1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iPhone takes third of smartphone profits

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 6 Aug 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I'd always take things like this with a pinch of salt. How on earth has he come to these figures? Does he know how much it costs each of the manufacturers to make their phones? Does he know how many iPhones Apple have actually sold, because their famous for being very cagey about actual sales figures. How is he even defining a smartphone? Throw the Nokia 5800 into the mix (which is arguably a smartphone) and suddenly the iPhone doesn't look so unbeatable. Working in the market research industry really opens your eyes to the amount of pure ******** that gets spread around.

3. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Sure this was on TR a month ago, gratz CNET + Bit

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

What I'd like to know is just what the total market share of smartphones is..... I know everyone has them in California, but how about in the real world?

Personally, I know few people who are prepared to dump so much money into one.

5. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

its deserves them
    only other choice is the pre

6. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Their actual market share is pretty damn small. There is a topic on the news section of the guru3d forums. I'm on my Blackberry (heh, irony) at the moment, so finding it would take too long (I'm also at work!), but I will link it later if you want.

7. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Irony? :jawdrop:

8. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

9. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Way to introduce an enormous amount of bias into the article. For instance, "certainly nothing to be sneezed at for a first attempt at a handset." Really? I was under the impression they were on their third of fourth iteration of the iPhone. Just because their business philosophy involves simple trademarks that are all-encompassing does not mean multiple versions can be lumped into a single release.

I would also be interested in viewing the third-party reporting company that provided many of the statistics listed.

10. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Marketing and Propaganda at it's finest. Pay a company to produce inflated results, spread such reports around, and let the viral effect of the internet push the agenda around, and when it's all said and done, the original company doesn't have to be held accountable, but gets the publicity anyhow.
    But I guess that's the way of the world.

11. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

How does this 'propaganda' suggest anything other than the fact that Apple can charge such high premiums for their phone? I love my iPhone but this report doesn't make me enjoy using it any more, it just reveals how much I've had to pay to use it. Way to fail

12. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I actually meant this one, but they both have the same numbers. Although this one has a lot of details on the whole of Apple's ranges and their market shares.

13. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Sad.

14. fodder

fodder Minimodder

At which point did you look at the hardware ability of the iPhone and think 'Yep, that's equivelant to phones of the same price'????

This is apple, they always overcharge for mediocre hardware that is, admittedly, very nicely designed to look at.

As long as people will pay that price, they will keep on selling it at that price.

15. Surnia

Surnia What's a Dremel?

why do these articles keep calling the iphone a smartphone?? the thing cant even send data through bluetooth, let alone multitask.

Also I have to ask... 32% of which smartphone sector? the US only? Nokia holding abut 40% of the cell market, with samsung and Sony close behind (all three being actual smartphone makers), i highly doubt that apple's profit margins even come close to the top 3 of the cell world.

16. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Actually the vast majority of the industry class a smartphone by whether it's operating system can support third-party applications. The iPhone's OSX can, therefor it's a smartphone.

Tags: Add Tags