1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Batman: Arkham Asylum (Demo + Retail!)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by vdbswong, 7 Aug 2009.

1. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

So, the demo was out today on XBL and apparently PSN users had it by yesterday already! *shakes fist at forgetting*.

Has anyone DL'd and played it yet? I personally think the demo has just cost me £40-60...

Anyhow, the combat system seems to work fairly well (although i did notice some clipping issues with Batman's cape lol) and is rather easy to pick up but i have reservations as to whether or not it's hard to master... especially since countering an opponent requires a simple button press when there's an indicator over the head of an enemy. Although i've heard that feature is disabled in the "Hard" difficulty so it could be rather fun :D.

The combat didn't appear to be the focal point of the game which was good however the demo didn't really provide many opportunities for problem solving and the gist of it just seemed to be "go into detective mode, have a look around" which made it seem a bit basic/too easy.

The main highlight of the game did appear to be when in a large room with multiple enemies, planning each takedown so as not to get caught/seen and promptly making an escape. The stealth aspect seems to work fairly well since the silent/instant take downs are most effective and whilst it *is* technically possible to rush in and use the freeflow combat, the enemies armed with guns can deal some serious damage. Another highlighted aspect of the stealth mechanic i took note of was that if you did the glide kick from the front, the enemy still notices you and guns into you as you take him down thus losing health. Obviously it's sounds expected but i remember quite a few other games essentially "locking in" a stealth kill so that enemies couldn't react to you and as such it appears as a nice touch imo.

Another thing i guess i "liked" about it was the health system which, although unreal seemed to be rather fair. According to the little notes onscreen you get awarded health for finding secret areas and for taking down henchmen. Obviously not very realistic however it puts emphasis on doing things stealthily and not being noticed although even if you do rush in, if you're quick about it you can either break even, lose a small amount or even gain a small amount.

IIRC Mark Hamill (aka Luke Skywalker) voiced the Joker and he appears to do a rather good job of it. A little less nutcase/anarchistic than Heath Ledger/Dark Knight but still rather good imo.

Anyhow, i'd definitely recommend the demo and am currently trying to justify to myself the cost of the collector's edition... since who doesn't want that Batarang ? :lol:

[​IMG]

2. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

What's up with all the collectors editions lately?
    Seems as if there is a race going on between publishers who can come up with
    the most random/useless stuff of which 90% will land in a box or closet anyway, so why
    bother paying the extra price? Its something different if a collectors edition contains
    some redeem code stuff to unlock something in game, as that actually has some form of use,
    or if I pay a hundred bucks for a cheap plastic NVG to put next to my cheap plastic Master Chief helmet.
    (although that helmet was pretty cool...must.resist! ;) )

/anyways loading demo now

3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I've been looking forward to playing this for a while. Thanks for the heads up on the demo. :thumb:

4. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Just to mention, it's also available on PC, demo here on FileFront and here if you're a RapidShare or NetLoad user.

(2.04GB apparently)

5. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

it does look like it will be an awesome game! Will have to play the demo!

6. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Demo is on Steam as well !

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I like it. It took a while before I got into it, but now I have I can't wait! :D

8. n1k_

n1k_ Ex Lurker

Ridiculously short, but a lot of fun - not a clincher for me personally, seemed a little simplistic in the end with one click takedowns. I could see myself enjoying it for a few hours then getting sick of it.

It was very pretty and ran very smoothly, though what was with the Nvidia only multisampling...

9. Krikkit

I don't know about it being too short - half a level is pretty reasonable.

I know what you mean about takedowns, but the inventiveness is what's more interesting to me, rather than the actual mechanic of the takedown itself. After all, Batman should be able to take you to pieces easily, one click should be enough.

10. DaveVader

downloading through steam as we speak :D

11. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Just done the demo on pc (got it from gamershell.com).

I maxed it out, but switched physx off as i don't have a 260gtx.

Loved the characters the joker seemed truly mad, nice dark feel to the game, played smoothly no probs their.

My only complaint is that it felt very scripted, like i wasn't having to really do very much.

Don't know if i would buy, but it was entertaining.:thumb:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Aug 2009
  12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

tbh most first levels are as an introduction into the game mechanics, i wouldnt worry about it.

13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

They should've let you defeat the mini boss/boss, would've been a much much better demo

Also: I managed to find two trophies, anyone get any more?

14. Krikkit

The first part was very scripted, but taking out the 5 guys at the end was more like the gameplay from what the trailers imply. That was a lot more free-ranging.

15. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I only found two as well :(

Yeah, it was the end part that i thought was best, i played it through about 4 times and although the i took out the first 2 people the same way (they never realised the first one had gone so didn't react :D), the last 3 were always different and it was fun to plan/think on the go.

I agree that they should have let you take on the mini-boss though... not quite sure how they'd deal with that.

16. DaveVader

That was awesome, oh how I want that game!

17. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

it keeps crashing for me, the monitor switches off saying it has no signal... still have sound though, then have to reboot the computer. bad times. anyome have anything similar or ideas as to a solution?

18. Slaymate

Slaymate bit-tech Slayer

19. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I really enjoyed the demo, which was a surprise. Think of getting this on PC when it comes out now.

20. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Loved it. I found it really played the characters well, and I absolutely loved the detective mode BPM and condition stats.

Made me giggle when I hung one of the enemies upside down and watched as the status changed to "terrified" and he screamed and stuff before going unconscious while the other guards ran over and got scared. They then reassured each other by saying, in very shaky nervous voices, that "it's ok, it's all going to be ok, we're in control here, the joker has it all planned out" :lol:

Totally picking this game up when it releases.