1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mass Effect 2 will reset Shepard's skills

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Jul 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

I can't actually remember how ME worked with regard to items, but iirc you won't be able to use certain items anymore? So basically the only thing carried over (unless they dump you with 200 items to sell?) will be your choices and who died etc? Why the cryptic bs...

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Fair enough to me, you'd split the playing base down the middle. Remember your choices have a huge effect on the game, everything from who lives to who's in control of the galaxy at the end.

4. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

That's what I was thinking. I wonder what the default starting point will be though.
    Who will be dead/alive if you don't have your savegame, Ashlely/Kaidan/Wrex?

I think I actually have both savegame files from the 2 times I completed it, is it really going to be worth keeping them so I can play through ME2 again from a slightly different starting point after having completed it the first time?

5. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

It's settled then. I'm getting ME2 on PC. I got all the achievements on the Xbox version, and couldn't decide which version to go for now (since I have a gaming PC). If my 360 game save is only going to transfer decisions across, well, I can live without that to save some money on the game and have better graphics.

6. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Tut tut Joe...

7. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

reset skills? Please Bioware, not another amnesia storyline... :(

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

..Is anyone REALLY that shocked?

Really?

You didn't seriously expect them to let you start a new game with level 60 skills, did you?

9. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

I'm a bit miffed about the whole "losing everything" point. I remember games like the Wizardry series let you carry over save games, and when you started, you had all your old kit (whether you could use it was another matter for your level) and enough XP to get to level 5. Maybe that's a better solution, or maybe I'm just a wuss who likes continuity beyond dead people.

Although, considering there's a Salarian scientist, a Krogan warrior, an assassin, and a planet full of hot blue women the likes of which William Shatner can normally be found cavorting with (plus "You're a human before a Spectre", etc, so there'll be plenty of non-blue wimminz), I can't see us actually "missing" anyone who may or may not have vanished.

And now for the funny side of that last statement!
    In AD 2183, war was beginning.
    Shepard: What happen?
    Kaidan: Somebody set us up the bomb.
    Joker: We get signal.
    Shepard: What?
    Joker: Main screen turn on
    Shepard: It's you!
    Saren: How are you gentlemen!
    Saren: All your Ashley are belong to us!
    Saren: She is on the way to destruction!
    Shepard: What you say!!
    Saren: She has no chance to survive make your time.
    Saren: Ha ha ha ha....
    Joker: Captain!!
    Shepard: Take off every "ZIG!"
    Shepard: You know what you doing.
    Shepard: Move "ZIG!"
    Shepard: For great justice.

And yes, I DID type that out.

Xtrafresh likes this.
  10. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

maybe everyone will start at level 61......... more skills and powers to learn and pick up as the enermy is getting deadlier maybe????

11. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Well, the people who've got up to level 60 - I doubt they're gonna be playing on Casual, so level-scaling is in place...
    I just wants me a Krogan, a Pistol, and Master Marksman, and then I can quite happily walk through the game. I reckon a 6-hour finish is possible on ME1 with those 3 things, so ME2 shouldn't be too bad. I just hope it's long enough, without dragging it out.

Oh, and as for amnesia, does anyone remember Kaidan's throwaway comment on the ship "If they give you the L3 biotics, one slip and you don't remember your own name"?... Just a thought...

12. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

You should have put a comma after "Tut tut". If you're going to go after other people's grammar, you'd better make damn sure you don't make any slip-ups of your own! (I bet I get caught out now.)

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

slept with ashley but I didn't get any of the blue chicks or oxygen tank face.. she said something like get on the floor and give me 20 :D

kicked wrex in the face but I didn't want to.. the game was off the hook- played on crt with grain and it was like watching a movie.. hope they keep that effect

reset of skills doesn't bother me too much.. didn't backup the saves

14. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Agreed.

It's been done to death, that particular plot idea.

15. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

It doesn't have to be amnesia... Given all the crazy explosive stuff that happens at the end of ME there's more than enough scope for some kind of random energy wave to have happened and mysteriously wiped all your biotic/killathon skills....

16. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

True.

I just think they'll go the easy route and say the Prothean beacon damaged his/her brain somehow and that, basically, is amnesia. ;)

Still, only playing the game will tell for sure, so I'm more than willing to be proven wrong. :D

Last edited: 30 Jul 2009
  17. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Or in the new teaser, when you
    see Shepard with a ghet's head.
    Could be the reason...

18. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

I found the choices in ME were lame and had basically no bearing on anything except a couple with regards to the main strory, the vast majority did nothing excpet got a different response from a NPC. Hope ME2 is better in this aspect, it was way overrated in ME1.

19. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

personally i think shephard's persona will be transported to some sort of Geth or other machine lifeform.

20. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

I helped myself with the extensive use of the command console to avoid their stipid characher "design bucket" and create a Shepard of my own. Added a super-protective suit (never needed since I play very slowly, strategically and carefully) since i don't like the God mode (load from previous save; jerk approach).

Antares

Tags: Add Tags