately, it did have the tendency to make you hang around at the start of the game attacking your characters... that increases HP, Def and Atk. :D In one play through, I got my characters so beefed up that it took the bosses to do any damage to them at all. (Although poison attacks from things like hornets could still inflict status effects... :()

10. Yoy0YO

Yoy0YO Lurky Lurker

Oh dear, reading this is bringing me to nostalgia-tears.

Tags: Add Tags