1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning How to Get Started?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by H2O, 1 Aug 2009.

1. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

Hi everyone!

As you can probably tell, I am brand new to bit-tech. I have been browsing these forums for a while now, so I decided that it was time to join. It looks like you have an amazing community here! :thumb:

I am the very early planning process for my first mod, but I have a few questions. While I am experienced with building computers, my modding experience is limited to installing watercooling in my current computer.

1) How do you get started on your first mod? Since I do not have access to some of the most basic modding tools, I wanted to keep it simple by using a DD acrylic case (either Tower 26 Black, Double wide, or a custom case, depending on whether I can get sponsored or not).

2) How do you get sponsored, and how does it work? Do the sponsors let you keep the parts, or do you have to send them back? Do they expect you to bring you mods to LAN parties or are they contempt with pics on the internet? Is it possible to get sponsored without any prior modding experience?

3) What tools souls a beginner modder buy? It would help if I got sponsored, as I am a student and don't have large amounts of money to buy drill presses and Dremels if I am spending money on the mod itself. :waah:

Ok, thats all for now, thanks for helping me out!:dremel:

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

3. mcnaryxc

mcnaryxc teh case is a lie

I know I'm new to bit-tech but I've done a couple case mods (on Overclock.net) and I'm a college student too.

My suggestions are to set a budget for the case mod itself. I set mine at $200 and go from there. My first ever mod was taking a beige box that I got for free and went to town on it. $150 and 2-3 months later, I had Portal:ATE done.

You can't just get sponsorship without some type of mod completed. You need to show that you are committed and have talent they are looking for, especially in these tough economic times. I have two done and I don't really expect anything soon. Although, I have had some local stores that I've sponsored for them but all I got were discounts.

As for tools, I would start with a jigsaw, drill and dremel. I bought my dremel ($25) but I borrow my jigsaw from a friend and a drill from my dad. Other tools like sand paper putty knives are cheap and worth having around. You don't really need fancy tools.

Other than that, just have fun with the mod. Make it something you'll enjoy.

4. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

you don't need a drill if you already have a dremel, a dremel is a one-stop tool when it comes to small projects

5. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

For tools I would suggest checking harbor freight and your local tag sales, I've picked up loads of tools from garage sales, some in near perfect condition, for a small fraction of their original price. You don't need anything fancy for a first (or second) mod, a low end wired drill, dremel, files, sandpaper, jigsaw, and paint are all you really need to start (and you don't need paint depending on the mod.

I'd also suggest learing sketchup (dl linkie) to render your ideas and to check how your project looks before you start cutting.

6. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

A hacksaw, a file and a handheld drill will take you a long way. A pencil and some paper will take you even further.

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Sketchup is a great tool.

Although I'm still a novice at it...

Solidworks is pure amazing if you can manage to grab a copy though. And really shop around, don't spend hundreds of dollars on cutting tools, especially on your first.

8. H2O

Thanks for the info! :)

I am currently playing around with two mod ideas: a radioactive-themed mod on my Stacker 830 and/or a ice-themed mod on a Tower 26 I am hoping to purchase.

I was planning to have them airbrushed, and I was hoping SmoothCreations would do them. Does anyone know what a ballpark figure would be to have them paint it? I don't want to ask them directly for fear of what the price will be. :)

9. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

A dremel is not a suitable replacement for a drill. Dremels can't spin both directions, they spin too fast, have no torque and are not cordless.

10. H2O

I already have a good cordless drill. If I did buy anything, it'd probably be a Dremel or a jig saw.

11. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

I tend to mod using pretty much just a drill, jig-saw and files, with the dremel only coming out for difficult to reach cuts. Don't get me wrong, dremels are great tools, I just don't find them that useful. Other people swear by them though...

The most important tools I have used thus far when modding, with the most commonly used (by me) first:
    Rulers/measuring tapes, pens, level.
    Drill (w. Drill bits, screwdriver bits, holesaw bits)
    Saws (Jigsaw and hacksaw)
    Clamps
    Pop Riveter
    Files
    Taps
    Dremel
    Soldering Iron (may be more important depending on what you are doing...)
    Heat gun
    Lots of random things (like a broken pen and a butter knife...)

Laz

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

If a dremel is all you can afford then you will just have to make due with it

13. Elton

You can always improvise though, it's not too hard, but just make sure the things you're using are safe...

Don't ever try cutting wood with a katana..

14. koksy

koksy What's a Dremel?

Draw whatever you plan to make in something like Sketchup first. I've been working for 2 months now, and I've changed the concept 3 times now. YOu really need to plan it completely perfect, else you end up spending way more than you can afford.
    nooooooo, my plan is ruined!!

15. Elton

Yeah, on most mods I've done, I've spent more time on revising the damn thing @ the drawing board than actually working on it.(Mainly because I've got the tools on hand).

Sadly I'm not too good of modder and most of them are just small case mods. And the occasional AV equipment mod..

My lack of dedication for big projects(my Antec 300 is collecting dust due to my neglect), isn't the best I can say.

16. jaxson50

jaxson50 GPU Folding@home Team member

Tools

I've done one mod. It's a poor mans no case available mod. I had enough parts left after my last upgrade to make another pc (minus the case of course). I happened to have an old cheap computer desk not in use in the spare room. The only tools I used were a drywall saw a drill and a box cutter! Low and behold, a fully functional computer desk! Computer included! JUST ADD MONITOR.

LOL! It's great will post pics someday!:clap: