1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince

Discussion in 'General' started by Ryu_ookami, 15 Jul 2009.

1. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

There was a small battle at the end of HBP. The film makers had thought that having a battle at the end of each movie would be too repetitive, so they omitted it from HBP, opting for the larger battle instead.

Yes, Harry Potter borrows heavily from a number of different mythological and fantasy sources. For that matter, Tolkien also borrowed heavily from mythological, fantasy, and historical sources. Most of the character names in Tolkien's mythology can be traced back to Norse and Old English literature, for example.

Tolkien was considered one of the leading Beowulf scholars in his day; he was intimately familiar with the story. Tolkien knew that the name Beowulf can be translated (euphemistically) from Old English as "Honey Eater," noting the association with bears. It is interesting, then, that Beorn (the mighty woodsman from The Hobbit) not only takes his name from the Old English word for "bear," but is also a shape-shifter - he can take on the form of a large black bear. Both characters are large, powerful warriors, and their similarities indicate that Tolkien very probably borrowed from Beowulf when creating Beorn.

I think it is short-sighted to criticize an author for using source material. In the end, most fantasy stories can be boiled down to archetypal characters and basic divisions between Good and Evil. Many of those stereotypes are born from traditional epic forms: The student; the wise teacher; the student overcoming adversity to become self-sufficient; reincarnation.

-monkey

2. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

I geeked out a little and had to look up info on the battle at the end of HBP... It'll be annoying that they left it out to me but apparently the only death aside from
    Dumbledore
    in the book was B-Team Death Eater.

spoiler alert (/obvious)
    http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_deaths

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

What a load of toss 3D is... Just made my brain hurt. It's blurry and inconsistent.

Oh, and the film was a pile of cock too.

4. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

p.s. I love men (Hi dom! :D)

Friends are *****...

Last edited: 17 Jul 2009
  5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

My Brother took my nephew to see it yesterday (the first film my nephew has seen in the cinema & he fell asleep about a 1/4 of the way into it).

Now my brother has not read any of the books but he's always enjoyed the films, but even he thought this one was a waste of time. He's asked me to explain what it's supposed to be all about (as I have read the books) because he couldn't make head or tail of it.

6. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

oh dear, i enjoyed the final books as rowling actually got into the swing of the characters. its a shame they couldnt transfer that feeling of hopelessness and struggle to the final films. what a penis eating competition.

7. Mr Flibbles

Mr Flibbles I'm not part of the solution....

Wasn't fussed with 1 & 2, the saw prisoner of Ascaban (excuse the spelling) Gary Oldman held the film imo, he is a good actor and always makes the most of his part, but then he wasn't in the following film, just a voice over.

Goblet of fire was lame, was trying to be dark, and seemed to fail. so HBP not going to see it, will wait for download.

8. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

[some pretentious drivel about how harry potter is **** and then some half baked reason why my intellect is far superior to that of JK]

O wait, you all got that covered! :D

I don't like they
    missed out the dursleys again
    and I didn't like that there
    wasn't much of a fight at the end
    - and i didn't like
    harrys attitude when under the effects of felix
    . The
    CGI was done well
    and the
    important character buildings bits (the romantic stuff, which is fairly core to the book)
    were done very well, even if they did
    mix it all up a bit - but that's their prerogative :)

Certainly it could have been done a bit better, but all in all it was funny, well finished, reasonably true to the story and got the important parts across - it was a yay from me and all my friends :)

People criticising JK for sourcing should try to come up with a unique set of things to have a in a story that blend well. Its not the characters or the types of beasts as a whole, its how they are all strung together - and she does it very well in a very nice and easy to read manner. Easy to read is key in an age where kids are more and more just spending time on their computers and not reading.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  9. Ransoman

Ransoman What's a Dremel?

I saw this on Friday with my Gf. I actually really enjoyed it. I have never read the books and i was quite surprised by some of the events at the end of the film.

10. Slaughter

Slaughter What's a Dremel?

Well all shonen have an Orochimaru/Voldemord kind of guy. Look Samurai Deeper Kyo.

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

It is the first film i've ever fallen asleep in. Utter tosh.

I would have asked for my money back, but I wasn't paying.

12. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

This :thumb:

Me and my mate saw the 10:30 showing last night at showcase delux. Brilliant film - loved it. Of course stuff was chopped, always is with the HP films. The one thing I would've liked to have seen put in was
    the apparation class, as its a rite of passing for students, but as they de-emphasized that for the Weasley twins (they just show them apparating), I guess they would've found continuity issues with including it.

Other than that, I really felt it did communicate exactly what I felt the book was about -
    how Tom Riddle became Voldemort and what Harry must do in order to beat him once and for all
    and for that I'm very happy with the film :)

13. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Saw it at the IMAX "3D" and I must say, that was the biggest disappointment in the world. The 3D crap ended right after Harry reached the Burrow. Wtf was that? It was 3D for 10mins of the movie. Effin ********. Bleh!

Movie wasn't that bad though it left much to be desired.

14. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I have to goto Imax by myself. Marilyn and Ryan both have vision problems that induce vertigo. Turn a horror movie into a comedy when they both fall out of their chairs. The Imax "Flight" sent both to the washroom for barf bags. Hilarious laughter when they are gone. Serious when they come back. :D

john

15. DarkLord7854

Don't even bother. The parts in 3D (beginning) are not even worth seeing in 3D. It's just a massive waste of money mate.

16. squirrelly

squirrelly Running with scissors

I really felt like the whole movie was rushed and horribly abridged. They could have done a far better job with some of the IMO better elements, such as
    the internal struggle Draco was going through and the background into Snape as the HBP.
    . The special effects where great however. Hopefully the last movie won't be a let down.

17. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

3 hours of absolute tosh. All scene setting and no actual go! Half of the book was missed out, the rest of it wasnt in any sort of order. A great disapointment.

Andy

18. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

A reminder for the sake of perspective, lest any of the boys and girls get too bold atop theirs, as is the depressing tendency in discussions of the arts.

19. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

Please, Please, Please don't tell us you consider J.K.Rowlings work to be a work of art...what a depressing thought.

20. DarkLord7854

Are you implying the book(s)/movie(s) are/is a work of art..? Lol..? :lol: