1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What Hardware Should I Buy? - July 2009

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 8 Jul 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We write for a UK market sorry (there are enough US buyers guides!) - good spot though! It goes without saying the 4870 would get the buy :thumb:

2. Faiakes

Faiakes What's a Dremel?

Fair enough.

Perhaps you should define a Gamer's PC category. Personally, I belong in that. I want a setup that will get me more frames, couldn't care less about the rest. (although usually a good Gamer's PC will be decent at most things).

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If you just want a machine to game on, buy an Xbox. :p

Seriously, most people want to use a PC to do multiple things and if you just only ever want to game, take the list as a guideline to make your own within the budget you want :)

4. Faiakes

Faiakes What's a Dremel?

Buy an xBox !?!

How dare you insult me, sir? I demand a duel to restore my honour. :)

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

multi-core gaming is the future. you can't expect your 10Ghz single core to last forever.

look at those people whine about GTA4 is apparently buggy. whereas my GTA4 on my quad core plays perfectly smooth from day one.

besides, the few FPS difference won't get you as far as the smoothness or the amount of background task you can do.
    can you tell me you don't install a game while playing another? Folding while playing games? exctracting/compressing file while playing game?

it's like the arguement between 8GB of RAM and 4GB of RAM. the difference between 800Mhz and 1066Mhz is unnoticeable, while doubling the size is very noticeable in any OS.

6. Faiakes

Faiakes What's a Dremel?

Why would I be installing one game while playing another or exctracting/compressing???

I said dual core not single! (I'm not daft). The fact is most games can barely use o2 cores. When the software has improved to actually take full advantage, then quad core only.

Apples and oranges...

7. Faiakes

Faiakes What's a Dremel?

8. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Can anyone give me any advice on a graphics card for photoshop? The new CS4 utilises the GPU to render what's on the screen and also a few other enhancements.

Do you think rather than go for a graphics card with all the trimmings and latest direct x support, just go for one with brute force...

Thanks.

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

it's very straight forward, PC are multi-tasking monsters. as Bindi said, for only gaming, Xbox is both cheaper and more effective. the only reason to buy a PC is to be able to do mulitple things at once, and a quad core does it much, much better than dual cores.

there is always the arguement of "when it's needed, i'll buy it". but look at those who have bought e6850 when they could have bought q6600. the e6850 are worthless now, whereas q6600 are still selling strong, with second hand value of £100.

Tags: Add Tags