1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU ...but i thought 650W was enough

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by mrb_no1, 19 Jul 2009.

1. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

Yo yo yoyoyo bit-techers,

MY psu has died for the second time in 6 months and its an enermax 650w psu.

My hardware list is...
    CPU - Q6600 2.4 Ghz O/C to 3.52Ghz(1.53Vcore)
    RAM x3 - Geil PC 800mhz O/C to 1130Mhz
    MOBO - Asus Maximus II Formula
    GFX - ATI Radeon 4890 (980Mhz Core + 1130Mhz Mem OC)
    Additionals - 2 DVD ROM drives, 6 hdd's, 4x120mm fans and a fan controller.

i was kind of under the impression that 650w would be enough to power this but seen as this is the second time its failed i'm questionning that wisdom as enermax psu's are a good make. i have tried to look for an online power calculator but have come up wanting. if anyone can help i'd be very grateful,

cheers

peace

fatman

2. gnutonian

gnutonian What's a Dremel?

I'm running a 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM, with two IDE HDs, one AGP card and one network card on 550W... so I'm not sure. It could be mine's overkill, or it could be yours is "underkill"?
    Going through your list and comparing our PSUs, I'm hoping mine is not overkill - especially since you've overclocked.

I'm not trying to offend or to question your Google prowess, but have you tried http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp ? http://www.journeysystems.com/psu.php ? http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=psu+calculator&btnG=Google+Search ?

There's a fair amount of decent wattage/PSU calculators online. Surely you should be able to find one to fix your troubles? With the overclocking and amount of drives you may need to adjust it a bit, but - although I'm anything but an expert - 650W for that system seems a bit on the low side?

3. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

cheers, i searched for pc power consumption. but i'll admit my googling was lazy as i'm a bit pissed to be reduced to this crummy little laptop.

the extreme outervision said i was using 564w under load, which is weird, as their cpu'o'meter says mine uses 209 watts on load, and bt's power draw on a 4890 was for arguments sake around 330W..=539w just on cpu and gfx card.

I do believe that you were right mr imperium, i am on the fringe or just over what my psu might like to handle. saying that, it never crashes, it just wont start now that its been shut down. having looked i think the be quiet 850w might be worth a buy. thanks dude

peace

fatman

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

650W should be more than enough for that lot TBH.

Have you got a surge protector on your power line?

5. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

yes but its questionnable, i think its had its day...is also on my list of wishes, know any good ones?

6. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

650W is EASILY enough for that system and even much more! It pulls about 350-400W from the wall on full load is my guess. So even a high quality 400W PSU would power it (albeit a bit stressed).

Most PSU calculators put 50-200% too much into the wattage they give. This one is one of the most accurate but still not 100%: http://web.aanet.com.au/~SnooP/psucalc.php

Last edited: 20 Jul 2009
  7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Agreed you PSU should be more then enough. Either the PSU simply sucks, or it's something else.

8. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

lol cheers

i'll rma it one more time, and if it does it again it'll be rma'd and sold so i can buy something better.

peace

fatman

9. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

650W should be plenty for your system and anyway if you overload the PSU it should auto cut out and then be fine when you reset it (power off and on again at mains or PSU switch). There's no situation where it should fail totally unless it has its own component failure.

Get an RMA and if possible a different make/model IMO.

10. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

My main rig is running on a 620HX with 0 problems. Id say if you do end up with a different psu then corsair Cheesecake.

11. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

smegging hell....

lil story here, the first time i rma'd through enermax it was soo easy, a 5 min phone call in which i exchanged emails with the dude and i had my rma number and send the psu away monday, got my replacement on wednesday, this is the pinnacle of customer service. come forward to the current day and enermax has shrunk its operations due to the economic climate and only has euro offices in germany, so the uk agent is some poxy company called C&J computers. This week alone i've had 4 phone calls to sort this out. the third phone call was me asking if they had received my rma email with proof of purchase (of which they had a whole business day to process) and then they say they havent got it, i insisted they check again and wow, there it is, so they send me my rma number. it was about 4.45pm and i decided i wouldnt go out and send it that day as it would all be abit of a rush, so i send it the next day after having problems printing their sh$$$y rma form which wouldnt print because of their studpid formatting, which after another phone call they admitted they know about and kindly disclosed that they shipped a load of psu's to enermax today(which meant that if i had sent it the night before it would have gone with them) and then they tell me that i'll probably have to wait 30 days for my psu to come back to me having been replaced by enermax in germany, 30 days?!?!?!?!?! what the f%%% are they on, that is ridiculous!

my top tip for the day, dont buy enermax psu's if you live in the uk because their rma service has taken a turn from brilliant to absolute s$$t. I'm furious as you might imagine and have now bought a new psu the seasonic m12D 850w and another 4890 to go crossfire with it. grrr, i'm angry, but i'll be happy on monday/tuesday when my parts arrive from scan, yippi, booo enermax you suck now!

peace

fatman

oh and i know 850w is overkill, and whilst i dont pretend to know anymore but some of these sites with the power calculators had my system at over of 600w, and others alot higher, so i'm not sure quite what to believe. thank you all for your input though

12. numanoid

numanoid Modder

i think ive gone way past overkill :D
    case--coolermaster cosmos s
    motherboard--msi 790fx-gd70
    cpu--amd 955 be
    psu--tagan 1300
    graphics--sapphire 4890 oc
    1--samsung dvd rom
    1--samsung dvdrw 22x
    memory--4gb g-skill
    6x case fans