1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware First Look: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5 motherboard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 14 Jul 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

"that Gigabyte unhelpfully labels SATA3" .. only confusing if your a dyslexic clown?

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

They'll do whatever was set out in the NDA agreement in the event that you break it. Which would probably be two things; sue the crap out of you and make sure you never get another bit of Intel related kit early ever again. ;)

I like the layout of that Gigabyte board a lot more than I liked the Asus one, with one exception; the location of the PATA connector.

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Or if you're trying to do what the specifications demand:
    [quote='SATA 6Gbs specs (not exactly like that of course)]
    DON'T call it SATA3.0 or SATA3 or SATAIII!!![/quote]

Nice board layout but then again they all seem to learn how to do it properly... sloooowly.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This is why, in a nut shell. It should be called SATA 6Gbps. "SATA3" is too confusing with SATA 3Gbps.

6. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I must say i find this board a lot more desireable then the Asus one so far. Except for the orange PCIe slots that is, they are fugly.

And the PATA connector... there's a lot more connectors on my motherboard that i'm ignoring, so i can easily add one more :)

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

isn't it confusing to put 2 orange PCIe slots where 1 is connected to the CPU and the other is to the southbridge and cannot do crossfire?

otherwise i really like this board. looks very promissing and may even be my next upgrade, if Bit-tech launch review says yay

is the Intel's NAND chip going to be useful for, say 16GB RAM system?

also, for the powered ESATA, what do i need, new cable that split into two on the other end?

Last edited: 14 Jul 2009
  8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

This may be a daft question, please point it out if it is, but why does the CPC mounting socket on a Gigabyte board have itself plastered with Foxconn?

9. adidan

For CPC please read CPU.

* facepalm *

10. shadow

shadow honky ponky

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Because Foxconn make a lot of the parts used in motherboard manufacture - it's a MASSIVE company. They are either the only company, or one of two companies that makes the LGA1156 socket.

And charges a pretty penny for it too ("tens of dollars") - making P55 boards expensive at launch.

12. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Disappointing really. No Sata 6gbps or USB 3.0 ports... STILL! And those standards have been published for a while now.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

There IS SATA 6Gbps!! Four ports!

The only USB 3 controller available (NEC) is currently too expensive for P55.

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Eeeehhh.... did you read the article? There are SATA 6Gbps ports.
    Damnit Bindi! You ninja'd me! :grr:

15. adidan

That, I did not know.

Cheers.

16. MgM*

MgM* What's a Dremel?

I have to say I like the duality of the e-sata and USB connections, i think thats pretty cool. with minimal real-estate at the rear it really makes sense to me.
    But 4 ram slots? does that mean we will start seeing i don't know 3gig dimms in the market for the new familly of CPU's?

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, you'll simply see 4GB and 8GB kits, not 6GB and 12GB like with current LGA1366.

18. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Oops I missed that part. Still, I'll skip this as it has SATA 6gigabit support on the motherboard itself when Intel already propose to integrate the southbridge on the upcoming Intel Core CPUs, and would also prefer a purely SATA 6gigabit design, as opposed to a mixture with SATA 3gbps ports.

Oh and PS/2 ports...? Really? WHY!?

19. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

mmmm, 12 sata ports in total. sexy. Hopefully the gigabyte sata3 ports work better in the BIOS than the ones on the AM3 ud5 board that i have, it like to pair the ports together and made it difficult to get hard drives on the same 'pair' to work independently....

20. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Because when a BIOS absolutely refuses to work with a USB keyboard... PS/2 is the only way. :)

Tags: Add Tags