1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News WoW to get in-game addiction therapists?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Jul 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

How would they find people who are addicted? If they had a specific place at a specific time wouldnt people just go to spam them :| lol

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

So the best way to wean people off their addiction to WoW is to counsel them...inside WoW?

4. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

I get battered by the mrs when I dont do the dishes `cause i`ve been playing wow through the day.

I`m dubious about what they mean though, most folk do things becuase they like them. Skiing, fitness, reading books, soap operas. I mean if some old dear REALY likes her gardening and gardens every day to keep it looking nice is that an addiction?
    Because games are seen as cooler and more fun basically it`s going to appeal to a broader range of people so `im sure that at some level there will be dependancy issues with a small amount of people who can`t comprehend when enough is enough. It doesn`t actually mean that gaming is addictive.

When it comes down to a kids development, too much time at a pc ain`t gong to be good but then thats the job of the parents to help with the social development. I mean theres kids out there who eat nothing but rice crispies all day every day i somehow dont think they`re addictive.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2009
  5. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Sounds like a good way to get a free WoW sub :p

6. The_EXorcist

The_EXorcist Possibly Australian

Most ppl do things because they like them, but that goes for heroin addicts too, but then, i do consider WoW to be the AIDS of the internet, so i may be abit biased

7. Natima

Natima What's a Dremel?

Hey... I used to go to the Tavistock! Not for WoW addiction mind you... but I did try to send my best friend there for that reason.

8. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

Counseling game addicts in WoW while playing WoW is like counseling an alcoholic over beers at a bar.

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

How many people have you heard of that gardened for a few days straight with no breaks for food or rest and ended up dead?

10. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

I`m with you, the guy must surely be trying to rip a free account lol. You`ll see him in about a years time with 4 or 5 toons in a raiding guild beasting Arthas in some end game raid.

11. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Damn it. I was going to post something similar, along the lines of "Sounds like counseling drug addicts at a crack den."

12. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I'd love to talk to the guy, I NEED HELP!

13. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

That is one hilarious episode of south park, one of my favourites ^_^

I don't see how giving therapy to addicts in game would do anything, anyway you also need to remember that stories get blown out of preportion (can't spell that damn word) like the chinese couple that were addicted didn't feed their kids for a week or something and died, I've heard similar stories involving the same people with different causes for their death, I think it's bull ^_^

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well think about it people... counciling people in WoW IS the ONLY way to help them why you ask because these people who really need help which is like 60% of the players on there lol WONT leave their homes for anything so you have to go to them so ya I hope this works out... any game that has had people actually die from it by way of suicide or lack of eating or whatever other reason seriously needs to be looked at.

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Dr Phil:"okok... here's what you do... log off... for an hour... go do the dishes"
    Patient: "but... but.."
    Doc: "No buts... just go... log off... i'll be waiting here for you... an hour... no less"
    patient: "Ok.../click"
    Doc: "I seee youuu... you're still online... are you doing the dishes???"
    patient: "*sigh* why's it always have to get to this?"
    Doc: "..."
    Patient: "leeeeerooooooooooy jeeeenkiiins"

16. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

In my experience the kind of people who get addicted to games like WoW are the kind of people who didn't have much of a social life to begin with. I have a friend who used to play WoW obsessively but when we started hanging out he cut back and when he met his gf he quit completely.

I know quite a few people with similar stories so I think that saying 'If they quit WoW they'll get a social life' is wrong it's more like 'If they get a social life they'll quit WoW'

17. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

That's essentially what I ended up doing too when both my brother and I (we shared accounts because I'm cheap) ended up losing interest because we found RL things that were more rewarding... That and after playing a lot, I soon realized that a good amount of the people on there are idiots.

18. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

This is idiotic. It's like treating alcoholics for their addiction at a bar.

19. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

lol can't wait to camp them on my rogue.

i ****ing hate shrinks.

20. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Sounds like the doc might be a bit addicted himself. I'll counsel if you gimme 100 gold so I can get leet gear!!!

U B game adikt?? Gimme al U ownz & go N peec ma frend. U B heeled!!!

Tags: Add Tags