1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Left 4 Dead 2 Hands-on Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 14 Jul 2009.

1. Jasozz

Jasozz What's a Dremel?

Even though it was by your doing that this discussion become somewhat heated, apparently things that you do tire you? Or being a ranting hypocrite might be what is tiring you as well. I still hope you do learn to read someday, it will definitely help you in the future.

2. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I paid plenty of attention thank you, I had actually started that message before you posted your correction, so sue me.

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

let me guess this was written before the interview? anyhow Im looking forward to L4D2 it looks like its going to be a lot better then its "daddy" as you put it with all the updates to it, that will make it more interactive. So ya I cant wait to get my hands on this. :)

4. Jasozz

Jasozz What's a Dremel?

Okay, I see. Sorry for the accusation.

5. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Its looking good. Thanks for the preview.
    As a L4D1 fan, I cant wait for L4D2, and believe the work they have done to deliver it is worth the money.

November is looking to be a good month for us PC gamers... COD MW2 + L4D2 + Starcraft 2 maybe... gamer heaven this xmas.

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

If Valve made L4D characters playable in L4D2, it would require that they had an existing copy of L4D. On PC this would be installed. On 360, well. I assume the system would either be copy L4D to the drive, or when you want to play the old characters, whack the old game in. So your argument about sound sizes is, pretty much, entirely without base.

Textures etc with the source engine are hardly big.

Consider this: the entirety of the Orange box as textures, editors, models, objects, etc clocks in at 4.7gb. That's a hell of a lot more than would possibly be contained in L4D2 as a download.

L4D1 wasn't anywhere near that as a download. It barely hits 5gb extracted.

tl;dr: Your reasoning is wrong.

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Nope. The interview was typed up the day that it was done and published a day or two after. This was written up on Monday based on notes and recordings and memories I made on the same day as the interview.

8. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

You just ruined my day :(

9. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Really looking forward to this game, the melee system won't be that good anyway because if it was no one would use guns apart from tanks and smokers, I do agree with people saying it looks like they just wanna sell sequels instead of the content for the current game that they promised was to be released, I don't care either way though. One thing I want to point out about how big it could be as DLC is for people who will be buying on steam and stuff and I think valve should rethink how they distribute the games, instead of DLing the game with EVERY language you could ever want ie increasing both download time, HDD space and bandwidth issues for their servers, they should consider letting people choose which language to download it in and DL the other languages if they require them. I mean look at pirate copies of games and how many DVD9 games could be ripped to DVD5 by removing excess languages.

10. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

1. incendiary ammo is a feature in the first game (along with persistant statistics), however it has never been 'switched on'
    2. the charger was an idea from the forum, the guy did sketches and everything. not saying its a bad thing, but makes you wonder what the design team have been doing except changing the skybox?
    3. 'melee' system, did that really take a year to implement? Give a good modder an afternoon with the right tools and hey presto.

I mean, left4dead is worth the money definitely, cost me £25 I think. and I'm sure if you didn't have left4dead, left4dead 2 is worth the money.

But the question is, what really significant new things does left4dead 2 bring to the field that makes it worth 4 hours pay that I haven't already got with left4dead? The answer is, the new maps. More content is good. But then that comes straight back to what everyone has been moaning about, why isn't this DLC or an addon?

The whole debacle has largely put me off playing even left4dead the first, as I feel a bit short changed. Is 4 maps for a multiplayer game enough? For a full-price multiplayer game, nonetheless. (Remember, TF2 was part of the orange box where you got portal and half life 2 episode 2, for the same price there must have been combined about 30-40 maps I am guessing?).

11. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Lol, how do people keep forgetting about the five entire new campaigns? The detail, quality and scope of which could be 10 times that of L4D1?

It's almost as if people are picking up on a couple of the new features, and presuming that's all the devs have been up to. Doom 2 took id about a year to produce, just like L4D2. All it included was new enemies, one new gun and new levels. L4D2 is including far more new content than that, and Doom 2 is seen as an all-time classic.

I'm getting very tired of this argument now. L4D was a classic and wasn't remotely low on content, it had over 25 levels for god's sake. I've STILL not managed to complete it on Expert, and it's replayability factor is unrivalled. L4D2 will have even more. When a follow up has more content than the original, you can't claim it could be DLC.

12. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

I for one don't get what the fuss is about... L4D was and is an awesome game, and if they're making another one then cool beans, another awesome game to play! I probbably won't buy it until there is an offer on it as I'm so fickle and poor! :D

13. Slyporkie

Slyporkie Fear not the bacon

One question guys, does the dismemberment include your teammates? Can you lop off a teammates arm to limit them to a pistol only?

And on the whole Boycott thing: If you dont like what any company does with what "THEY" own, buy the company and change it.

Valve is not providing a public service (or any one for that matter), they are selling a product, dont like it, dont buy it!

14. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

I enjoy L4D, it's good fun for a quick blast. So regardless of what people are saying here, when L4D2 comes out I will be buying it. I am too lazy to goto town to get it, so I will probably download it from steam.

Yeah, I am that lazy and couldn't care less about paying an extra fiver or tenner to download it. In my eyes I will save that much in parking and petrol.

And also, whether you label it as L4D2 or an expansion, matters little to me, so long as it's fun, it all boils down to parting with some cash to play a fun game, or getting more fun from an existing game.

Sounds fair enough to me.

15. ryall

ryall What's a Dremel?

To be honest, Valve's biggest mistake was releasing L4D2 too early. Of course you're gonna feel ripped off if the game you purchased is superseded less than a year later (remember, not everyone bought L4D as soon as it was released). If they'd waited another year, I'd bet that everyone would be singing Valve's praises and chomping at the bit for the new, fantastic L4D2.

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Good point.

17. zoot2boot

zoot2boot What's a Dremel?

think i'm a bit underwhelmed by the sound of l4d2. although the article has done its best to make it sound good the features described aren't really exciting (wow a zombie that can walk through flames, dynamic weather... amazing) and there's nothing wrong with the first one except it needs more maps. l4d has always felt awesome to play but just not enough maps. release a pack like blue shift or opposing force not a new game.

Tags: Add Tags