1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Which Version of Windows 7 to Pre-order

Discussion in 'Software' started by Promethus, 12 Jul 2009.

1. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I've only ever see the MS site say 99.99 so I guess its changed :)

The first article I read was on theregister which said 79.99 then they changed to 99.99 later on.

I'll be buying it for a home PC, upon which I play games, and browse the net, and write some email, and that's about it. I don't need to join a domain :)

Joining a domain on a home computer will actually slow boot times and login times, especially on a wireless network. I just want my PC to boot fast and play games :D

Home-E for me please Mr Microsoft Discounting Guy. I would've stuck with XP had you not ridiculously reduced the price of your full version of Win7. Upgrades suck, but full edition for £50? Yes plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Upgrade is in licensing term... If you have Windows 2000, XP or a higher edition of Vista from Win7 edition. The UPGRADE disk will do a CLEAN-INSTALL. If your previous Windows is not legit, then I suggest to get the OEM disk as it will be cheaper. It will be locked down to your motherboard (so that means no transfer), but hey, if it is like Vista it will be about the price of the Upgrade disk non on special.

3. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Either I've mis-understood the terms of this pre-order, or you have :lol:

My understanding and reading is that Microsoft are NOT offering an upgrade version, or upgrade license, to Europe, due to the removal of IE8 from Windows "E" edition. They are offering the full version, at upgrade pricing instead.

No-one said anything about illegitimate versions of XP either ;)

4. bdead

bdead rawk.

You can now pre-order.

Snap them up quick before they go!!

5. Dr_Horse

Dr_Horse What's a Dremel?

The US pre-order stock allocation didn't sell out so I doubt ours will. Not until pay day at the end of the month anyway.

I'm getting the Pro E btw.

6. bdead

bdead rawk.

I ordered from Amazon just now because I presume they won't charge me until October. (hopefully I'll have some funds by then!)

Pro E for me as well!

7. GoodBytes

It sold out in Japan...
    Anyway, I would like to recall to that E series as no IE8.. so that means, no ability to go to hardware manufacture to download the driver let alone your web browser. You just complicate your life to setup your system. PLUS, IE8 can be uninstalled on any edition of Windows 7.
    PLUS, IE8 ActiveX is still in on the E edition to allow software that uses internal web browsers (like Winamp) to still work. All you save is a 1-2 MB to not have the executable.

So all you do, is punish yourself. If you have IE8 and don't use it, it doesn't help Microsoft in market shares.

And, if you think that the E edition means no IE in shell.. then I must inform you that since Vista, IE is out of Windows Shell.

8. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Uh, in the UK we only have the E editions.

And I wouldn't be so sure it won't sell out here, after all we don't know what the allocation size is over here compared with the US, nor how great the demand will be, so saying that the US didn't sell out its pre-order allocation doesn't mean anything really. Ebuyer for one are already showing it as sold out (luckily just after I got my order in)

9. bdead

bdead rawk.

run
    CMD [enter]
    ftp [enter]
    open releases.mozilla.org [enter]
    if asked for a user: anonymous [enter]
    if asked for a password, leave it blank [enter]
    DIR [enter]

CD pub [enter]

DIR [enter]

CD MOZILLA.ORG

Keep going like this until you get to Firefox / RELEASES / 3.5 / WIN32 / en-GB

If you can't tell what folder to go to, type DIR and it will list the contents.

Then

GET "Firefox Setup 3.5.exe"

Or just dl it now and put it on a memory pen.

10. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Damn on ebuyer the W7 Pro does not indicate if it is 64 bit or not, me wants 64 bitz!

11. bdead

bdead rawk.

It comes with both 32bit and 64bit mate on 2 DVDs.

OH THE JOYS OF RETAIL

12. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

No sites do.

My guess is both versions come on the same disc, and you get the option on install.

EDIT: Ninja'd :grr:

13. bdead

bdead rawk.

Aha but I actually think your right on the 1 disc front.

14. Turbotab

Thanks guys, I'm glad to see that their offer relates to the retail version, useful for those who like to change their system often, I thought it was going to OEM, :)

15. GoodBytes

When I called Microsoft store (U.S) they said 2 disk will be provided. I guess we have to wait and see if they don't change their mind or if Europe will be different.

16. bdead

bdead rawk.

2 discs would be nice, and you even get the PLASTIC BOX. thats the bit I'm looknig forward to as opposed to some cheap supermarket jewel case with my OEM sticker on it. :D

17. Turbotab

Anybody ordered more than 1 copy to sell on at a later date?

18. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

It'll probably be the same over here then. Not that it really makes too much difference.

Out of interest: for the ones that are, why are you going for the Pro version? I've had a look at the extra features it provides and I either didn't know what they were or would never use them, so it doesn't really justify being double the price.

The only thing that might concern me is the RAM limitation of the HP version, but that's an unknown as it really depends on the lifetime of the OS (I'm hoping its longer than Vista) and whether I'd seriously need more than 16GB within that time period.

I'm considering it :D

TBH though it's probably not worth the hassle since they'll only be about £20 to be made by doing so.

19. Turbotab

@ SMC, I went for Pro because of its higher RAM limit and the ability to join a domain. Ebuyer seems to be the cheapest for W7 Pro, only £80, their service is good as well.

For an extra £30 quid I think Pro is decent value, especially for gamers, given that more upcoming games will be programmed for 64 bit environments, the amount of RAM needed could skyrocket.

20. bdead

bdead rawk.

Pro also for Windows XP mode. Mainly the 16GB limit though