1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware First Look: Corsair Obsidian 800D

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Jul 2009.

1. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I understand where your coming from but in today's day and age it is very hard to find something that you are 100% happy with and that doesn't just go for computer gear. Having to make the side panel yourself is an inconvenience and can be quite time consuming/costly depending how you go about it. I would prefer if they sold it with a solid panel and with a windowed option (like Thermaltake do), at least that way you have the choice.

2. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

The complete matt black look is ace. The stealth colour alone is tempting.

However, overall, I wouldn't get this case due to the strange airflow layout:

Intakes on the bottom ? For intaking maximum carpets via the black hole suction ?

only 4 hard drive bays. Too many optical drive bays. Side internal fan for hard drive bay ? Why not just have the front of the case as an air grill design ?

Air exhaust grill on top of case to invite an accidental spillage of a glass of drink with the help of gravity to the black hole's expensive internal components. I would have preferred a larger exhaust at the rear or even two or 3 fans at the rear.

It's good to see Corsiar in the game of case designing. Especially with their minimal designs. But this one is let down by the airflow design; plastic front; steel instead of aluminium; asymmetrical side window; and not enough flexibility of drive bay configuratons at the front. However, in terms of looks, this is one of the nicest looking cases on the market..

3. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Ok id like to ask a question here..., since this case is starting to shape up to NOT be the "the case of cases"....

What today currently is the high performance case of cases? is it the
    Silverstone TJ07B-W V2? a Lian Li offering?

Have any of you guys seen the Cosmos pure is a black cosmos s from what I can figure out.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2009
  4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Don't put your case on the carpet?
    4+2
    Because it would absoloutely destroy the looks.
    Don't put your drinks on top of your PC.

Besides, that spot is meant for a triple watercooling rad so i don't see how it could go on the back. Certainly couldn't have been on the bottom because then you'd be back at the carpet problem.

I agree about the front panel though, i thought it was going to be real brushed aluminium.

5. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

You could put a short strip of wood down on the floor area you are considering putting the case?

Or some thing similar to this

6. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Yeah something like that, or a sheet of PVC, or plexi or whatever.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I made a correction to the article: It's a 3mm brushed aluminium front facia (mounted on plastic.)

8. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Wrong metal (needs to be ALU at that price). Needs a 4 way rad. mount and more room in the roof for the rad. - then I am sold!! As it is this case is big, HEAVY FAIL....

Bob

9. Fredrics

Fredrics Hmm...

I do not understand why everyone wants aluminium - if you need a light case you are looking at the wrong case. Its better to have a case that wont fall over in the wind.

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Yeah, because everyone loves a bit of outdoor gaming.

/sarcasm

11. Redbeard

Redbeard What's a Dremel?

Thanks for fixing that.

I'm the Case & Cooling Product Manager - my name is George. Since Bit-Tech was the first guy up with a preview, I'll be checking these forums to answer some questions for you guys for the next few hours (and maybe on and off during the week) provided it's okay with the Mods/Admins.

If you guys have any questions let me know.

12. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

Looks wise, 10/10! Fantastic! And the cable routing and hotswap are ace.

But it seems to be a bit confused as to what it is exactly. It's not small enough to be a air cooling optimised mid-tower, but just shy of large enough to get the dual loop rads that extreme users would want. Maybe if they extended the hotswap to 5/6 disks and moved it up a little you could fit a 120.2/140.2 in the bottom? They would need to extend the dust filter and perferate the whole base though. Still, be interesting to see how it performs on air.

I'd say its a good first forray into cases for them and the next ones should make good on the lessons learned (i hear a mid-tower is on the way soon'ish). It's a solid OUCH at that price however.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:thumb: Welcome!

I'll go fetch you an avatar :)

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We've tried to fit several radiators we've got in the labs into the bottom section and it needs to be an inch taller, unless you fit a 120x1/140x1 fitted flush against the bottom. Even then we think it will probably get int the way of the PSU cables though - we shall check this.

15. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Indeed, I want to see this case filled with radiators to within an inch of its life.

16. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

Once you install a fair amount of components into a light weight aluminium case, then that is when you begin to appreciate the lightnesss of an aluminium case.

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

I dont understand this "lets-divide-the-case-into-sections-for-better-cooling" approach
    and I doubt its cooling performance is better than average.

18. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Looks pretty awesome to me.

If I were to make changes they would be:

-thicker side panel with holes for fans.
    -1/4" acrylic side window.
    -noise reduction foam.
    -cable clips on back of mobo tray.
    -make room for rads on the bottom.

19. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

The window shape bothers me. The case is full of straight lines, why put a curve to the window!?

Other then that, it looks pretty nice and it is a good first case for Corsair.

20. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Good post but most PC's are not ment to be moved extensively, you put them some place and they stay there.

Tags: Add Tags