1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News C&C 4 requires constant internet connection

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Jul 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Yeah... No thanks.... Just GTFO EA, just GTFO

3. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

i guess internet connections are as much a requirement now as a CPU and a Graphics Card and rightly so if it adds to the experience!

People will still bitch though :D

4. PT88

PT88 What's a Dremel?

Sounds like pure Bull&%*t to me......

Screw EA, they have destroyed one of the best RTS game series there ever was....

5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

A constant internet connection you say, that's all very well but what if an ISP decides to block that particular server (I'm looking at Pipex here, they've already done it with Steam)?

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

that's just wrong. not everyone lives in one place and able to have 24/7, 356 days a year internet connection.

i moved to my summer placement, and only living there for 3 month. it's really hard and expensive to get a connection for such a short period.
    (managed in the end with a really nice neighbour who agreed to share his fiber connection)
    we moved to a new house first of July for new accademic year, and until now, my housemates are still living in the house without a connection because of the 2 weeks needed by BT and O2.

the fact is, even it seems like everyone has internet. require a singleplayer game to have constant internet connection is still wrong.

7. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

um... how the hell is constantly tracking a player's progress a "feature" that warrants constant internet connection?

8. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

"This is primarily due to our 'player progression' feature so everything can be tracked"

this just sounds like a bad excuse, 'player progression' sounds like something like stats in BF2 or the likes, something that are mostly useful for competitive online play, but for singleplayer (assuming there will be one) mostly useless and not required to be online.

In the end an excuse, but in the end it will properly have no effect on pirating, give it two days and there's a crack.

9. I-E-D

I-E-D Minimodder

Whats the point of always on... Surely you can just do it once a day?

And what happens if someone turns on a microwave?!?

10. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

EA....FAIL...

So it would be to hard to keep your stats on a file on your PC, and upload them when you want to play multi player.

I spy the DRM monkeys flying overhead.

11. Rexxie

Rexxie What's a Dremel?

Sounds like an excuse to implement anti-piracy measures, to me.

12. logonui

logonui Minimodder

So does this mean that it always has to have a process running in the background????

Gonna have to skip this one i think.

13. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

I guess if they are making it PC exclusive they are introducing more DRM to guarantee their investment in the platform. So more DRM but you could get a better game since all resources will be PC focused.

14. naokaji

naokaji whatever

And once again EA wastes all ressources on inventing new anti piracy measures instead of making a game that is worth buying.

Seriously, if your internet doesnt work for some reason what do you do with a computer? play some game? ohh wait you can't if its C&C4.

For anyone who wants to argue I must be a pirate due to my dislike for anti piracy measures that hurt honest Customers, have a look here in the thread with the 10 most torrented games in 08.

15. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

This.

'Tis a good question - especially now since those people who are actually worried about games requireing internet connections have an excellent example in what Pipex have done. You can no longer argue 'oh, but internet is nearly ubiquitous now' and say that anyone wanting to play said game needs to sort out internet... you might have internet... you might have really fast internet... but if the ISP decides to give you the metaphorical finger when it comes to a particular service/program/server... you're screwed.

Makes me wonder why Pipex (or someone else) haven't tried blocking World of Warcraft, either - patches on that game are delivered via P2P aren't they?

Stops cheaters. Stop pirates.

Theoretically.

They might justify it by providing 'value added' extras like, "Stuck on this bit of this mission? Click here for hints or videos of Pro's playing this map!"

Very good question. With luck it's just that the game talks to EA's servers while you're playing, giving info like what level you're on. With bad luck, however... it'll be something talking to EA's servers giving info like what programs are running, what you've got installed (hardware and software)... stuff like that.

I'm gonna pass on this game. EA have managed to kill a great series. :(

Hopefully the internet storm that this starts will be big, messy and leave EA doing a quick U-turn.

16. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Well unless this changes, thats me not buying this game

Kimbie

17. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Yeah umm, then don't shut the f*cking servers down after 3 years, would you?

18. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Is this really even an issue in 2009? come on, how many PC gamers do not have high speed? There is more then enough to justify needing a net connection. BUT, people will complain like ea stole their children,. Much ado about nothing really. I never saw people get so riled up then against things like this, too bad people never turne their hate on pirates, but, that would actually make sense.

19. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

PC exclusive, pC gamers will whine so much about requiring an internet connection (Woop de doo), causing bad word of mouth, hurting sales. PC gamers are their own worse enemy.

20. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Probably because the majority of us are with ISP's that either limit the users monthly usage (allowance) despite being 'unlimited' or in the case of Pipex completely block certain applications completely.

Of course there is always the argument that why should a SINGLE PLAYER game NEED constant internet access?!

The simple point here is that the game should not require this unless you happen to be playing it in multiplayer.

When will developers/ publishers realise that is DRM like this (lets face it the real reason here is to prevent piracy) that causes people to pirate the game in the first place. Perhaps one day they will realise that key to making a decent profit is to both not treat your customers like they are criminals AND make a decent, unique, and thoroughly enjoyable game for once (something EA seems incapable of).

Tags: Add Tags