1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS2 outselling PS3 and PSP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Jul 2009.

1. xprodancer

xprodancer life is like a box of chocolates

I will always stick to gaming on my pc! much better system than any console! so why spend that amount of money on a console when you can get an upgrade if needed like someone posted earlyer in this artical! you could get some good hardware for that price! if you know where to look anyways!!!!!

2. dec

dec [blank space]

its good to already have a PS one and PS two. all i need to do is wait until PS3's get cheap as i already have a 1080p screen for it.

3. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

PS2 is a great console, it's better than the Wii (technological advanced)... The motion control is the only difference between the 2...

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Hmmm... now that I think of it: I can't wait for September when a friend of mine from Hamburg comes to Vienna. He still has my PS2! :grr:

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Thats assuming they make a loss on the PS3 any more, they don't publish those numbers, but one thing thats not been picked up on in a lot of these sites that are Doom mongering for Sony and its PS3 is that the Q1 financials call mentioned a 70% cost reduction of manufacturing costs of a PS3, its estimated to be a more reasonable $240 these days, so while it might not be selling many, its not loosing on them and the results are due to a general downturn in the economy thats hit Sony's broad portfolio of tupically high priced entertainment products.

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I don't understand why. If you've got a back catalogue of PS2 games, you already own a PS2. You just agreed with me in your first point by saying that people don't drop their old games. I certainly didn't - in fact I've bought more PS2 games than I have PS3 games since I got my PS3. If you want to play PS2 games and not PS3 games... why buy a PS3 to play PS2 games? While I can only speak for myself, I've had no 'major inconvenience' in gaming with my PS3 hooked up to a TV alongside my PS2...

Aye, I barely touched my GameCube. But then, I did buy it for MGS: The Twin Snakes, FF: Crystal Chronicles, Rogue Squadron II and III and the Zelda games pack that came with it (lots of game time in that one!) so once I'd played all of them through a couple of times, other stuff displaced it.

This is very true. Sony are very tight lipped about the costs of manufacture. Still, it is better to assume they are losing money on every PS3 sold still, rather than making it... because that means that the picture is better, not worse, if I am wrong in that assumption.

7. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

By the time their serous efforts to punt blu-ray on us all and take over the media format wars we`ll be storing everything on diamonds <.>

ps3 has a back catalogue of truly average titles with a few exceptions, and really is GT5 going to be THAT much better than everything else. Sony had better hope so with very little dedicated final fantasy support and future metal gear minus kojima even going multi format and also GTA being long gone from their grasp.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

subs post just states whats wrong with consoles, All based on who can stump up the most cash for exclusive deals.

PC for life

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You go on like like the PS3 offers nothing, it has plenty of new IP that is worth playing never mind the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 13th iterations of stuff we've all played before, regardless of what it has it doesn't have the price on its side like PS2 does, times like these people are more cost conscious, the PS2 is cheap and so are its games that is the reason it still does well, so it outsold the PS3 big deal, it and the PSP outsold the 360 too and they have closer parity in price, that's even more surprising, course that not mention in the news here.

Last edited: 31 Jul 2009
  10. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

My PC seems to be backwards compatible with nearly all of the PC Games I've bought in the last 10+ years. I say 'seems' because I have only installed the older games that I really wanted to play again. For example, Lords of the Realm 2 was published in 1996 I think (bought it around that time). I still have the original disk in decent condition as well as a burned CD i use to install/play the game. After about 20mins or so online searching for answers, I was able to get it to run on Vista. (Had the same problem before with XP I think, but I had forgotten how to resolve it)

Eventually, old hardware will fail. My original NES died about 6 years ago and it was surprising that it lasted that long. Computers eventually stop working too, but being able to buy a new computer and still play the same old games on it has been the reason I've stayed away from consoles.

Tags: Add Tags