1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How to Make a Mac Killer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Jul 2009.

1. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

"even though the reputation for 'evil' has stuck with Microsoft -- despite the fact that Bill Gates gives a huge amount of money to charity."

Bill Gates got most of that money via a variety of underhanded business practices early on, such as announcing vapor ware in order to drive competitors out of business. Still he's at least redeeming himself. Jobs continues on as he always has.

2. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I have to say I am disappointed with the review. For one primary reason. Only statements of opinion where made as to how much this piece of hardware is, over that one. No BT numbers or graphs on how long it took to to perform production tasks.
    Missing stats or failure to run them is huge omission of how the two machines in question compare.
    Missing tests: just as an example of how hard data is missing from the test.
    Handbrake H.264 Encoding
    GIMP Image Editing
    Multitasking Performance
    Cinebench R10
    Euler3D
    FlamMap
    How can anyone tell someone else oh this is better for video editing, when no statistics are there to back it up. OS preference as to how easy or function the GUI is, is kinda pointless when 3/4 of the users using them don't know 1/5 of how to even use the whole system, or need to use the whole system. If I can walk into a new client to sell a complete computer system, and they ask "I heard Mac was better for video or photo editing", I can say, well, yes/no these figures show that editing 200 pics or 30mins of video takes this much time on a pc vs. mac. Multiply that by 20 users, by 5 days a week, by 50 weeks, and you tell me how many salary hours you have to pay for, just because the users are waiting on their machines to finish.
    If I'm not mistaken, that is how mac got their foot in the door with all the magazine and media publishers back in the early 90's to begin with. OS/GUI/APP preference is all subjective, but when the check is cut, the users are going to use what I sold and setup for them.
    Again, I'm very disappointed by the lack of actual time tests for production type tasks.

3. DeadMan

DeadMan Betterer

Hardware for hardware its easy to make a machine that is more powerful than a mac, but when it comes down to the operating system windows is clearly superior at most tasks due to the vast amount of software available.

To make a true "Mac Killer" just add Ubuntu 64bit which would give you a more like for like comparison.

Apple will always win in the looks department as this IS their key selling point.

4. koola

koola Minimodder

I'd always take the mac over whatever "mac killer" lol they build. It's the best investment I ever made.

5. leslie

leslie Just me!

On the contrary I hear Mac people all of the time claiming a Mac is no more expensive than a PC.
    It is mostly Pc people tend to say there is a "Mac tax".

I would consider a Mac laptop (if it weren't for that stupid one mouse button), but not a desktop.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2009
  6. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

macs have two-finger tap. it works perfectly well for right-clicking.

7. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

The one button, i.e. REAL Mac, is apparently long gone. The modern Mac is just a UNIX style box with a tarted up GUI, and an effort made to REMOVE the ability UNIX has to have multiple active windows at the same time.

8. Kunin

Kunin What's a Dremel?

Could have saved another 90 by going with Ubuntu, free OS plus plenty of good (free) apps to compare with what comes free on a Mac.

9. Nicholas

Nicholas What's a Dremel?

NUMBER 1!!!!!!!!!

WHY WHY WHY!!!! Compare a PC to a MAC LAPTOP!

Why didn't you compare a PC to a Mac Pro (tower) http://www.apple.com/macpro/ ??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would make more sense in every way.

I own a macbook pro laptop (2.2ghz intel) and a gaming pc ( asus m2n e sli mobo - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition @ 3.2ghz - 2 geforce 8800gt oc running in SLI - 600w psu - 4 gb ram - air cooled - with lots of extras for under 1,200) (umm add in a 50" samsung plasma 1080p tv for a monitor)

Macbook pro is for my graphics classes at school (southeast tech, sioux falls, s.d.) and my pc is for gaming and everything else.

The only thing I like about mac is osx and how hard it is to get a virus... viruses are built for mainstream computers.. the PC because there is a larger audience with them. osx does not have a system registry and all the other crap that comes with ANY version of windows. my macbook is way underclocked and if it wasnt... it would probably start of fire because the cooling on the thing SUCKS.

Hardware wise.. try upgrading your mac to be even up close to par with a PC especially try upgrading it for cheaper than a PC.

get a phenom black edition and stomp the crap out of mac pro tower computers. people dont really give a crap about how something looks... moders dont... they change it themselves. mainstream just cares if the thing works or not and just like cars.... a mac may be looking like a Ferrari but it has an engine out of a ford pinto. I like my PC its like an old muscle car - it may not look all that great... but that Hemi with 800+ hp KILLS MACS ALL DAY LONG.

