1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News C&C 4 requires constant internet connection

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Jul 2009.

1. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Doesnt bother me in the slightest. All my PC's are hooked up to the internet anyway, so its a non issue. A computer without the internet is borderline useless these days.

The model may actually work too. I quite fancy an RTS that has persistence qualities like an MMO.

And we dont complain that an internet connection is required to play WOW now do we !

What worries me is that it was hard enough getting C&C3 working properly through my router when multiple people were at the house to play others online and host games, so without LAN play C&C4 better improve in this area.

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

That's not what we're worried about. At least not me. It's the fact that EA shuts down server support for their games after a few years.

3. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

By that time they probably feel that they have gotten all the money out of the game they can... so three things will/can happen:

1. they release a patch which removes the internet connection requirement, unless its actually needed for game play.

2. they release the server software and someone else will host

3. most likely thing is that you have already gotten sick and tired of the game and are playing C&C 7!

A fourth option is that you use one of the 50 cracks which will be available and disable the internet bit that way

4. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Right heres sommit new, how about people wait to hear about the new features and details before they judge.....shocking I know.

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I still miss Generals : (

Even though it works with Hamachi it's impossible to get a decently sized group together.

6. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

QF absolute T.

You know it's amusing, marketing 101 tells you that you find a niche market in a crowded marketplace and you cater for the top 20% of your audience because they bring in 80% of your income. If you want to cater for the lowest common denominator then by all means, build a game that will run on PCs built 5 years ago but it will be crap. Hell, you guys don't even know what this new always online feature will do! At least wait until they reveal what it is before slating it!

7. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

naeh, It's mutch more fun talking about something you don't know anything about :D

8. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Also, how will the save system work?

I remember when the latest Unreal Tournament game came out I found it really annoying that whenever my net connection dropped (remember during Single player, you had to be connected to the Gamespy server) the game would kick me back to the menu and would lose all the single player levels and bonuses I'd completed since the last save.

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

I know that this is not a valid comparison, but, what if the next version of Word needed constant internet connection for it to work?

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

it is a good comparison.

Word as singleplayer game, Outlook as multiplayer game. so you won't want to be required to be constantly connected to the internet.

another could be a mobile phone need plugged in to function. this is a metaphor of being tied down to something unnecessary.

PC gamers isn't killing PC gaming. it's the publishers who put unnecessary DRM and making pirate's life easier, legit buyer's life harder.

look at 2Dboys who made World of Goo, they didn't put ANY DRM and the game sold very well. it's the quality of the game that matters, and often, publishers blame poor sales on pirates instead of bad game design. (in Gears of War PC port's case, bad multiplayer system: Games for Windows Live)

11. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

And DirectX 11 :D

OT: While I don't really care about a need for constant connection, the reason behind it seems, well, stupid. To say that it is " for your own good", or for the benefit of the game, just sounds so much like a parent scolding a child.

DRM is DRM.

12. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

"Command and Conquer 4 will require a constant internet connection to play"

I've no problem with that. If it stops piracy - which is what this is about - then good for them. It's better than that securom guff.

Everyone I know has permanent 365 days a year internet connections to their PC's. So, where's the fire?

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

14. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Unlucky wuyanxu, maybe you can provide a better example of a company not using DRM that isn't rampantly pirated by kids and chavs?

15. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

World of goo, lol, were comapring big budget titles to the likes of world of goo, Stardock niche games that only need to sell 100,000 copies for a profit, a little perspective here. I don't know about you, I do not want PC to turn into a Niche, RTS, indie game machien only. I like my Stalkers, Witchers, Mass Effects, etc on PC to. Stop bringing up Stardock, they were pirated as much as anyone, the difference is he likes tooting his own horn too much, and they are perfectly happy to have a low budget and sell small numbers for profit, not reality for bigger name games today.

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

17. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Speaking of World of Goo being pirated like crazy.

It was only pirated outside of Steam and not in Steam I'm pretty sure ...

Maybe someone could clarify that?

And Steam requires internet connection most times except for when in offline mode ...

Wow ... similarities ... to this story ... but no boycotting Steam ... Hmmm ... intelligence .... not ... found ... here.

18. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

19. dylAndroid

dylAndroid is human?

I think the way for them to pull off what they're trying to do, and do it right, would be to not require the internet connection, but make added game features that become available with the internet connection so compelling, that 95% or more of people use it.

And this would have to be a situation where the features enabled through net connection would logically require a net connection.

Done like this, it's a win on many sides: actual DRM would be unnecessary, and a quality game would have had to have been produced, therefore it's a win for us as well as game designers who like to do good work. It would strengthen EA's brand and help shake their bad reputation. It would also allow the executives who are so concerned about piracy to pat each other on the back, as this would reduce that as well, though without the conventional DRM.

I swear, it's like the majority of people running EA don't seem to understand business. Let's see if this product changes that.

20. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags