1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Looking for a gaming mouse with 3+ key bindable buttons...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Secret_Machine, 5 Aug 2009.

1. Secret_Machine

Secret_Machine What's a Dremel?

I used to own a nice Saitek 1600 dpi mouse, pic of it below

http://www.futurelooks.com/uploads/206/gamingmouse.jpg

Having given it to my lil bro, I'm looking for a new mouse, but am finding it infuriating how sneaky manufacturers refer to a mouse with "x" number of buttons, where "x" could include the scroll buttton, main 2 buttons and the profile/dpi switching buttons.

The Saitek mouse in the link had the two main buttons, plus 2 on the left side (pressed with thumb) and another one on the right (unseen in picture, but on large curve on the right hand side and pressed with side of 4th finger), plus the middle scroll button. All of these were bindable.

I'm looking for a mouse like this, with at least 3 programmable, key-bindable buttons, excluding the 2 main ones and the scroll button (don't use it). Any ideas? So far I can only see the Razer lachesis, but this is quite expensive.

Many thanks in advance

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

The universal solution to all problems: Logitech G5.

It has two buttons on the side, two on the top (that are for the quick dpi-adjustment BUT can be re-bound in the software) and the scrollwheel clicks to the left and to the right so you can bind those too.

3. =WBG=cpt_custard

=WBG=cpt_custard ferret

4. Secret_Machine

These mice all look great, however as you can see with the saitek mouse i had access to 5 buttons without moving any of my fingers! Index on LMB, middle on RMB, tip and middle of thumb on the two left side buttons and side of ring finger clicking the button on the right hand side button. The G5 and Sidewinder look like they only have buttons to the left (thumb) side and is it difficult to quickly press the middle buttons of the G5? I'm so use to not moving a finger and having all fingers but my pinkie resting on 5 buttons in total!

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

the G5 second version have 2 buttons on the left for thumbs. the top buttons are easily pressed and the mouse wheel's tilt left/right can also be assigned. that's 2 thumb buttons, 2 tilt directions plus 2 middle buttons outside of standard 2 button + scroll wheel.

eg, i assign Back thumb button to be Armour, Forward thumb button to be Speed, tilt right to be stealth and tilt left to be strength in Crysis.

it's personal taste, but im not a fan of having thumb resting on buttons, as i tend to hold them tight thus may accidentally hit those buttons when moving the mouse.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If you want buttons, and dont' care about DPI switch and 8 billion DPI marketing crap, check out the MX Revolution.

- Wireless so the wire is never on the way
    - No lag of any kind
    - Comfortable (right handed only)
    - You have 5 buttons that can be access with the thumb with little movement (Back/Forw buttons, and the side wheel is not a wheel but rather a 3 button switch that goes up/down, and you can press down at the center position). Then you have the top "Search" button on the mouse that you can use. All of these buttons are configurable and can be assigned keyboard buttons or keyboard shortcuts. The provided software allows per application/game configuration.
    - Long battery life about 1 week before recharge after intensive use (that is my tests)
    - Lithium-ion battery is in the mouse.
    - Good weight in my opinion.
    - 3 year warranty with Logitech fantastic service.
    - Using encrypted 2.4GHz signal to not get in conflict with other 2.4GHz devices unless you have a working microwave or a router under crazy load between the mouse and receiver. Having my 2.4GHz wireless N router on top of the computer case which is next to the desk, 2.4GHz wireless phone on my desk, 2.4GHz Logitech VX Nano Mouse next to my laptop which also on my desk, shows no sign to interference.

Oh and the main scroll wheel is in metal, allowing you to scroll up/down left/right when you work, and the left and right action on the wheel is configurable as well like the other mouse buttons.
    So, EXCLUDING the Left and right click buttons you have 8 configurable buttons that you can use for your games.

Last edited: 5 Aug 2009
  7. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

You can operate the mswheel tilt buttons with your index and middle without moving them off of the LMB and RMB. So that's 4 buttons without any effort, and the other 2 are easily reached by moving your index or middle just a centimeter.

8. Secret_Machine

OK I'm sold-they seem quite cheap too! Thanks

9. GoodBytes

10. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

logitech g9 is really nice, great feel in the hand very acurate, a pleasure to own.

11. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

12. GoodBytes

Patients, I say! It's just a month :)

13. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

14. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

grrr :grr: Im just glad I didn't order that Razer Lachesis last night :)

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

16. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

+1, I bought an MX Revolution yesterday, the dual-mode scroll wheel is awesome.

17. GoodBytes

See! Now you won't be able to use any normal mouse scroll wheel.

18. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

19. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

it does have weights http://www.flickr.com/photos/blogitech/with/3795804228/

20. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Hmm. Black weight caddy. Sexay.