1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors I'm building my own car... UPDATE - Stoneliegh 2013

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 8 Sep 2005.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

They're Dunlop SP9000's - 205/55/15. I'll be getting my tyre markers out and filling in the Dunlop logos, just for the hell of it. :)

£71 corner fitted inc of VAT, balancing & valve.

I may have been able to get them slightly cheaper online, but then I'd have to wait and go to one of their fitters. My usual local independent tyre fitters had them in, and was cheaper than the rest of the usual high street crowd.

2. GreatOldOne

Been busy all afternoon in the garage, but I'm too tired to update the site tonight - I'll do it tomorrow. But here's a pic, to keep you all interested:

[​IMG]

:D

3. bagman

bagman Minimodder

That looks really cool, i plan to build my own car some day will hopefully be caterham or something similer.

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I found some competition for you if want to try the 'around the block'

[​IMG]

I have a history of many sneaks out of a garage without a hood and 'what did I do with them mufflers'.

Great project GOO

john

5. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Looks great :clap: I reckon it's gonna look really sporty when it's on the ground with the suspension loaded :jawdrop:

Have you settled on a color yet? Have you done some photoshopping to compare colors?

6. GreatOldOne

Caption for picture: Fred Flinstone finally embraces the IC engine. :lol:

MV - one of the other builders did a whole shed load of photoshopping colours, and at the time I was going for black with a red interior. Take a look here:

http://www.msportster.co.uk/detail.asp?cat=11

I'm now thinking of a Dark BRG. Not the bright green that Patrick mocked up! :)

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It's vulgar, and a bit garish, but I like that bright orange he mocked up.

I think BRG would look great, the question is how dark? Bentley Blower or more like C/D-type?

8. GreatOldOne

That bright orange actually made it onto a sportster - one of the other builders had his done in Ford Asbo Orange, and had some custom orange seats with black piping made:

[​IMG]

It looks great in the metal (saw it at Stoneliegh this year), and isn't a colour you'd naturally choose. There isn't another sportster like it! :)

As for the green, I need to see some samples, but I'm guessing Blower green. If my memory serves from the ones I saw at Le Mans a couple of years ago, it looks dark enough.

The Jag green is a little lighter, isn't it?

9. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

That is awesome looking... gives us a freat taste for what yours will look like at least, but everyone knoows sitting in one of these things with the wind blowing through your hair and the engine roaring at you like an angry mob is what the experience is all about! Looking forward to your next update GOO ;)

10. Krikkit

Iirc the blower green is about as dark as it gets really, with the Jags being a few shades lighter, but still quite dark.

11. GreatOldOne

:idea:

Oooooo.

Here's a thought - I wonder what's she'd look like in the Jag Racing Green that was on their F1 cars?

[​IMG]

IIRC, it was slightly metallic, and Jag offered it on their roadcars at the time - so it should be still available.

Waddaya Think?

12. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

It's a nice colour.

[​IMG]

Metallic highlights, shiny is good.

john

13. GreatOldOne

Indeed!

Just checked, and Yes - F1 Green is available:
    JAGUAR JAGUAR RACING GREEN PEARL 1957/HGZ 2002 - METALLIC

They also have a series of classic racing greens:
    JAGUAR JAGUAR RACING GREEN HEN/701 1986 1987 SOLID
    JAGUAR JAGUAR RACING GREEN 705/HER 1985 1986 SOLID
    JAGUAR BRITISH RACING GREEN 254/HDJ 1976 1978 SOLID

There's also something called Brooklands Green, which I assume is another BRG derivitive:

JAGUAR BROOKLANDS GREEN 753/HFG 1990 - SOLID

Need to get a colour chart! :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_racing_green

14. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Great thread so far. Just wanted to make a quick note. Well done for not using cheap nasty wheels like 90% of kit-car builders do (like the orange one at the top of this page). They can ruin a car. the BBS cross-spokes are a nice design and would work well, and if you get bored of them, you could upgrade to a split-rim version later.

Looking forward to seeing this finished.

15. GreatOldOne

Posted a proper update to my blog:

http://www.greatoldone.co.uk/Site/Build_Diary/Entries/2009/7/5_Lights,_Camera,_Traction.html

I made a start on heat proofing the brake lines tonight - I emptied the system with my new toy (pneumatic brake bleeder - Hooks up to a compressor and sucks the fluid through - it's brill! :D) and replaced the weeping low pressure res / feed hoses with some of the blue stuff from CBS. I've sleeved that with some of their temp protect sleeving, and have started on the high pressure hoses to to the brakes.

I've also made some clamps up that go around the master cylinder, on to which an aluminium heat shield will go. No pics yet, as I was told to put my toys away and come in for dinner. ;)

16. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

What about doing the green in a two tone? I was thinking something along the lines of the orange two tone on this site on the second page. I think it would look absolutely gorgeous in green.

*edit* Found a direct link to the image, but it's almost a full meg. Slow internets beware!

link link link link

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I believe LoCost have also moved to a BMW base, and painted their demonstrator white with the M-series red/blue/navy stripes.

18. GreatOldOne

I'm in the middle of typing an update for the blog, but it won't be going up tonight as it's late already... But here's a little taste of what's been going on lately:

SHE MOVES!!!! :rock::thumb:

19. Krikkit

Wow, that's awesome.

Looks like a bit of a poor turning circle though!

20. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

ooooo, i knew it wouldnt be long till it was rolling around on the streets, looks good!

Not as long or as big as the pictures make it out to be, with that silver bonnet i cant help but think of chitty chitty bang bang haha.

Sounds like the engine was being revved alot / idled noisly? Or is that just the camera or some other factor?

I still have to ask, can i come down for a co-drive in it?