Just my .02

10. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

since when can you play crysis on mac os x? and all the other guys saying about gaming on mac, check the catalogue of games for mac os x - bootcamp isn't mac, you are running win, it's just for convenience so you can run your favourite win soft on your mac machine.

11. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

I still love how people think macs are better at video and photo editing, ive done a tonne of edjucation, and generally speaking, people who invest in a Mac are
    1) Dont have a clue about computers.
    2) Just think its better because all the idiots tell them it is.
    3) There rich and their "daddy" bought them one.

Tbh i wouldnt even accept a mac even if it was free.

The software arguement is long gone also, as all software currently runs on both platforms.
    If your going to base a computer purchase on the aesthetic's and look. Its just idiotic.

Also i love how your paying 1k+ for a dual core.
    You could get a cheaper i7 System which is made for photo/video editing and encoding..which would wipe the floor of any mac.

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

on the Nehalem Mac pro released. i priced a similar computer on OCuk with gtx280 graphics card. still cheaper than the single CPU, 12GB Mac Pros with GT120 graphics.

the Mac Pro is not a consumer product, no one buys it for their living room. so with iMac the next one down the chain. you don't really have a choice.

13. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Yup, for this reason.

14. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

So why is it, Mr. One post wonder, that almost every professional studio/photographer, professional video editor, or graphic layout professional prefers to use a Mac? I would think that in an SME where every cent counts, that decisions are based on a value/performance basis. If you were to go on cost and the assumption of higher quality/performance, then 99% of visual professionals would go with a PC, yet they don't. Not to mention that every single software developer I know uses a Mac as well. Funny that, since we obviously all are idiots that know nothing about computers and all have rich daddies.

Oh, and education isn't spelled with a j. If you're going to go on about your education and call others idiots, you might want to try spell check. My Mac has it. You might want to install in on your PC.:D

Last edited: 13 Jul 2009
  15. Jozo

Jozo This is bit-tech

Touche

16. leslie

leslie Just me!

Yeah, because tweaking your fingers is so much easier than just having proper buttons. If Mac's are supposed to be so intuitive, I would say using two finger right click, is a big fail on their part. Sorry, I want a proper right click. I think most Mac uses are smart enough to be capable of using a second button.

I can see why they went one button back when people were not familiar with computers, this did make it easier, but times have changed, it's time for a second button. Humans evolved, so can the Mac.

I'm not trying to Mac bash, I do like them, but that is just a serious flaw in them in my eyes, one that makes then feel more like a toy to me. I'm not some toddler who needs and extra large mouse button so I can mash it with my hand while trying to click.

In terms of graphics...
    Artists prefer Macs because:
    A. They are simple.
    B. It appeals the artist in them.
    C. Most of them learned on a Mac and old habits die hard.
    D. Many held onto the miss-conception that Macs were always faster.

mm vr likes this.
  17. zagortenay

zagortenay What's a Dremel?

1. The MAC system presented here is ridiculously expensive.
    2. Basically it is a laptop wih a very big screen (not the best screen though).
    3. This thing definitely is not for a computer enthusiast: it is not costum built and can not be easily upgraded.
    4. Provides average general performance. Can not play games (stuck with 2 cores and a mediocre graphics card).
    5. A Phenom II X4 810 or even an X3 720 draws circles around this thing, when it comes to multitasking and video editing and they are cheaper than E8400. (Phenom II X4 810 = 130$)
    6. Operating system not compatible with some programs and applications.
    5. Sleek, attractive design? So what? Too girlish design for my taste anyway...
    5. Silent: OK this is what is left over for you. Ha ha! (You can build an equally silent PC without sacrificing that much of money).

I like competition an it is always good to have alternative systems, but... MAC system in general is so expensive that, I can not call it as an alternative. It is not a rational choice and this choice is not justifiable with numbers. Some of the arguments proposed by MAC users just does not make sense, like "it is safer in terms of virus protection" etc. I have been using freeware anti-virus and firewall programs for years and I can not remember my pc getting infected; not feven or once.
    Last words:
    It is your own money, spend it as you like, but know what you are doing. Know that all this love about MAC is just weird. I just can not understand this kind of weird brand loyalty.

18. Nicholas

Nicholas What's a Dremel?

Touche' to this lol

19. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

You realize you can use any mouse with a mac right, you don't have to use an apple one. :confused:

20. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

not true, i'm crying at work on win and photoshop + illustrator (q6600 + 2GB of RAM), at home the same setup but with hackintosh and the same soft runs much much smoother and faster and have open another 10 apps in the background, that's something i really can't on win. so it's back to basics - it's all about OS not hardware.

Tags: Add Tags